What is your favorite Hereford bull?

Help Support CattleToday:

Hill Creek Farm

Reaction score
I will say that mine is the BRL CALL 100L. He is thick, thick, THICK. Also raises champions in the show ring. This is my favorite, but what is your alls favorite bull?

Matt

Braxton Giant bloodline out of New Zealand

braxton1.jpg
[/img]

I've been looking to AI, and just judging by the pictures and EPDs, I've narrowed it down to 5.

VPI Limited Edition J921
CMF RF Genetic Phase
PW Victor Boomer P606
Huth 17Y Prospector J013
KT Top Secret 1030

All very nice looking and well numbered bulls. Some more proven than others and some more expensive than others. Just my $.02

Based on the bulls that we've used, I would have to say Feltons 517. Deems like every bull we've used he's either the sire, GS or MGS.

dun

We don't use Hereford bulls, of course, but I've seen some really good looking Churchill Blaze 6110 sons sell. Commercial cattlemen liked the ones that the old K74 ranch sold in their production sales. I do see that ABS doesn't have his photo in the catalog this year. I wonder why?

My real favorites are JTJ Buckshot 7B (now deceased after working into his 15th year) and D Rupert Tone 641 (still going at a ripe old age.)

Of nationally known bulls, I'm going to have to say that 517 and Mark Domino 8020 are hard to beat, but I have so many I like it is hard to say. I like Farley and Timber and the Huth bull, "Tank," among several. There are a number of 517 sons and grandsons that I admire. BRL Call is a show bull who also has some carcass numbers that are good,and was raised by real western cattlemen/women.

Huth Propector N065 . Young bull that sells in the Nebraska sell this month. I've arranged for some semen for AI use and I believe that it can be obtained by others. He has the 3008 Mr felt in his bloodline as well as the 517 Feltons bull.

The CMF genetic phase, Mr Felt 3008 , and DR World Class are attractive too , and they also trace back to 517 Feltons.

I can't help it but Remittal 122 online really looks great to me , but he sure could use a lower Birthweight and calving ease trait.

CattleAnnie":1b0sp0mr said:
I really like this particular bull. He goes back to some great cattle bred by the Hanson Ranch boys (prefixes HH and Bell L). They sure did have some awesome cattle. Shame they're retired now, but they left quite a stamp on the breed here with their stock's genetics.

http://www.barpipe.com/sires/32f.html

Take care.

I've admired the Sandman bulls for several years, but the atrocious BW scares me off.

Kind of a sidebar here but, at what point do you guys consider a hereford bull to be a hard calver?

The reason I ask is that I've been looking at AI bulls for a few weeks now and I'm seeing a lot of bulls with negative 2-3 CED and BWs of 5-6+. Now, I'm just getting into the EPD side of cattle, but those numbers seem to be going the wrong way for people like me who want to breed replacements.

Anybody care to share info on personal experiences with bulls that are in these marginal ranges? Like, in the hereford breed, at what BW do you typically start having calving problems from a hereford cow?

We only crossbreed so it may not be germain to the question, but there is a lot more to look at then just BW. Some heavy calves come easy, some light calves come hard. I look at CE and want something at least in the +4 range or higher. And if looking for replacements I want a MCE at the same range. Then milk enters in as well as WW and YW, and scrotal is very important.

dun

El_Putzo":24u9w3ng said:
Kind of a sidebar here but, at what point do you guys consider a hereford bull to be a hard calver?

The reason I ask is that I've been looking at AI bulls for a few weeks now and I'm seeing a lot of bulls with negative 2-3 CED and BWs of 5-6+. Now, I'm just getting into the EPD side of cattle, but those numbers seem to be going the wrong way for people like me who want to breed replacements.

Anybody care to share info on personal experiences with bulls that are in these marginal ranges? Like, in the hereford breed, at what BW do you typically start having calving problems from a hereford cow?

tough question El_Putzo. there's really no "set" point for us on BW epd's. one of our last herd bull purchases is a +6. of course we wouldn't use him on heifers but no qualms about the mature cows. but.....we've also seen some of our cows spit out 100 lb calves with no problems. do we want them that big? no, but the point is that they can do it, and you have to know your cowherd as well as the bull you're looking at.

if you're worried about birthweight, probably one of the safer things to do is to purchase (or a.i. to) a bull that already has calves on the ground. check his actual bw, the calves' birthweights and his epd and its accuracy.

Though I favor polled herefords, it is hard to argue with C-S Pure Gold. He slaps as much muscle on an english bred animal as I have ever seen. It appears his daughters are getting it done as well. I saw two CL Domino 212M bull calves out of Pure Gold last weekend in Ft. Worth that had more muscle expression than I think I have ever seen on a hereford.

El_Putzo":1drk6mqu said:

The advice already given by txag about BW & CED EPD's and breeding heifers seems in line with my thinking. I don't know where the threshold for calving problems falls based upon EPD #'s alone. There's a lot of other factors that can influence calving problems. If you're wanting to breed replacements, I'd pay close attention to the CEM EPD for any potential sire. So what, if you can get a calf on the ground successfully! Can that calf grow up and deliver a calf without problems? That's where the CEM EPD comes in. If you're not breeding replacements, you'd be looking for a terminal sire, which means CEM is of little or no importance. Then WW, YW, and M&G EPD's take a larger role, along with the carcass EPD's.

Latest posts