what do you pay for cows

Help Support CattleToday:

We sold a cull back in August that didnt have any teeth but was a really heavy cow and she brought $1100 so you could do better then you think. She was heavy bred though

bulldurham":1x3m5px8 said:
Good registered shorthorn bred heifers 3-5k. Good Registered bred cows 4-7k.

I would never spend that much on a cow I don't care how good she is suppose to be. It would take way to long to begin to profit on that cow and to much time for something bad to possibly happen to the cow.

big cheese its all in how you look at it.in my part of texas your lucky if you can find a weaned to yearling reg beefmaster heifer for less than $3500.bred heifers cows or pairs will set you back $3000 to $6000.i bought 2 reg cows this year the 1st payed for herself with a heifer.the 2nd will pay for herself when she calves in may.i am wanting a bull calf out of the new cow.but either way she will pay for herself.

Big Cheese":238jiaji said:
bulldurham":238jiaji said:

I would never spend that much on a cow I don't care how good she is suppose to be. It would take way to long to begin to profit on that cow and to much time for something bad to possibly happen to the cow.
Surely you don't think I'm selling their calves at the salebarn.

bigbull338":3r2tmub7 said:
big cheese its all in how you look at it.in my part of texas your lucky if you can find a weaned to yearling reg beefmaster heifer for less than $3500.bred heifers cows or pairs will set you back $3000 to $6000.i bought 2 reg cows this year the 1st payed for herself with a heifer.the 2nd will pay for herself when she calves in may.i am wanting a bull calf out of the new cow.but either way she will pay for herself.
I'm glad I'm not buying beefmasters in Texas then. I'll stick to my old ugly trader cows.
Just curious what do you sell calves for out of them? How many are show or seed stock and how many have to go into a commercial herd? Percentage wise.

shortybreeder":2li5sin6 said:
Saw a hereford heifer sell in Denver for $250,000 last week and only got 3rd in her class... Puts a new perspective on "too much" lol...

Yeah ... that is above my range for "too much"! HA!

bulldurham":2li5sin6 said:

Similar prices for really good fullblood Aubrac females.

bigbull338":2li5sin6 said:

+1

If you're selling seed-stock, you need to search out the best genetics because your buyers require it of you.

However, if you're selling meat on the hoof to the feedlot or the processor, you want anything that'll give you a reasonable calf at weaning time that can be bought for as little as possible. Two very different objectives -- both business models work as long as you aren't deluding yourself that you're in one when you're really in the other.

I just couldn't make myself pay that for a cow. There's just to many things that could happen before she pays herself off. I would rather go the route with the expensive registered bull to my commercial cows then retain heifers. I understand some of y'all are in the full blood business and that's what y'all do so I'm not bashing y'all in anyway by saying this! It's just my opinion on the matter

Big Cheese":3t03py7c said:
I just couldn't make myself pay that for a cow. There's just to many things that could happen before she pays herself off. I would rather go the route with the expensive registered bull to my commercial cows then retain heifers. I understand some of y'all are in the full blood business and that's what y'all do so I'm not bashing y'all in anyway by saying this! It's just my opinion on the matter

My post here was like comparing apples to oranges. The seed stock guys do spend big money for cattle. There's no way to compare my setup to say, someone like BB's. Those folks are where a guy such as myself would go for a good registered Bull. My team here is in a totally different league.

jed last year i sold 3 calves to 1 ffa member that is showing 1 in fort worth houston and san antone.he is letting a friend of his show the 2nd heifer.i sold all 3 heifers for $1500 ea.that is the price that ill sell to FFA and 4H kids.any1 else wanting my heifers the price is $2500 to $3000.this year i kept 2 heifers for my herd.1 is a home bred heifer the other is new bloodlines i want.i have the same young man wanting another heifer at weaning this fall.am i pushing to sell cattle no but ill sale the heifers and buy cows.because i can grow my herd quicker.footnote all of the breeders i know sell show calves for $2500 to $5000.im in with 2 ag teachers right now.

I bought a fairly nice solid red beefmaster cow at the sale barn today. They had her marked as 5 YO x 5 month bred. Paid $1725.
For all I know though, she may be bred to a miniature Zebu. They also had one of those at the sale today, it brought $300

Egads I wonder if they had consecutive numbers on the sale tags

yes jed weaning age heifers.the last reg sale i went to yearling heifers was bringing $4000 to $7000.a friend of mine bought 2 open heifers for $4600ea.

I have been buying both heifers to breed this spring and bred cows. They have been costing about the same. I am into the cows a $1,366 average. The heifers weighing between 700 and 800 pounds average costing me $1,372.

Dave":2hmswzgg said:
I have been buying both heifers to breed this spring and bred cows. They have been costing about the same. I am into the cows a $1,366 average. The heifers weighing between 700 and 800 pounds average costing me $1,372.

That's a pretty good average price for bred cows and ready to breed heifers. What kind have you been buying? What color?

i priced 2 angus x beefmasters 1 pair and 1 bred coming with 2nd calf to my nephew yesterday for $2500ea take it or leave it.he was trying to cut me off at the knees with a $2000 hd offer.i told him if i took that it would be at the sale barn.

bigbull338":1vhhldi2 said:
i priced 2 angus x beefmasters 1 pair and 1 bred coming with 2nd calf to my nephew yesterday for $2500ea take it or leave it.he was trying to cut me off at the knees with a $2000 hd offer.i told him if i took that it would be at the sale barn.
If you'll take $2000 at the sale barn seems you're trying to put the britches on "bro".

TB its the other way around.he is trying to put it on me.1 looks like she would weigh 1300lbs maybe better.so at $1.25lb $1625 for the cow minus her calf.plus they are both nice and fat.i cut him a $750hd break.as top cows and pairs are bringing over $3000 still.

Latest posts