what is a man supposed to do?

Help Support CattleToday:

circleKranch

Reaction score
I have had extensive damage done to my property by trespassers riding their 4-wheelers in my hayfields. I have tried to fence in most of the offened areas only to have my wire cut or removed. Local authorities dont seem to care and say they are hesitant to chase because of accident they had with a young teenage girl a couple of years ago.

Any advice from anyone who has had this issue or experience with law enforcement would be helpful.

Thanks

JC

i have always wanted to put a board with nails sticking up were they come in..

We have been succesfull by going and talking to the parents.... or talking to the kids when we catch them.

circleKranch":2a52p107 said:
I have had extensive damage done to my property by trespassers riding their 4-wheelers in my hayfields. I have tried to fence in most of the offened areas only to have my wire cut or removed. Local authorities dont seem to care and say they are hesitant to chase because of accident they had with a young teenage girl a couple of years ago.

Any advice from anyone who has had this issue or experience with law enforcement would be helpful.

Thanks

JC

Neighbor was having a problem and put up game cameras hidden of coarse.
Got the pictures went to the Sheriff's office and filed criminal tresspass, in Texas that carries a pretty heafty fine, plus the parents had to pay for the damages . He hasn't had any problems since.

Wewild":360yjdm0 said:
i have always wanted to put a board with nails sticking up were they come in...

In this messed up, entitlement based system that we have, the trespassers would then want you to pay to repair their tires...

There is a farmer in my area that got tired of trying to stop kids from cutting up his fields with 4-wheelers and four wheel drive trucks on saturday nights. He fenced off an area, dug a mud pit, got the leagle wavers for them to sign, and charges admission on weekends to use it. They get timmed on how fast they can go around the pit without missing any flags on pvc poles the drivers have to grab through the window, and without bogging down. If they bogg, he pulls them out with his tractor. Turned out to be a big thing. He no longer has the trouble of trying to stop them, Kids have fun, some dads to :D , and he's making a bundle of money!

skyline":8r12iqzu said:
Wewild":8r12iqzu said:
i have always wanted to put a board with nails sticking up were they come in...

In this messed up, entitlement based system that we have, the trespassers would then want you to pay to repair their tires...
We've had problems with poachers and kids on 4 Wheelers real bad, out at our other place the last couple of years. I made a Sheriff's report on one occaision after our gates were plowed down for the 2nd time and threatened to take a 16' 2x6 and shoot it full of nails with a framing gun. The Deputy went as far as to tell me I could be held liable, and as far as he was concerned, he did not hear me say what I said. Guess our rights as far as "Guarding" our own property from trespassers is gone too.

I empathize with you completely. Here, if they do more than $500 worth of damage it is considered a felony. Problem is you have to catch them in the act and as you know this is extremely hard to do. My trespassing problems seem to go in waves. A few years ago some bozo was taking his truck and pulling my gates down with a winch. I couldn't catch him to save my life. I had to replace the same gate six times in three months. I was livid. But always remember the world is round. One morning I eased down the road and found my gate torn to shreds but lo and behold there was a truck hung up on a stump. I tried to get the tag number but they had removed it or didn't have one. I thought about the last time the sheriff let some thieves go that had stolen a trailer from me so I figured it best to handle this internally. Anyhow, bozo had some of those high dollar tires on there and I figured a good slashing would settle the score but I couldn't get my knife to go through the tires. :oops: I then decided I'd cut the brake lines. Could do this either. :oops: With my tail between my legs I threw up the white flag and headed to my truck. Once I got behind the wheel I remembered my .270. I took it out and it accidently went off three times and the bullets went into the radiator and God only knows where else. In a wave of contentment, I drove off and had a hardy breakfast never to have to replace another gate on that property ever again. Knock on wood.

whatsupdoc3":6w7oc2ts said:
jfont":6w7oc2ts said:
There is a farmer in my area that got tired of trying to stop kids from cutting up his fields with 4-wheelers and four wheel drive trucks on saturday nights. He fenced off an area, dug a mud pit, got the leagle wavers for them to sign, and charges admission on weekends to use it. They get timmed on how fast they can go around the pit without missing any flags on pvc poles the drivers have to grab through the window, and without bogging down. If they bogg, he pulls them out with his tractor. Turned out to be a big thing. He no longer has the trouble of trying to stop them, Kids have fun, some dads to :D , and he's making a bundle of money!

