What is the most PURE breed left

Help Support CattleToday:

Rustler9":rsina5br said:
ArrowHBrand, what is the pure breed that you have there, Kemo sabi? Just because you may not like them other people do. State your breed though so someone can run it down. That seems to be the norm on here now. Hate to bust your bubble but the Longhorn breed is made up of other breeds that evolved into a type over hundreds of years. Approximately 80% Spanish breeds with 20% Eurpoean, Hereford and Durham, a dash of Brahman in some cases which was supposedly culled out. Nowadays, alot of Longhorn cattle have other breeds that have crept in to be more competitive in the show ring which is undesireable to Longhorn purists who want to keep the easy calving and hardiness traits in the breed. But, they do cross very well with other breeds.

WHOAH calm down fella! I was just kidding, nobody these days can take a little good humor jibbing any more. Gee whiz! As a matter of fact I am thinking of taking on LH X Char crosses and have posted in this board to get more information. Next time before you jump the gun re-read a post you may not have taken correctly the first time. I realize LH came about by crossing other cattle to create a SEPERATE breed. Are there not purebred LH's left? I seem to think so that is why I think LH are the purest cattle breed.

Sorry, have to defend my breed of choice. Yes, there are plenty of purebred Longhorns left. We have several. Glad to see you're considering the breed, think you'll like it.

That is exactly why the Highland and Galloway are still pure for the most part. Never gained in popularity. One of the main reasons we love 'em.

Us too. Of course I'm just one of those *#@! 'hobby farmers' so what do I know. I only have 15 Belted Galloways so far but that should change come late spring.

We're looking at buying some Belties right now. Been talking to a couple different sources, but price and trucking is a bit deterring. The quality of cattle is exceptional, so we'll see what happens I guess. I always said if we were going to get some Belties, they would not be here as pets or decor. They'd be top notch stock and pay their way like the black Galloways, by raising herdsire quality bull calves or replacement females. So if that's my criteria, I guess I have to expect to "pony" up some dough and buy the best right? ;-)

There is a group of Gelbvieh breeders that are raising only Fullblood Gelbvieh's. That is about as pure as I know. I am sure that there are other groups out there raising only fullbloods.

To answer the question on Red Poll, the assoc has a breed up program. As for the dairy influence it also goes to the Herford breed as well, Perfection ring a bell to any one?

In the US it's the buffalo, in the Ukraine and Canada it's the musk oxen, in asia and africa it's the water buffalo.... ;-)

Kychi":y40pcb2t said:
To answer the question on Red Poll, the assoc has a breed up program. As for the dairy influence it also goes to the Herford breed as well, Perfection ring a bell to any one?

Please explain the breed up program that you say the Red Poll Association has. I thin you may be misinformed.

Yes they do allow appendix registered cattle but to be registered as a purebred it must come from two purebred animals.

That is what I was meanig by that post. I know a fair amount about the breed, more than I would like to admit.

Kychi":1tkgytgg said:
That is what I was meanig by that post. I know a fair amount about the breed, more than I would like to admit.

That still doesn't explain your statement. Please explain the breeding up part that you think the association allows.

MikeC":3b71bnmr said:
What is a breed?

by Roy Wallace and Harlan Ritchie

Jul 1, 2006 12:00 PM

What is a breed? Is there really such a thing as a purebred?

Let's begin by defining what a breed is. The late Hilton Briggs, the quintessential authority on breeds and author of the book, "Modern Breeds of Livestock," defined a breed as: "a group of animals that, as a result of breeding and selection, have certain distinguishable characteristics."

Briggs goes on to define a purebred animal as "an individual both of whose parents are duly registered in a Registry Association."

It's interesting to note that Briggs says nothing about "breed purity" or "percentage of blood" in either definition. If one delves back into livestock history, it can be concluded that very few populations of so-called "purebred" cattle existed. Rather, nearly all breeds were developed by combining various strains of cattle within a region into a generally agreed-upon type.

British breeds

The Shorthorn breed was created by selecting the best of the native, short-horned cattle in northeast England and infusing them with a small amount of Galloway blood. The Hereford breed was developed by infusing the native cattle of Herfordshire in southwest England with Flemish cattle imported from the low countries in Europe.

Shorthorn blood is reported to have been introduced into the Angus breed at an early stage of its existence. And the Red Poll breed originated in the English countries of Norfolk and Suffolk where some Galloway and Devon breeding eventually found its way into the breed.

As near as can be determined, two British breeds appear to have remained free of outside blood — Galloway and West (Scotch) Highland.

Galloway originated in southwest Scotland's Galloway province. When the Romans first populated England, cattle roamed the region's forests. These indigenous cattle became the progenitors of the Galloway. Today, Galloway are recognized as the oldest breed of beef cattle in the British Isles.

The West (Scotch) Highland originated in the rough, mountainous region of western Scotland. It's known these cattle were bred for centuries in the West Highland region. Consequently, it is nearly as old as the Galloway breed.

Continental breeds

Meanwhile, the first Charolais cattle in the U.S. didn't come directly from its mother country of France, but via Mexico in the 1930s. These cattle were then crossed with other breeds in the U.S. The same is true of the first Charolais to be imported from France through Canada in 1966.

