What is the most PURE breed left

Help Support CattleToday:

Wewild

Reaction score
What is the most PURE breed left in the USA.

I am not smart enough to start a poll.

I would start with the big ones if I could.
angus
hereford
simmys
Lims
chars
Red Polls.

Help me out please.

I dont know if I could agree with the angus I heard some time ago Angus breeders added some holstein blood to go up in frame has any one else heard of this

THG":2ogqe4dy said:
Hereford and Angus

THG

I have heard rumors that the herefords might have added some simmental back in the day, maybe a little red Holstein too. Lately some hereford breeders may have added angus, which means chi and Holstein to get Black Herefords. :D

Of course those are just rumors, I am sure they went from frame 1 to frame 7+ in 10 years on really good selective breeding. :)

My choice would be MGs, I doubt they were crossed much.

vs_cattle":32o0pa27 said:
I dont know if I could agree with the angus I heard some time ago Angus breeders added some holstein blood to go up in frame has any one else heard of this
No, never heard of it. Probably just another great rumor to spread about the Angus breed.

THG

KMacGinley":2lb0dubz said:
THG":2lb0dubz said:
Hereford and Angus

THG

I have heard rumors that the herefords might have added some simmental back in the day, maybe a little red Holstein too. Lately some hereford breeders may have added angus, which means chi and Holstein to get Black Herefords. :D

Of course those are just rumors, I am sure they went from frame 1 to frame 7+ in 10 years on really good selective breeding. :)

My choice would be MGs, I doubt they were crossed much.

Actually I thought MOST of them in the U.S. were bred up by breeding Angus cows to Murray Bulls. Even though they can all trace their lineage to Murray's Shorthorn cow on the top side, most of them are just as genetically diverse on the bottom side of the pedigree as American Angus if you go far enough back.

Good luck trying to find something that's pure anymore. Even Longhorns have been diluted, especially for show purposes. I've heard of the Angus/Holstein breeding up. I remember when they were small, stocky animals and all of a sudden they had all of this added frame. Oh well, just selective breeding. That's what they say in Longhorns.

Why not":2oujbz6d said:
charolais probably the purest of all listed next herfords., probably followed by red polls, then simmetals. Then it dont really matter it would be a toss up. :cry:

Im a fellow Charolais person and it all depends on how you look at pure if your looking for pure Charolais then I guess your talking about Full French Charolais cuz American Charolais are know as purebreds which are in one way or another bred up from other breeds to gain numbers here in the state I guess thats how other breeds also work there breeding up program

I'd say there would not be any proper pure or fullbloods left in the US.
Possibly the only unadulterated ones left in Australia would be some Fullblood South Devons,Galloway and maybe a Charolais or a Fleckvieh.I would say there may only be about one herd of Herefords and maybe one Angus that would have cattle that could be traced back to English/Scottish lines.
XColin

generally speaking those breeds that don't and have never (officially) allowed breeding up programs will be more pure than those who allowed breeding up programs, so I'd say the british breeds such as hereford an angus would certainly be more pure than those breeds who allowed breeding up programs like simmental and limousin for instance.

I am sure there were times in both the hereford and angus breed that undeclared breeding up was going on, but it was never allowed.

Basically all the breeds that still looks more or less like the original will be purer than those breeds who changed colour ;-)

Wewild":f3tb5b48 said:
What is the most PURE breed left in the USA.

I am not smart enough to start a poll.

I would start with the big ones if I could.
angus
hereford
simmys
Lims
chars
Red Polls.

Help me out please.

Angus, of course, along with Herefords. Simmis, Limmis, Chars, all allowed breeding up. The Angus and Hereford Assns have never approved infusion of other breeds.

I don't know much about Red Polls. Would they be considered a major breed. How many were registered last year?

Not saying there wasn't any shenanigans in either breed but if you look wayyyy back at Hereford, Angus and Shorthorn cattle there were BIG cattle long before the 1980's.

Frankie":2xg73pti said:
I don't know much about Red Polls. Would they be considered a major breed. How many were registered last year?

No they wouldn't be considered major as you well know.

Maybe you can tell me how many were registered as I don't study that aspect of the business.

If your talking pure, wouldn't it be a more obscure breed like Piedmontese, Belgian Blue, Romagnola. I mention the 1st two b/c for the type of cattle they are, what advantage would they gain if they did cross up? Romagnola I don't know hardly anyting about, I just consider them an obscure breed that may present a pure lineage.

Just trying to play devil's advocate and suggest a possible different way of thinking to answer your question.

Santas and Duhram Reds":16feq9xl said:
If your talking pure, wouldn't it be a more obscure breed like Piedmontese, Belgian Blue, Romagnola. I mention the 1st two b/c for the type of cattle they are, what advantage would they gain if they did cross up? Romagnola I don't know hardly anyting about, I just consider them an obscure breed that may present a pure lineage.

Just trying to play devil's advocate and suggest a possible different way of thinking to answer your question.

Good post. There was an obscure breed on the list.

vs_cattle":d8t6zl3j said:
They have. I've bought the calves. Really don't like the heat. Heat is really hard on holstien steers being fed high protien rations the heat is even worse when they have all black hides.

Latest posts