Has more liability than one cares to think about also.
Never read the laibility waver he makes them sign, not sure how it holds up, but as far as I know, he hasn't had any trouble.

I like the idea of using the game cameras, but would only work if you have a place to hide them and a place to set them up at unnoticed.
Have the same trouble with hunters making a "road" on some grass land. Told by the game warden to make a spike strip and place it in different areas along this new route. :D
So if I could I would do the camera, but since there is no trees or even good brush cover looks like dead tires to me.

Wewild":1nhxcvyh said:
i have always wanted to put a board with nails sticking up were they come in..

Is it worth causing a tire to blow out and possibly killing a teenager just for some hay.... :x

I would raise @#$@ with the police dept to get them going or try to sit by the field and see who they are/ what kind of bikes and see if you can go straight to their parents.

Brute how do you know that it is not the parents too?
What right do they have to tear up someone elses property and cause harm to their livilhood?
It shows complete disrespect to cut, tear down or destroy someones fence. If they can't take the hint with the fence that they are in an area they should not be in, in the first place, anything that happens after that is their own fault. Besides they can blow a tire at any time on a rock, branch or other sharp object.

Folks,

That is alot of great info. These arent just kids, these are adults and teenagers. Honestly the biggest offenders are the adults. I have been told the main trails that are right through the middle of 121 acre hay field are for access to a bar on the next road.

I have contemplated the spikes through the 2x6 but realized the liability. In the areas in which I dont run my own equipment, someone has littered the area with buckets of nails and screws. If I could catch them off there bikes they wouldnt have them to ride anymore.

I actually know where some of these yoyos live, but what is a man to do, I dont need anymore damage to equipment or buildings.

Does anyone think that contacted state Ag board would do any good. The cameras seem like a real good idea, but I'm concerned about theft of them, how far away from trails can they be to get a good picture for taking to sheriff.

Thanks so much for all your help. I intend on getting some pics of all the damage up on the site soon.
JC

how can there be any liability in protecting your land do we not have rights anymore it would be worth it to put the spike in and then spread the word that you did and post signs

I luv herfrds":2ymic5hk said:
Brute how do you know that it is not the parents too?
What right do they have to tear up someone elses property and cause harm to their livilhood?
It shows complete disrespect to cut, tear down or destroy someones fence. If they can't take the hint with the fence that they are in an area they should not be in, in the first place, anything that happens after that is their own fault. Besides they can blow a tire at any time on a rock, branch or other sharp object.

I totally agree with you. IT is totally wrong of any one to do.
My morals say no ones life is worth a little hay. Especially a teenager. We all did stupid stuff and destroyed property at one time or another, no one tried to compromise our life. I try to live by the golden rule even if others don't.

I ride alot of atvs on public places and private parks. THere are alot of tree-hugging type that put wires across trails, nails, logs, ect... and purposely try to harm people who don't believe and act the way they do. IT works too.

They are no better than the terrorist that drove plains into the world trade centers.

Take action for sure, but I am sure there are ways to handle it with out putting their life in danger. FYI, you can be sued if they get hurt because you did some thing like that also. ;-)

onecowfarms1":10w7nepv said:
how can there be any liability in protecting your land do we not have rights anymore it would be worth it to put the spike in and then spread the word that you did and post signs

Its like the robber falling through your roof and suing you even though they were trying to rob you. You shouldn't have had a faulty roof. They will probably write them tickets for trespassing, you could maybe even sue them for damages. That won't be near what they hit you for if they can not longer work, die, ect.. Its sad, but true. :|

IF they are not stealing property or inside your house/ car you had better not hurt them. ;-)

You need to start shooting guns when they drive through, put up posted signs first and maybe a trespassers will be shot sign. I wouldn't go through again if after seeing those signs I heard any shots.

Latest posts