what exactly is the cooperative extension?

Help Support CattleToday:

geish

Reaction score
I'm scanning the Texas Cooperative Extension website and am amazed at the wealth of information (mostly free information) on a variety of subjects. It's the first time I've ever heard of such a thing? Does every state have a Cooperative Extension? WOW. I'm impressed with my government actually putting out info like this. How did Extensions come to be? I'm sure their number one function is to educate. I wish I had known about this a lot longer. I didn't know such a thing existed.

The Texas Coop Extension is part of the Texas A&M system. What does that mean. Does A&M run it?

I'm just curious and amazed. I'm all about free info for the improvement of our society. THIS EXTENSION THING IS REALLY GREAT! WOW

I believe about every state has cooperative extension. After congress created the land grant universities, they created research farms and later cooperative extension as a way to provide federal funds for farm related research and public education for rural people. You're right. It is a great thing. Even though it is not what it used to be in a lot of places, IMO it is still one of the best government programs that we've had as far as money well spent.

Yes it is, you have a county extention agent, that works closely with A & M on new things that come out. Anything from plants to animals. Extention agents are closely involved in the 4-H clubs in their county too. They have forms that you can download and print, tutorials on many different subjects. If you have a specific question you need answered, feel free to phone your county extention agent, that's what he's there for, to answer your questions and help you in any way he can.

They are part of the Texas A&M University System for the money. As part of the System, they can pull together resources for cost savings.

Most A&M Agriculture professors work dual appointments with A&M and TCE or Texas Agriculture Experiment Station (primarily a reseach agency). TCE basically disseminates research results from A&M and TAES to the public and assists with implementing those results. Although it sounds simple, the lines of divisions are very fuzzy. They are charged with promoting agriculture in the state and they are the most visible of all agriculture agencies.

Most urban extension agents are specialized in urban issues, home economics, budgeting, nutrition, etc. Most rural agents are specialized in rural issues like nutrition, home economics, budgeting and agriculture. As you can see, extension agents are a very valuable part of everyone's lives.

Latest posts