What is the going rate for shoeing in your area?

Help Support CattleToday:

Miss Daisy":2uxsclza said:
Hippie Rancher":2uxsclza said:
I was thinking maybe it was related to drier harder feet out west, but then you would think trimming would vary more as well wouldn't you?

I think its more to do with charging all they can. Most horses are shod these days and most dont know how to do it themselves. Therefore, farriers are necesary. They probably up the prices on shoes because more people get shoes than just a trim. Also, there are not many farriers in our area, so they are more in demand. Resets arent even offered around here

When I was shoeing for the public I would charge extra to do resets. I can shape and fit a new shoe in 1/3 the time it take to clean and reshape a used one and the used shoe was more likely to come off then a new one.Z

Well... I am in S.Fla...Broward County. You are looking at $75 for a reset at the farm $100 for new tires. If you are at the show grownds in Wellington (Palm Beach) it can be anywhere from $150 to $250 depending on clips, pads, holes for studs..., what ever the latest and greatest trend is. My grandpa once told me if the shoer has to hot shoe they dont know what they are doing. Heat um up to bend em is one thing, but if the shoer needs to burn the hoof, your next call is the vet... Ive never had to cal the vet but did have to call 911 once. A new boarder came in and didnt want to have my farrier do the work, so they called in this new guy... big attitude, no talent. Horse had never been hot shod, knocked the guy stone cold out... he never came back, but to get his truck. Ive had the same guy for 10 years and he charges me $50 a set, and $35 for trims on the babies, and anything not needing shoes. I have one horse that needs new shoes and pads every other time... $75....heavy horse.
Jake

Here in Oregon we pay $75 for shoes all they way around- reset or not. $50 for a 1/2 shoe- not sure what trims are. The show horse barns are more of course. Back in CA you couldn't find someone to even touch them for less than $125 for keg shoes. That was the basic shoeing job- most were more. It was getting pretty painful. Hunter/jumpers $350 & up, corrective shoeing $100/foot & up.

$30 trim
$90 to $100. new shoes / same to reset

Specialty shoes like sliding plates $125.00

No discounts. We have 5 that we are riding now, 12 head in all. I only put shoes on the ones that are being shown. Everyone else is trimmed and hooves treated with Keraflex Hoof Hardener.

What they charge around here varies greatly from $65 to $90 for four feet shoed. Plus in most cases you are hauling the horses to the farrier.
However the ones in the $90 range are way better basically because they know what they are doing and dont beat on your horses if the horse leans on them a bit.
About hard on the back.
Just a thought but a farrier I know made himself one heck of a nice cradle. Im getting the pattern off of it and getting one made for myself. I have seen cradles being offered for sale but none as nice as my friends homemade rig.
Anyway those cradles work!!!!! As far as I can tell they are the best thing since gun powder.
Another thing you might want to think about is this. Maybe instead of owning one or two horses and paying to put shoes on them. Maybe it would be cheaper for you to just own more horses and ride barefoot? Example less miles per horse.
It all depends on what feed costs in your area and what kind of riding your doing. But it might be something to think about.

I'm paying $65 for shoes ($70 for my half draft 'cause he's a size 3!) and $25 for trimming. Can get a break if I get with the neighbor and the farrier can make a day of it at the one place. Cost of fuel is hurting everyone.

Our farrier for our horses at home charges $65 for a full set of regular shoes, $75 for a full set with sliders on the back, $25 for trims.

Our regular farrier charges $20 to trim & $65 to shoe & we take the horses to him. We had a new farrier come to the house today as my husband has to have knee surgery and we aren't up to hauling the horses right now. He charged $30 to trim and charges $65 to shoe.

Our regular farrier taught equine anatomy at the U of WA and is excellent & dependable. The new fellow is young, very good and apprenticed with his dad. He's had no formal training & couldn't answer some medical/health questions put to him by my 10 year old friend who was observing his work, but he's a good, honest fellow and he did good work today.

Just had the shoer out yesterday for 2. He's now charging $70 for shoes and $35 for trim - Fuel is driving everything up!

Any where between $45 and $60 in S. W. Ark. per horse to reshoe. The lower priced one is a young man getting started and is pretty easy to get lined up to shoe. The higher priced is a more "exprencied" farrier that stays pretty busy and is harder to get to come over.

;-)

Just had 3 done today. I'd had someone else working on them that became so unreliable I had to find someone else...and in a hurry.

Two were trimmed for $25 a horse and front shoes were put on the other for $45. Had shoes been put on all four, it would have been $65.

The old horse that got shoes...that guy earned his keep. The horses feet are so odd shaped and crumbly that he worked a looooong time to get it just right. Plus, he'd needed work for about 2 weeks (that's the reason I finally found another farrier). I appreciated the time spent.

One of the trimmed horses got, well for lack of a better word, horsey. That guy dodged his hind feet a several times...that brat.

I think I got one heck of a deal for $95 considering'...

Alice

Just found out it is going to be $70, includes trim and shoes on front. I am not telling my hubby about this one, comeing out of my own pocket so he can't tell me to "sell the horses!"

Our farrier charges $24 a trim and $54 for a trim and front shoes. He's one of the most reasonable in our area. One farrier (who doesn't even have a great reputation) told me he charges $100 for a trim and front shoes. YIKES!

My guy (who is great, by the way) charges for a pony trim $20, $30 for horse, and $40.00 for draft size. I only shoe one of my horses on the front feet. For her trim all 4 and shoe front 2 he charges $40.00 shoes included.

Latest posts