what do you think

Help Support CattleToday:

tapeworm":2ye91x0s said:
Folks theres not alwasy a nice way to say what needs to be said...why do you guys always leave it up to me??? LOL
That bull should have been cut when he was a yearling or before...you mighta cheated somebody out of a good profitable steer back then...now your cheating yourself by letting him breed cows
okay i will bite,why should he have been cut how can you tell out
of one picture

Beefy":1og2pwpo said:
i had a heifer try to mount my vehicle the other day when i was checking on them. :oops:
have you tried to put a bull in there? LOL

dane12":1nmopb8a said:
tapeworm":1nmopb8a said:
Folks theres not alwasy a nice way to say what needs to be said...why do you guys always leave it up to me??? LOL
That bull should have been cut when he was a yearling or before...you mighta cheated somebody out of a good profitable steer back then...now your cheating yourself by letting him breed cows
of one picture
Okay..I will bite. How can you have been looking at him for over 2 years and NOT tell??? Just becasue something CAN settle a cow doesnt mean that it NEEDS to settle a cow. Why dont you tell us what it is about the bull that appeals to you...besides you already had him. LOL A lot of you guys make that mistake...just because youve already got something that will make a cow freshen you think its a good deal

If your serious about the cow business at least have some known genetics on 1 side...a bull is over half of your herd if you save heifers. But then by looking at all of that spotted longhorn stuff in your other picture Im not sure if you are really serious about being in the cow business. You say you want a hereford cross herd..get you a good hereford bull and get to work on it!!! I know you can find a good hereford bull in Texas cant you???

I gotta agree with Jake on the bulls wt. Don't think he will weigh over 1300 lb.
At the same time I have to agree with Tapeworm. Why would anyone keep a grade bull that shoulda been cut as a calf, to breed their cows to. To my way of thinking he doesn't show anything to improve the calves from a common herd of grade cows.

Beefy":57jbwzsn said:
i had a heifer try to mount my vehicle the other day when i was checking on them. :oops:

Will you be having a cowford or a dodgecow? :lol:

dane12":7rrjlcfx said:
thanks i am trying to go the hereford/cross route.kind of got this bull by mistake one one my very young heifers got into my neightbors and
ups 9month later he came along

Dane ya gotta get the horns off those cattle...

tapeworm":3lw6eou3 said:
dane12":3lw6eou3 said:
tapeworm":3lw6eou3 said:
of one picture
Okay..I will bite. How can you have been looking at him for over 2 years and NOT tell??? Just becasue something CAN settle a cow doesnt mean that it NEEDS to settle a cow. Why dont you tell us what it is about the bull that appeals to you...besides you already had him. LOL A lot of you guys make that mistake...just because youve already got something that will make a cow freshen you think its a good deal

If your serious about the cow business at least have some known genetics on 1 side...a bull is over half of your herd if you save heifers. But then by looking at all of that spotted longhorn stuff in your other picture Im not sure if you are really serious about being in the cow business. You say you want a hereford cross herd..get you a good hereford bull and get to work on it!!! I know you can find a good hereford bull in Texas cant you???
It sounds a little harsh - but I have to agree with Tapeworm! A GOOD bull is half your herd. A POOR (rotton - lousy - bad - cull - whatever) bull is your ENTIRE HERD for several years! Get yourself a VERY GOOD Registered Whatever Bull, sell your lower quality stuff, and start making some money and have some REAL fun with your cattle! Believe me - playing games with genes is not funny and it can be darned expensive - a lot more expensive than a good bull. I know that we have sort of 'skinned' your hide - but take it to heart - - and real quickly. You won't regret it......And fix your fences!

Doc, it seems to me that you, tapeworm and a few others may have skinned his hide a little but none of you bothered to explicitly and specifically tell him what you thought was wrong with his bull (based on the one picture he submitted) unless perhaps that was done via a PM. At least Jake hit one nail on the head (well, at least in my view he did). Dane12 posted that he "would bite" and was clearly asking for some specifics --- what may seem obvious to you, tapeworm and others was perhaps not so obvious to dane12. Why don't you fire away, in the spirit of constructive criticism? Maybe others besides dane12 can learn somethhing too.