The Charolais breed as it exists today in the U.S. is largely the result of a grading-up process. Charolais bulls of French descent were used on British cows, primarily Angus, Hereford and Shorthorn.

In the late 1960s and early '70s, a wave of bulls from other Continental breeds were brought into Canada and used in the grading-up process on British breeds of cows. The new breeds included Simmental, Limousin, Maine-Anjou, Salers, Chianina, Piedmontese, Belgian Blue, Romagnola, Marchigiana, Tarentaise and Normande.

After 4-5 generations of upgrading, these new breed associations registered the animals as purebreds. Obviously, there would still be a small amount of genetic material remaining from the base British cows.

Some final notes

A final note regarding the purity of the Continental breeds is in order. By the end of World War II, Europe was in total chaos, and cattle ran loose in many regions. As a result, a significant amount of interbreeding occurred.

It's also important to note that during a period of type change in the late 1960s and early '70s from overly small, fat cattle to growthier, leaner types, there was some unethical infusion of Holstein and Brown Swiss blood into the Angus breed, as well as Simmental blood into the Hereford breed. In some instances, such cattle were detected via blood-typing and removed from the herd book. In other instances, they weren't.

During the 1970s, the American Shorthorn Association established an appendix program in which it opened its herd book to Milking Shorthorn, Irish Shorthorn, Australian Illawara Shorthorn and Maine-Anjou blood. This served to enhance the performance and carcass composition of the breed.

Finally, we come full circle and return to the initial question, "Is there really such a thing as a purebred? The likely answer is, It all depends upon how you define "purebred."

Harlan Ritchie is a Michigan State University distinguished professor of animal science. Roy Wallace is Select Sires' vice president of beef programs. Both were named among honorees selected for the "BEEF Top 40" published in September 2004.

Just a quick note If you are going to quote Harlan Ritchie, although as you noted he is distinguished he is also could be known as the father of crossbreeding and the bastardazation of the beef breeds in Michigan. And if you read what was posted it just trying to justify what the crossbreeders have done to the breeds.
Also if you don't think there is holstein in Angus I was told by an reg. Angus breeder that I think it was Mr. Angus had "Mule Foot" a condition known only before this to the Holstein breed. Also as a reg. Hereford breeder I keep asking (but get no answers) if there is no cheating or fooling around in the breeding programs of rep. breeders then why does, and has for many, many years, the American Hereford Association offer blood typing, and now DNA typing kits readily for its members, no why do you want this or need this inquiry.

That is an easy question to answer. The purest bred cattle I know of never changes and always works. I have created this breed myself and it stays constant have never let anything else into the line.

Every year late spring when I see the neighbors cows showing signs of heat I unhook the bottom 2 wires on the fence and let my bull tiptoe under them wires for a visit. He gets to stay for 5 days then he has done his job and I bring him back to his pasture. The guy works out of town so he gets to stay with the gals for 5 days at a time but usually he gets them in the first 2 trips.

Funny as can be when the guy walks out there every spring and to see why his girls are acting funny and he finds nothing then about 3 days later he comes over and tells me he thought he saw a calve in his pasture but can't find it now am I missing any. Of course I say no and of course about 3 more days go by and there is this little things runing aroud in his pasture.

He just can not figure out how his 3 cows have had calves for the last 3 years since just him and me with cattle on the road and he sees my fence and gates closed. He thought one year there must have been a bull from the next road over traveling or something.
He was given these animals and never even had a cat before. It works out I watch over them for him while they grow all summer and I take 2 of them to the sale with some of mine for him and then he has one butchered and splits it with me each year for watching over things and helping him. So he gets $$$ for 2 weaned sales, pays to have one butchered and all are happy and the breed remains the same.

The breed is called me and the neighbors

Wewild":3ed13l9y said:
What is the most PURE breed left in the USA.

I am not smart enough to start a poll.

I would start with the big ones if I could.
angus
hereford
simmys
Lims
chars
Red Polls.

Help me out please.

North Devon ??

mind235":3mplxo6r said:

He just can not figure out how his 3 cows have had calves for the last 3 years since just him and me with cattle on the road and he sees my fence and gates closed. He thought one year there must have been a bull from the next road over traveling or something.
He was given these animals and never even had a cat before. It works out I watch over them for him while they grow all summer and I take 2 of them to the sale with some of mine for him and then he has one butchered and splits it with me each year for watching over things and helping him. So he gets $$$ for 2 weaned sales, pays to have one butchered and all are happy and the breed remains the same.

The breed is called me and the neighbors

:heart: Sweet Story !

dun":29ec89nt said:
andybob":29ec89nt said:
North Devon ??

I'm not sure which Devons they are but one of the studs now has black Devons

South Devons I think have blacks now.

Andy Bob, went and read some history. You are correct about the Salers being added in too. The N. Devon and Salers seem to be very similar.

Salers have black now.

I guess that would leave Red Polls as one of the purest breeds that haven't went black. :D :D :D

Jovid":pvyd5dsk said:
I guess that would leave Red Polls as one of the purest breeds that haven't went black. :D :D :D

:lol: You're looking strong Jovid.

What about the Welsh Blacks for purity ? ( they're already black).

i would like to say herefords...but every now & then i see one with some black hair in them :roll: maybe on the charlois.

Latest posts