What Do You Think Of This

Help Support CattleToday:

greenwillowherefords

Reaction score
My brother subscribes to Farm Talk magazine, and said some breeder from Kansas named Steve Fury is advertising 1/4 Jersey, 1/4 Hereford, 1/2 Angus heifers as replacement heifers. They were developed using registered stock of the parent breeds. I believe this is a Hereford breeder.

I know my Grandpa used to have a few half and quarter Jerseys in his herd that were sired by his Hereford bulls and out of his Jersey milk cow. They would even milk the quarter Jersey with good results. They made good momma cows, although one was a bit too protective when she had a young calf, once giving a boost to my backside as I sprinted toward the gate! :help: I was about eight or ten at the time.

MikeC":fi2xiptv said:
Think their goal is to sell recips?

They are promoting them as replacement females. Probably would be moderate framed, easy keeping, good milking mommas. The Jersey actually probably wouldn't hurt the eating experience of the meat produced by their offspring.

I can see a scenario of putting a reasonable BW terminal type bull of any breed with them with decent results.

These type cattle have been the basis of my operation for many years. 1/4 Jerseys with the other 3/4 being angus, shorthorn, hereford, or even Charolais have been some of the most profitable cows I have owned.

Keep in mind I have always sold my calves at weaning in Sept. or Oct. and tried to breed to a terminal type bull.

Latest posts