but too small to allow cows to pass. The kind of creep
feed varies widely from grain-based "energy creeps" to
limit-fed high protein creeps to "green creeps," which
are high quality pastures grown solely for grazing by
nursing calves. Simply increasing weaning weights may
not be profitable. Creep feeding, like any other supplementation
practice, must be analyzed based on estimates
of expected increases in performance and income
compared to the costs of these improvements.

i've never used a creep feeder...and i've never had a problem with low weaning weights...creep feeding is useless in my mind...but if it really is giving you better weaning weights then I guess its worth it...from everybody I know around here...they say that when they used creep feeders...they didn't have any difference in weaning weights at all

Heritage_Farmboy":2infyqrl said:
i've never used a creep feeder...and i've never had a problem with low weaning weights...creep feeding is useless in my mind...

I don't mean to sound facetious, but if you've never used a creep feeder, how would you know its useless? I plan on creep feeding my commercial feeder calves this year for a few reasons:

1) Average weaning weights in this region went up 125 pounds after creep feeding. Total cost of the oats, per animal, was about 35 bucks.

2) Our June-August grass is largely water, so its tough on the cows and calves. A little creep helps take some stress off the animal, both cow and calf.

3) Ease the stress of weaning. I don't feed my commercials a heavy oat diet, but its still going to help when I wean if they're used to seeing a couple lbs of oats everyday.

Rod

DiamondSCattleCo":1a2asy6g said:
I don't mean to sound facetious, but if you've never used a creep feeder, how would you know its useless? I plan on creep feeding my commercial feeder calves this year for a few reasons:

1) Average weaning weights in this region went up 125 pounds after creep feeding. Total cost of the oats, per animal, was about 35 bucks.

2) Our June-August grass is largely water, so its tough on the cows and calves. A little creep helps take some stress off the animal, both cow and calf.

3) Ease the stress of weaning. I don't feed my commercials a heavy oat diet, but its still going to help when I wean if they're used to seeing a couple lbs of oats everyday.

Rod

Very good points. Minimizing inputs does not mean maximizing profits. If a little creep makes you money it is an investment not an expense.

Dun also brought up, in another thread, what I think is an important point: During drought conditions he supplements his calves. While you certainly want the cow to raise that calf, we're the turkeys who have fenced those cattle in, and domesticated them. Therefore, we have to take some responsibility for their health and well being. If there isn't enough feed available due to conditions, I think its the responsibility of the owner to make it available.

I remember seeing some starving cattle on TV a few years back. The cattle owner was wringing his hands, fretting about no rain. The price of oats was 55 cents/bushel at the time, and the price of calves was high. So for about 15 bucks/calf he could have eased the stress and suffering of those animals.

Rod

For those of you that don't use creepfeed, and figure that it is worthless, I am curious if you use implants? Or if you use Ivomec (or another dewormer) on your calves to boost weaning weight. We have creepfed calves before, and it does boost weaning weights above what the cow would do by herself. We don't use implants, but we do deworm. Now, I am not saying that it is the right thing for everyone to do, but if creepfeeding will add 50-100 lbs to a calf that would have weighed 600 lbs on the cow, and if you can buy the feed for less than what you would get paid for that "extra" 50-100 lbs, why not go for it? Obviously, if you are getting WW of 550+ in 5-7 months then the cow is a good one!!!

People who say that creepfeed doesn't add weight should perhaps try it on only 1/2 of the calves, because in my experience it does work!!

DiamondSCattleCo...I dont know what facetious means but I said
from everybody I know around here...they say that when they used creep feeders...they didn't have any difference in weaning weights at all
...I believe my calves wean just fine so I dont see a point in spending thousands of dollars on a creep feeder...when I said it was useless...I was talking about around here...I dont know of anybody around here that uses a creep feeder...all of the people that have tried it...got rid of their creep feeder because it cost more than the profit they was making from it...maybe that is different in your area...maybe it is a big moneymaker where you are from but it doesn't seem to be a good investment around here...there's more than enough good grass for my cows and calves here...my calves weaning weights are good enough for me so I dont believe I need to creep feed them...but if it works for you and you're making money off of it...then I guess they do work for yall :)

Have a good day

A side note to creep feeding, if buying breeding stock how do you know if it's genetics or a feed sack.

dun

Heritage_Farmboy":343mc4dm said:

I just didn't want to come across as a smart-alek or offensive. As you say, there are some environments where creep feeding likely won't be as beneficial (low grass moisture, high feed costs, breed of cattle, etc etc), however in many areas it pencils well. And I also don't believe you can just go by what the neighbors say, thats why I said "if you've never tried it, how can you be certain it won't work?"

Dun,

Since I've run livestock for many moons, that which has been creep fed versus not, you get an idea of how much growth comes from the feedbag.

I'm not sure if I qualified it in this thread, but only my commercial animals will be creep fed. My breeding stock will not receive a free choice creep, but I will start hand feeding small amounts as I near weaning time, simply to ease the weaning shock. I feel that heavy fed breeding animals will collapse, or at least not do near as well once they are put to work. I also believe that heavy fed breeding stock will have shorter working lives.

Rod

Heritage_Farmboy":2zt8kyen said:
from everybody I know around here...they say that when they used creep feeders...they didn't have any difference in weaning weights at all
...I believe my calves wean just fine so I dont see a point in spending thousands of dollars on a creep feeder...when I said it was useless...I was talking about around here...I dont know of anybody around here that uses a creep feeder...all of the people that have tried it...got rid of their creep feeder because it cost more than the profit they was making from it...maybe that is different in your area...maybe it is a big moneymaker where you are from but it doesn't seem to be a good investment around here...there's more than enough good grass for my cows and calves here...my calves weaning weights are good enough for me so I dont believe I need to creep feed them...but if it works for you and you're making money off of it...then I guess they do work for yall :)

Have a good day

There be no need ta spend thousands of $$$ on a creepfeeder. With a couple cattle panels , some 1 1/2" pipe and a welder, one can be rigged up for less than a hundred bucks

DiamondSCattleCo":2y18se4d said:
Heritage_Farmboy":2y18se4d said:

I just didn't want to come across as a smart-alek or offensive.

oh...well I didn't think anything you said was offensive...just your opinion...you like creep feeders...I dont...its as simple as that :) ...thanks for clearing that up though

Have a good day :)

Latest posts