Arnold Ziffle":304yyzl3 said:
Doc, it seems to me that you, tapeworm and a few others may have skinned his hide a little but none of you bothered to explicitly and specifically tell him what you thought was wrong with his bull (based on the one picture he submitted) unless perhaps that was done via a PM. At least Jake hit one nail on the head (well, at least in my view he did). Dane12 posted that he "would bite" and was clearly asking for some specifics --- what may seem obvious to you, tapeworm and others was perhaps not so obvious to dane12. Why don't you fire away, in the spirit of constructive criticism? Maybe others besides dane12 can learn somethhing too.
AZ - I agree with your censure of my previous post regarding the picture of Dane 12's bull. I spent two hours this morning attempting to be concise, accurate and specific in judging the 'picture of the bull'. I did a wonderful job! It was a great set of reasons! I said exactly what I wanted to say! I was proud of myself! :D :D Then, in reading what I had written - - - - I did not submit my wonderful work, and L O S T the whole, stupid thing!! :mad: :mad: Notice I blamed the "work" of being "STUPID" - not the 'worker" :shock: Therefore, I shall calm down, regroup, go out and walk down and get the mail, and attempt to remember what spectacular words I used to reply to your correct assessment of my mental aberrations! :oops: :oops:

DOC HARRIS":8yzw0l1a said:
Arnold Ziffle":8yzw0l1a said:
AZ - I agree with your censure of my previous post regarding the picture of Dane 12's bull. I spent two hours this morning attempting to be concise, accurate and specific in judging the 'picture of the bull'. I did a wonderful job! It was a great set of reasons! I said exactly what I wanted to say! I was proud of myself! :D :D Then, in reading what I had written - - - - I did not submit my wonderful work, and L O S T the whole, stupid thing!! :mad: :mad: Notice I blamed the "work" of being "STUPID" - not the 'worker" :shock: Therefore, I shall calm down, regroup, go out and walk down and get the mail, and attempt to remember what spectacular words I used to reply to your correct assessment of my mental aberrations! :oops: :oops:
I have said many times, when you pass the age of 39 - -"it" all flies out the window!" Well, Folks, I am older than 39, and "it" has flown the coop, window and all, many times. But I shall attempt to give some kind of a reasonable critique of the white, horned bull in question here. Please bear with me for a few minutes. :help:

We are considerating a male, bovine to be used as a Breeding Bull for a small herd "(8 cows+3 heifers+3 calves+1bullcalv from last year + 1 bull)", and will be judging him on his own merits.

The first impression which comes to mind in observing this bull is that he is standing in knee-deep grass, which makes it difficult to ascertain his true relative body proportions, however in 'looking through the grass" it seems that he is rather 'leggy, therefore his general appearance seems rather short coupled. In transmitting these characteristics to his female offspring, any replacement heifers which would be kept for brood cows would lack capacity and possible difficult calving could be expected. He also appears to be lacking somewhat in bone density.

This bull exhibits a strong, level back or top line carrying through to his rump - a positive factor! Also a broad loin and rib eye. His heart girth is just average for a Bull. He seems a little narrow across his chest, however that is in accord with light bone structure. He definitely lacks thickness, fullness and DEPTH in his rear quarters (for the CHARLAIS Breed ).

What this bull may or will be in the future is subjective. What he "looks like" now (phenotype) is objective, and this picture is all we have by which to judge him. I agree with Tapeworm - he would have made a fine terminal steer. Just a few of my thoughts and opinions.

