what do you pay for cows

Help Support CattleToday:

bigbull338

Reaction score
sitting here reading the threads on culling cows and keeping heifers got me to thinking.how much do yall pay for cows reg and comm when you buy them.me ive decided to pay what i have to for cattle if i have the money.right now thats paying $3000 to $5000 for cows or more.but i also sell my top reg heifers as theres a market for them.only keeping heifers with bloodines i dont have and i want in my herd.

I bought a 6 year old Reg blk Angus cow with twins last summer to put an embryo in for $2300. This is the only buying that I have done with the market being high.

thats like me i gave $2400 for a heavy bred reg heifer in may.them in dec i bought a reg bred cow 3.5 bred for $3400.all the others i bid on dec where pairs.i was bidding my max $4000 on all of my picks.

I like to think I never pay more than they're worth but pretty sure I've done that too. Like to think I get a bargain occasionally as well. I don't put a maximum amount on what I'll pay for a cow. Do that and eventually all you'll be buying is the lower quality animals the real breeders didn't want anything to do with.

I realize it comes with a cost, but with the prices folks are putting on them I'm glad I just raise my own. My situation is different from a lot of members here as my little herd is just commercial. If I paid what some are bringing now I'd want to keep them in the house.

Since January of 2014 I bought 13 head. Mostly Longhorns (1 beef)...5 were young just weaned heifers, 4 breeding age heifers, 1 Longhorn pair, and three (the 1 beef) bred/exposed. I averaged $700 a cow. The highest I paid was $1150 for a 3 year old X 5 month bred Longhorn heifer that is going to calf in about 2-4 weeks. The oldest cow I bought was a 4 year old Longhorn and I also bought her 1 year old heifer along with her. That comes with buying really young cows, young Longhorns at that like I did.

Saw a hereford heifer sell in Denver for $250,000 last week and only got 3rd in her class... Puts a new perspective on "too much" lol... The guy I bought my 2 bred heifers from 3 years ago (in March for $2500 each) told me they'd be worth at least $3,500/hd but to mark them at $5,000 if I were to try and sell them then let people talk me down to make them feel like they won. Nice registered cows, both have put very respectable calves on the ground. Haven't bought anything yet but I have $1,000 in "Shorthorn Bucks" from the ASA that I can spend at specific herds around the country so I'll probably pay up to $3,000 out of pocket (so $4,000 of value) for a nice bred cow.

Toad":a5k4cljr said:
I've been paying around $1,000 for the older bred cows I've been buying.

That's a good price for you. I have three I posted on the cull cow thread that are going. I was hoping they'd bring more than that for slaughter. I may be disappointed.

Latest posts