What is the world coming to ???

Help Support CattleToday:

Both of my girls barrel race, so I go to quit a few. Just a rough guess, in my area about 10% of all barrel racers are men. As a general rule, they are usually some of your faster times. It's not my cup of tea, but if they enjoy it then more power to em. The deeper we get in to barrel racing the more desdain I have for the sport. I bought a bumper pull trailer my wife Tahoe can pull not to long ago. I'm hoping she can take over the majority of the running associated with it. I will say it makes a young person a better horseman. Both of my girls can out ride my son, and they all spend about the same amount of time in the saddle.

Grandad said the world started turning to shyt when they started putting headlights on tractors. I have a vivid memory of him saying that but didn't understand it then. I suspect everybody can think about that just like I did and come up with multiple reasons for his theory.

I used to be married to one. She was good enough to just stay a place or two behind the money, but that kept her going and going. She's the reason I don't care for macaroni and cheese.

I have patterned a few barrel horses in the past but it had a whole lot more to do with me wanting to sell a horse than it did me wanting to be a barrel racer. :mrgreen:

The horse shows I went to as a kid , most of the barrel racers were boys.they had rescue races and pole bending ...it ain't always been a girl event..it was 75 percent horse and 25 percent rider...

Ouachita":w0718uua said:
Grandad said the world started turning to shyt when they started putting headlights on tractors. I have a vivid memory of him saying that but didn't understand it then. I suspect everybody can think about that just like I did and come up with multiple reasons for his theory.
Some of these old boys that plow and plant all night might not agree with that. Just not enough hours in the "daylight".

I don't consider those guys sitting straddle a million dollar cuttin' horse as much of a horseman. Looks like a monkey would get the same results. I'm probably wrong but it appears that way.

I've heard talk of the American, but not completely sure how it works. The pool of candidates must not have come from the wpra.

ALACOWMAN":2lfghytn said:
The horse shows I went to as a kid , most of the barrel racers were boys.they had rescue races and pole bending ...it ain't always been a girl event..it was 75 percent horse and 25 percent rider...

:nod: :nod: :nod:

When I was young it was mostly boys/men who ran barrels. It was somewhat frowned upon for girls and they were looked down on for running barrels.

Times sure have changed.

Katherine

I didn't have an opinion about this guy, because i didn't know him. I just figured he was like a bunch of em. I did a little research about this guy last night. It turns out he doesn't fit the mold I had in mind. He's not the rider that has had money throwed at good horse his whole life for him to be fast. His horses aren't running on "juice". He's definatly in the minority being a guy, but he runs a clean race, and trains his own horses. Before somebody trounces on me, I'm not saying your favorite barrel racer is doping, and couldn't ride a stick horse on plowed ground. Im just saying this guy climbed to the top.

When I was a girl (manymanymany years ago) a family around here had a Shetland Pony mare.. She could fly! They'd haul up to a rodeo with what looked like an empty trailer and unload.. Then you'd look around and all the big name barrelracers would be loading up and going home. They didn't want to be beat by a kid on a pony. :lol2:

Latest posts