I feel that any small breeder (or large- herd breeder for that matter) would be well-advised to use the VERY BEST Bull genetics he can FIND and AI your cows and, generation after generation, breed UP - keeping the best replacement heifers, and very soon you have a POPPIN' herd of cows and $Profit in the bank. Using the best Registered Bulls of whatever breed you select and incorporting Artificial Insemination is no more expensive than keeping and feeding live bulls of less than adequate quality and prepotency. Using Purebred Bulls consistently will improve your cross-breeding program exponentially! :D :D

Everybody has trashed your bull so I thought I would chime in. I hate evaluating cattle from a lone picture and have no earthly idea how anybody guesses weights from a photo unless the animal is standing next to a man or pickup truck for scale so I am not even going to guess about his size (1050 to 1400 lbs??then so I would class him as "moderate" framed). To my eye he is deep ribbed and has volume, has average muscling, big testicles, and a small head. The biggest flaw I see in him is his lack of length. Everybody admits that he would have been a very nice market steer six months ago. I much prefer breed bulls. I like to have some predictability which I get from a pedigree, EPDs, breed characteristics, and a little herd history. $1300 and hard bargaining will buy a decent yearling bull all over the place. $2800 should buy a herd bull you can really be proud of almost anywhere. and some small hobby breeders will go less than that their breakeven costs just to have the thrill of selling a bull. All that said, I don't HATE your bull. He looks solid, rugged, he is obviously well fed, and he is a lot better than SOME registered bulls I have seen people bring to sales in the past. If you like him, use him. I don't think he will be a trainwreck on those mixed breed cows at all. You have already bred the cows with him so I would wait to judge him until they are on the ground.

Sure is a good looking hereford cow, sure looks like she will raise a heck of a yellow calf out of that bull. Is that a white parks cow standing behind her, I see white with some black flecks. To me, it is easier to guess when a cow might calve when I see a rear view

first i want to thank eveybody for there input the good ones as well as the bad ones I have learned a lot.
i am posting the 2 first calves i got out him they are as night and
day but the most importent thing to me anyway is that they are very healthy and everything went fine.
NEWBORN7-10-05.jpg
[
this one is about 2-3 hours old on this picture
100_1583.jpg

this one about a month old on this picture

stocky":23xzw0u9 said:
Sure is a good looking hereford cow, sure looks like she will raise a heck of a yellow calf out of that bull. Is that a white parks cow standing behind her, I see white with some black flecks. To me, it is easier to guess when a cow might calve when I see a rear view

she is a british white/unknow bought her mom breed here is a better picture of her she about 7month breed right now breed to the same bull
Heidi.jpg

Reading on this board has shown me how wide the world is. I have done things with some success my way on Sugar Creek but it is a wide world with many more knowlegable people than myself.

As to your cattle, the bull is a little short (not long enough) and has horns. Other than that he seems ok if you like him. The one I like is the black spotted heifer. She looks feminine to me and a potential good mama. I have red polls and red poll crosses which I like very well but they get short thrift here for their relative lack of muscling.

Like you, what thrills me most is a live and healthy calf, they make more money than super genetics that never make it to the sale barn. Good Luck !

Well, looking at the calves we now know that he is a "calving ease" bull. With the Charolais influence I would have expected the exact opposite. The calves look good at this stage of the game. To me, if you want Hereford cross cows you now go get a Registerd Hereford bull to breed these now open cows too and send the Smoky looking bull to the stockyard now that he is heavy and prices are up. I bet he weighs AT LEAST 1500 pounds by now which at 66 cents/lb would be ~$990 towards the purchase of the next bull. http://www.ams.usda.gov/mnreports/AM_LS155.txt
You raised him and it looks like he is working so if you want to let him ride, go for it.

dane12":14o11xc7 said:
Miracle07052004.jpg

posting a pix of my jr bull.I am waiting for my first calves from him anyday now.all my cows are crossbreeds anyhow how do you think he look he was 18month on this picture he is now 28 month
i have a small herd (8cows+3heifers+3calves+1 bullcalv from last year + 1 bull)

Well first off you have a heinz 57 no tellin what that pile of hamburger will throw, in the picture the bull appears short coupled, horned what, big gutted. I am not sure that he is even thick as he is at an angle in the picture. Now I probablly going to hurt your feelings here if you are serious about cattle haul him to the salebarn, take the money from the sale and put towards a real bull of your breed that you like. If not go ahead and name him and be happy with your pet.