what is best

Help Support CattleToday:

tiger hunter

Reaction score
i know this question has been asked a lot.but here goes is it best to band a newborn calf or wait and cut him when he is 2 to 3 months old. also what if any problems can occur when you band one.

I band everything as soon as I can get my hands on them. The only ones I cut are the ones I miss. The vet tells me that in due time I will lose one that I have banded. I try to buy new bands every spring. I think that helps, an old one could be dry rotten and break after application. I background several calves each year. Sometimes i have to buy young bulls to get enough. I always pay less for the bulls. They require more labor, and run the risk of infection. I go ahead and deduct that from the price I am willing to pay

Gale Seddon":191qvzr1 said:
Is there any concern about tetanus when they're done at birth?
No, for some reason that'sonly a concrn with much older calves. We band them from day old up to about 3 months (all at a the same time if we have straglers or very early calves) and have never given a shot for tetanaus.

For those who know...
What proportion might you not be able to band at birth because the sac is empty?

I've only ever banded two calves. They were two weeks old. Soon as I got to the second one I realised what had been wrong with the first... he had to be cut later (sorry Dun, I'd already noted your comments on people who couldn't count to two and still put the band on).

The tetanus vaccine won't 'take' in a very young calf... also they have maternal antibodies from colostrum. Vet did explain it in detail to me a few months ago I think the latter might be the cause of the former.

Maybe 1 out of 100 will have to wait a day or 2 to find the 2nd one.
Never band just 1- cut the band off if you get just 1.

I wait until all my cows half calved and then cut all the bulls together. They are usually 2 months to a week old. I don't think it really matters if you band or cut at that age. Use the one you are most comfortable doing. The end result is the same if it is done right. Most vets will tell you to give a tetnus 2 weeks before banding and a second tetnus the day you band. I know folks around here banding without a tetnus and no problems. Some research I have read suggest leaving them bulls 60 days for higher daily gains but I can't see where it makes a huge differance.

We waited to long before we brought the calves into the yards to mark so they were a bit to big for the calf crush lol definitely will do it earlier...

I band them at 2 days old and if i can't find the other nut i will try again the next day.I have only had to cut one calf at branding time all the years i have had cattle.No tetanus shot either,but if you don't know how to band properly don't do it!!

Latest posts