What grass grows with no rain

Help Support CattleToday:

jj216

Reaction score
This drought is becoming one of the most frustrating things Ive ever dealt with.I accepted the fact it was a bad spring and summer.So surely fall and winter we'll get rain.So I planted my winter ryegrass last week when we had three days and a row with 60% chance of rain.Guess what ,not a friggin drop.I see no relief in sight.I would welcome a hurricane.So I guess I need to know what grass grows in bone dry clay with no water required.Sorry to complain but yall are my drought support group.

jj216":2k0hmgze said:
This drought is becoming one of the most frustrating things Ive ever dealt with.I accepted the fact it was a bad spring and summer.So surely fall and winter we'll get rain.So I planted my winter ryegrass last week when we had three days and a row with 60% chance of rain.Guess what ,not a friggin drop.I see no relief in sight.I would welcome a hurricane.So I guess I need to know what grass grows in bone dry clay with no water required.Sorry to complain but yall are my drought support group.

Same thing happened here. I think I've coughed up the last bit of dust I'd inhaled yesterday.. A week after planting. No rain until 1 week from tomorrow, the weather channel says. I sure hope their wrong!!

Neighbor asked how much lime I put on the pasture I told him 2 tons/acre. He told me I'd better do it again because a ton and a half was on the siding of his house...... he really knows how to hurt a guy....

I still have my seed stacked in the barn. Have been wearing a dust mask trying to scratch up a last cutting of hay and getting a roll to 2 acres. Dry dry dry.
I hope to get some winter grazing planted nut not till it rains.

Howdy,
German Foxtail Millet grows mighty well with little water too.
It's also known as emergency forage because of the growth rate etc...

We got a fair amount in the ground that ain't coming up. We have had a total of 1/2" since.

I guess we tried our best with what we thought was right.

Atlanta is crying now as Lanier is getting low.

Maybe it will rain.

I was very impressed with rape this last year. Did well during the winter and even did well into the dry spring when the grass was crispy it was still lush. Planted several acres of it last week and its already up. Ryegrass is still sitting there.

Neighbor tried to run a 12 ft. offset disk over some sudex so he could get some wheat in the ground. Won't go in the ground yet. He got some round stock 3" steel and is going to put it in the cross tubes and see if it'll cut then.

We finished spreading wood ash last week. Had folks driving by thinking we had a fire out in the field. I expect some of the ash may be in the Atlantic by now.

I'm old enough to remember a good many droughts. None lasting this long but have had dry years in the past. This is the first drought that I don't see cracks in the ground. Last year we had cracks 1" across in all the fields. This year no cracks. Haven't figured that out yet. Why? What's different? It doesn't matter, but I'd like to know why? :?:

Going to check the air filter more often now on the feeding tractor. The dust is adding up on the outer filter fast. I guess that's what harsh conditions means.

Wewild,I can think of two words for Atlanta and Lake Lanier.Sorry they cant run their boats and jet skis where they want.They are the reason everyone below them on the Chattahoochie is on an outdoor watering ban.Mabye if they cancel freaknick and all the gay festivals they could save water.If we could move Atlanta to California we would be better off.No offense to California.See now the drought is making me bitter.I apoligize to the two normal georgians left in ATL.its all the droughts fault. :D

Ground hasn't cracked here either, my only explanation might be that the ground has sunk. I mean most years the ground cracks on top because the dirt below still has some water and dimension, the water is gone, so I think it fell down a bit. I have noticed my ditches and furrows are a lot deeper than they used to be.

Sizmic

jj216":12txw43y said:
Wewild,I can think of two words for Atlanta and Lake Lanier.Sorry they cant run their boats and jet skis where they want.They are the reason everyone below them on the Chattahoochie is on an outdoor watering ban.Mabye if they cancel freaknick and all the gay festivals they could save water.If we could move Atlanta to California we would be better off.No offense to California.See now the drought is making me bitter.I apoligize to the two normal georgians left in ATL.its all the droughts fault. :D

I couldn't agree with you more. They lose right now about 14% of their pumped water to leaks.

sizmic":3gxs8khc said:
Ground hasn't cracked here either, my only explanation might be that the ground has sunk. I mean most years the ground cracks on top because the dirt below still has some water and dimension, the water is gone, so I think it fell down a bit. I have noticed my ditches and furrows are a lot deeper than they used to be.

Sizmic

Hadn't thought of that. Might be the reason the back door to my house doesn't close like it did back in the spring. Been seeing 10"-20" little sink holes in some hay fields. Not deep, some about a ft. deep. Lots of trees are dead now. I bet there will be 5 times that many next year.

Latest posts