What Is This (And What Do It Do)?

Help Support CattleToday:

boondocks

Reaction score
I'd like to learn more about farm machinery. So I'm starting a thread in which ignoramuses (ahem. that would be me, but others with no shame can post queries too) can post pictures (from CL or elsewhere) and ask the collective brain trust: "What Is This? And What Do It Do?".
Now, when I say I know nothing about farm machinery, I mean I.know.nothing.about.farm.machinery. Please do take me literally and don't talk about xg7demodulators. :D

Ok, here goes nuthin: What is this, and what do it do?
"International Flail Chopper":
https://utica.craigslist.org/grd/6180161121.html

First one is well.. a flail chopper.. essentially it chops the forage and blows it into a silage wagon to make silage.. There are versions without the blowers as well.

Second one makes those long rows of wrapped silage.. basically stuffs it into a long bag.. it does look pretty beat up though

Yeh the 1st one cuts the forage with multiple swinging hammer type flails attached to a rotating drum very similar to rotary hoe and the speed of the flail flicks the cut forage up the chute.

Ken

I like looking on equipment sites. There is a lot of equipment you see up north you don't see down here. I was looking for a feed grinder almost all of them were up north. I think there was only one in Texas and it was in bad shape and expensive. There is also equipment brands up north I had never heard of had to look a few up.

Yes, manure spreader.. seems quite similar to our International unit, but the price is getting up there.

Around here we call it a rock spreader :p This one doesn't look like it's spread too many rocks though

Nesikep":rm0874i8 said:
Yes, manure spreader.. seems quite similar to our International unit, but the price is getting up there.

Around here we call it a rock spreader :p This one doesn't look like it's spread too many rocks though

Looks like rusty galvy on some old tires. Overpriced?
We have LOTS of rocks around here. Many days I feel like a rock farmer.

As long as the tires hold air, it's all they need to do.. they're usually all worn out old semi truck tires anyhow... I do think it's a little expensive... I will say the drive system looked to be in good shape, and the nylon? floor is nice. Good units are hard to find and do go for good money though

Generally flail choppers aren't used for silage as they don't chop super fine so packing the grass into a bunker isn't as effective, also fresh chopped grass is too wet for silage and the flails don't pickup windrowed grass as well as a true silage chopper. But in a pinch it will work for that.

What they were marketed for and what I use mine for is green chopping feed for the cows to eat immediately. I have areas around the farm that aren't able to be fenced and aren't really worth making hay on, so in the spring of the year I will go through and flail chop the feed onto a wagon and then feed it out right away, never chopping more than about 24 hours worth at any one time (as it will start to heat and mold quickly). Also use it in the fall to chop and feed out second crop hay to the cows from areas that I can't graze.

chevytaHOE5674":k066g61l said:
Generally flail choppers aren't used for silage as they don't chop super fine so packing the grass into a bunker isn't as effective, also fresh chopped grass is too wet for silage and the flails don't pickup windrowed grass as well as a true silage chopper. But in a pinch it will work for that.

What they were marketed for and what I use mine for is green chopping feed for the cows to eat immediately. I have areas around the farm that aren't able to be fenced and aren't really worth making hay on, so in the spring of the year I will go through and flail chop the feed onto a wagon and then feed it out right away, never chopping more than about 24 hours worth at any one time (as it will start to heat and mold quickly). Also use it in the fall to chop and feed out second crop hay to the cows from areas that I can't graze.
Interesting. Do you have to be careful about getting noxious weeds in from the marginal areas?

We don't really have any weeds in our area that are toxic to cattle so I don't worry too much, but if you did you would have to be careful as its hard for the cattle to distinguish what they are eating they just shovel it in. I bought my chopper a few years back for a couple hundred bucks and now I wouldn't give it up for nothing, it allows me to utilize forage from areas that would normally get brush hogged, or just let get overgrown.

So this really isn't a piece of equipment, but it's something that needs fixing. I'm guessing it's some kind of pressure relieve bolt because it spits gas out of the hole as I'm cranking the handle on the pump filling gas tanks. I picked this tank/pump up from a friend and it never spit gas while he owned it. I've had it now for about two years and it just started doing it this winter. How do I fix it or where can I get a new one to replace it?

Not sure what it is, but do you think a hydraulic breather plug would work? They are only a couple bucks so if it doesn't work you aren't out much.

Latest posts