What I'm seeing today

Help Support CattleToday:

sim.-ang.king":gie57r93 said:
Oh I see. So you just graze them as stockers for a feedlot and they pay you for the weight gained?
Well kinda, I graze them for a man that owns them then he will sell them and they will finely end up in a feedlot. We have been on a strictly graze system but this year we are going to feed too. If it doesn't work out cost wise I'll have to buy my own next year so I'll make all the gain.

Another load tonight
83937832-6D4E-4111-99A5-34168300BFC8-979-0000006713FD007E.jpg

My dads neighbour harvesting sugarbeets, its a good crop. somewhere around 80-85 tons / hectare. the amount of beets is slowing him down.
IMG_20121120_105510.jpg

IMG_20121120_105526.jpg

IMG_20121120_105534.jpg

IMG_20121120_105624.jpg

Greets, dutchcowboy

Ryder":2jxod6j4 said:
That looks to be a large machine. Is it used for just one farm or is it used to do custom harvesting for others?

This machine is used for just one farm, every year this farmer plant 26 hectares of sugerbeets. You have to have a quota for it.
He bought the machine 3 years ago, the machine was build in 1994 and was totally worn out.
He replaced almost every part.
Guys ho do custom harvesting go over more then 250 hectares a year to make a profit.
A new one costs 400.000 Euro !!!!
More and more farmers in this aera buy an old machine like this.

Greets dutchcowboy

Do they do anything with all that forglege on the ground, or just disc it under?
Looks like it would make a good silege like feed.

sim.-ang.king":327q9uz4 said:
Do they do anything with all that forglege on the ground, or just disc it under?

Earlier it was used as silage; when sugar (energy) levels were higher in the green parts (and back then sugar level was lower in the roots).
Nowadays, not so much. It has protein, and some sugar, and must be fed with mature hay.
Cows tend to get loose manure from it...

sim.-ang.king":2x40q280 said:

Yes , in the past. about 25 years ago it was very common.
But then they started to shredder the leaves.
Before they started this shreddin ,they cut the crown from the beet with the leaves still on.
The crowns and leafs were transported to a wagon.
Dumpt into a large pile about 4 m high, a layer of plastic and a little dirt and a month later it was only 1 m high.
It was fed to cows and pigs and they grow like weed, do not ever walk behind a cow you feed this :cowboy:

The smell of this silage was very intens , if you only had it in your sight , it takes a month to get rid of the smell.

Greets dutchcowboy.

dutchcowboy":3dewpeqf said:
sim.-ang.king":3dewpeqf said:

Yes , in the past. about 25 years ago it was very common.
But then they started to shredder the leaves.
Before they started this shreddin ,they cut the crown from the beet with the leaves still on.
The crowns and leafs were transported to a wagon.
Dumpt into a large pile about 4 m high, a layer of plastic and a little dirt and a month later it was only 1 m high.
It was fed to cows and pigs and they grow like weed, do not ever walk behind a cow you feed this :cowboy:

The smell of this silage was very intens , if you only had it in your sight , it takes a month to get rid of the smell.

Greets dutchcowboy.
I see.

cross_7":dgk4ae3r said:
how far are they coming in from ?
is that why they arrive so late ?
It's about 7 hours away in mid Alabama. usually they load at 8 or 9 at night and get here at daylight but this year to get the trucks and also to get calves in as fast as possable we are just taking them anytime. We have water in the pen and just leave them in it till daylight. If it was wet and raining we wouldnt be doing that.

jedstivers":1ei039ak said:
cross_7":1ei039ak said:
how far are they coming in from ?
is that why they arrive so late ?
It's about 7 hours away in mid Alabama. usually they load at 8 or 9 at night and get here at daylight but this year to get the trucks and also to get calves in as fast as possable we are just taking them anytime. We have water in the pen and just leave them in it till daylight. If it was wet and raining we wouldnt be doing that.

Them good ole Montgomery, Al calves. :cowboy:

Latest posts