What is a "DOODLER?"

Help Support CattleToday:

BAR-W

Reaction score
Hi I am new to the board, not real new to the cattle business. I have raised or been around cattle most of my life, not an expert by any means, but I heard a term the other day on a SALE-BARN report of selling DOODLERS first? What is a DOODLER?
Thanks! :hide:

Little doggie type 200-300# calf that's odd colored or dairy influenced or horned
Okie 2-3 type light calf

This brought to mind the following:
The antlion larva is often called "doodlebug" in North America because of the odd winding, spiralling trails it leaves in the sand while looking for a good location to build its trap, as these trails look like someone has doodled in the sand.

In grade school, we fished for doodlebugs. You find their small holes where they set their trap for ants. Put a hay straw down the hole. The doodlebug thinks it is an ant and grabs the straw with its mandibles. If you jerk, you can pull the doodlebug to the surface. They are odd looking larvae with a white body and big jaws. Got to be quick to set the hook. :D ;-)

Thanks for the info! I was thinking DOGGIE and DOODLER had to be about same thing, but wasnt sure!

I used the term doggie on here once. Some were offended and likened it to sex acts etc. Some lady from California corrected me and told me the term was doagie. Growing up, we called an orphan a doggie. Pro-nounced it just like the old western songs, "get along little doggie." Maybe the term is so offensive they have now gone to doodler. I have never heard doodler myself.

Googled it and Decatur livestock commission listed them simply as "Calves under 250 lbs. ". Personally I've never heard the word used. Most places called them rainies. (probably also misspelled )

greybeard":2o8p2gpe said:
Around here, we call them calves under 250lbs.

That's why they call them doodlers, odd colored, dairy, horned or LH/corriente influenced to make a distinction

Same as an okie # 2-3 but flyweight

In Tex. their is a class of cows referred to as wet back cows, hear it used at the cattle actions. Used to hear cattle described as Okies haven't heard that term in years.

cross_7":1d9utggi said:
greybeard":1d9utggi said:

That's why they call them doodlers, odd colored, dairy, horned or LH/corriente influenced to make a distinction

I found nothing referencing color, horns, etc. Simply 250 or less.

TexasBred":38xw7abk said:
cross_7":38xw7abk said:
greybeard":38xw7abk said:

I found nothing referencing color, horns, etc. Simply 250 or less.

That must be right then

Thanks for all the WELCOMES!
I saw the term DOODLER used at the Gainesville Tx, livestock auction just didnt know what it meant!
Thanks again for all the info!

cowboy43":3ntuh9fi said:
In Tex. their is a class of cows referred to as wet back cows, hear it used at the cattle actions. Used to hear cattle described as Okies haven't heard that term in years.

I think they are really saying wet BAG cows, meaning a cow that has just had a calf weaned off her. A few years ago at one auction a hispanic customer complained to the owner that he was offended because the auctioneer was calling some "wet back cows". Owner politely told him it was wet BAG cows and explained what they were. Seemed to make the customer happy.

Texas PaPaw":1ipo7wi8 said:
cowboy43":1ipo7wi8 said:

I think they are really saying wet BAG cows, meaning a cow that has just had a calf weaned off her. A few years ago at one auction a hispanic customer complained to the owner that he was offended because the auctioneer was calling some "wet back cows". Owner politely told him it was wet BAG cows and explained what they were. Seemed to make the customer happy.

Maybe TB will google it and straighten it out for everyone

Texas PaPaw":2d7kfup8 said:
cowboy43":2d7kfup8 said:

:lol: :lol: bet that dude didn't have a green card either. :clap:

cross_7":bvzywu5i said:
Texas PaPaw":bvzywu5i said:
cowboy43":bvzywu5i said:

Maybe TB will google it and straighten it out for everyone
Your dam figures broke? Google it yourself. Beat pulling it out of your a$$. But then reading comprehension would come into play if you google it. :mrgreen:

Latest posts