what is your favorite breed and why.

Help Support CattleToday:

Polled Herefords and British Whites

Have to be able to make it on grass and grass only.
Docile and easy keepers.
Good market for herefords in East Texas
Whites for yield and grade compare to Angus
Whites most Docile cattle I have ever dealt with.
Whites are very fertile and calving problems are virtually unheard of.

British Whites!

They are the best because:

1. Calving ease
2. Docile temperament
3. Beauty
4. Carcass yeild very high
5. Lean yet tender beef
6. Very Fertile
7. Great milk producers
8. Disease resistant, very hardy
9. Climate adaptability
10. They are a royal breed of cattle :D

BlueSagePrairie":2aa7qfor said:
British Whites!

1. Calving ease
2. Docile temperament
3. Beauty
5. Lean yet tender beef
6. Very Fertile
7. Great milk producers
9. Climate adaptability

Thought I was the only British White fan crusing the board

Springer by conditions, I was refering to the land they are running on,Do you need 20 acres a pr or only 3 acres a pr.Is it native ground or seeded pasture, and your management style.do they calve on grass , winter or spring. Grazing management etc.

You gave 10 good reasons, why Murray Greys work for you. :) :) now what do you think your average cow weighs.

I like Polled Herefords and their crosses. They are our "family breed" since the 1920's. They are very calm and easy to work with, can scrounge a livin' off of anything, have an interesting history and they are very attractive and chunky. I could list more reasons but I would be repeating other posters.

Copenhagen & Shiner B":1q9vpf5v said:
Campground Cattle":1q9vpf5v said:
Polled Herefords and British Whites

Whites most Docile cattle I have ever dealt with.
They are more docile than herefords?

Whites almost make the Herefords seem wild they are very affectionate cattle. They will come to you without coaxing (range cubes) to be petted.

Whites almost make the Herefords seem wild they are very affectionate cattle. They will come to you without coaxing (range cubes) to be petted.

Interesting. I was just reading a book this morning that says British Whites were originally native to the mountain regions of Scandinavia and brought to Britain by the vikings in the 8th century.

Campground Cattle":xi71tx0f said:
BlueSagePrairie":xi71tx0f said:
British Whites!

1. Calving ease
2. Docile temperament
3. Beauty
5. Lean yet tender beef
6. Very Fertile
7. Great milk producers
9. Climate adaptability

Just found this board yesterday, and couldn't resist bragging about my British Whites. I agree with you, they're very docile, if they ever get out of the pastures, I just open the gate and point and they'll go back in :D

Anonymous":30ty46y6 said:
Campground Cattle":30ty46y6 said:
BlueSagePrairie":30ty46y6 said:
British Whites!

1. Calving ease
2. Docile temperament
3. Beauty
5. Lean yet tender beef
6. Very Fertile
7. Great milk producers
9. Climate adaptability

Just found this board yesterday, and couldn't resist bragging about my British Whites. I agree with you, they're very docile, if they ever get out of the pastures, I just open the gate and point and they'll go back in :D

Register and join us some really knowledgable people on the board.

Campground/BlueSagePraire

Thanks for telling us about British Whites. What would a mature cow weigh.
:) :)

frenchie":soeeyrnx said:
Just curious as to your favorite breeds and the reason why.. :) :)

I like the Polled Hereford cattle for their gentleness. I live alone and take care of them. I don't want any mean ones. Plus their meat is as good as the Black angus if they're fed the same. it is just an old wifes tale that got started that Angs is better. I have raised both. It depends on how tame they are how good their meat is. The tamer the better.

Rachael

Herefords do more things well in more climates than any breed I know of. Plus you have the white-face guarantee-anything can be black anymore! My bull has sired calves that weighed up to 294 at 53 days on Momma's milk alone!

greenwillowherefords":2ywb2v0m said:
Herefords do more things well in more climates than any breed I know of. Plus you have the white-face guarantee-anything can be black anymore! My bull has sired calves that weighed up to 294 at 53 days on Momma's milk alone!

Horsefeathers there is no perfect breed, I love my Herefords they do not bring everthing to the table. There a lot of factors on what is right for you for every operation. I own a breed I think out performs them but have not caught on. I am glad we don't all own Angus, Herefords etc. what a boring world that would be. Good cattle yes Great cattle maybe the only cattle no way.

:) I'm not saying that everyone has to have Herefords. I am saying that you can't show me another breed that is successful in as many climates and countries, while still crossing well with any other breed, and producing beef that is second to none. Certified Hereford Beef is the #1 rated beef in its category. With 0ver 60% of the nation's cattle now black, it is definitely time for some white faces. Herefords are the #2 marbling breed.

greenwillowherefords":jvprsx32 said:
:) I'm not saying that everyone has to have Herefords. I am saying that you can't show me another breed that is successful in as many climates and countries, while still crossing well with any other breed, and producing beef that is second to none. Certified Hereford Beef is the #1 rated beef in its category. With 0ver 60% of the nation's cattle now black, it is definitely time for some white faces. Herefords are the #2 marbling breed.

So far from what I have seen British Whites beat them.

Campground Cattle":7gppsxsk said:
So far from what I have seen British Whites beat them.
Campground, why don't you put one of those Whites on feed and call us when the steaks are ready? Or you could just bring 'em.....

Latest posts