What is it?

Help Support CattleToday:

dun":3ehvxcxw said:
Looks like a young black rat snake to me. But I;m sure no expert.

Yes. Juvenile Black Rat Snake. Elaphe obsoleta.

Juveniles may not look like the adult.

Seems every banded snake is a copperhead. And every snake in water is a cottonmouth. I guess it sounds more exciting.

If I can see it in person I can tell you what kind of snake it is .. but looking at a picture is difficult .. there's not a snake in southeast texas I haven't caught or killed at some point .

I usually classify snakes in two types. good snake=dead, live snake=bad

inyati13":2jwpt8oh said:
Seems every banded snake is a copperhead. And every snake in water is a cottonmouth. I guess it sounds more exciting.
Sad but true. One verified cottonmouth hereabouts in the last seventy five years, yet every snake anywhere near water is a "moccasin".

ga.prime":13ltwbka said:
inyati13":13ltwbka said:
Sad but true. One verified cottonmouth hereabouts in the last seventy five years, yet every snake anywhere near water is a "moccasin".

GaPrime, I've been in the woods all my life. And like you, I've only seen 2 cottonmouths in all that time. One here, and one down between Hazelhurst and Denton. 99% of folks think a plain ole water moccasin is a cottonmouth. They don't even look close to the same. A water moccasin stinks terrible too. Most people just want to kill em all.

JMJ Farms":opkzve5t said:
ga.prime":opkzve5t said:
inyati13":opkzve5t said:

Quote ..GaPrime, I've been in the woods all my life. And like you, I've only seen 2 cottonmouths in all that time. One here, and one down between Hazelhurst and Denton. 99% of folks think a plain ole water moccasin is a cottonmouth. They don't even look close to the same. A water moccasin stinks terrible too. Most people just want to kill em .

in southeast Texas a water moccasin and a cotton mouth is the same snake .. I've seen and killed hundreds. http://www.livescience.com/43597-facts- ... nakes.html

JSCATTLE":11ujw54q said:
JMJ Farms":11ujw54q said:
ga.prime":11ujw54q said:

Quote ..GaPrime, I've been in the woods all my life. And like you, I've only seen 2 cottonmouths in all that time. One here, and one down between Hazelhurst and Denton. 99% of folks think a plain ole water moccasin is a cottonmouth. They don't even look close to the same. A water moccasin stinks terrible too. Most people just want to kill em .

in southeast Texas a water moccasin and a cotton mouth is the same snake .. I've seen and killed hundreds. http://www.livescience.com/43597-facts- ... nakes.html

You're correct. Technically a "water moccasin" and a "cottonmouth mocassin" are the same. What 99% of the people here call a "water moccasin" isn't really a "moccasin". It's a harmless, non venomous "water snake". Very few people in our county have ever seen a cottonmouth, even though they think they have. They're just aren't that many here. People think any snake in the swamp is a cottonmouth.

JMJ Farms":140x64zp said:
JSCATTLE":140x64zp said:
JMJ Farms":140x64zp said:

You're correct. Technically a "water moccasin" and a "cottonmouth mocassin" are the same. What 99% of the people here call a "water moccasin" isn't really a "moccasin". It's a harmless, non venomous "water snake". Very few people in our county have ever seen a cottonmouth, even though they think they have. They're just aren't that many here. People think any snake in the swamp is a cottonmouth.
Aloe of people think the banded water snake is a moccasin.. down here in the swamp we have a bunch .. I killed 42 one may in a mud hole in the old salt grass hunting club .. my squirrel dog got bit 4 times before I got him out of there.

Latest posts