what do you pay for cows

Help Support CattleToday:

Big Cheese":37x7c9s7 said:
Dave":37x7c9s7 said:
I have been buying both heifers to breed this spring and bred cows. They have been costing about the same. I am into the cows a $1,366 average. The heifers weighing between 700 and 800 pounds average costing me $1,372.

That's a pretty good average price for bred cows and ready to breed heifers. What kind have you been buying? What color?

The heifers are black and black whiteface with one red angus. The cows are sale barn run, about one of everything. Good legs, decent udders, bred to calf in May and June.

Dave":2res2321 said:
Big Cheese":2res2321 said:
Dave":2res2321 said:
I have been buying both heifers to breed this spring and bred cows. They have been costing about the same. I am into the cows a $1,366 average. The heifers weighing between 700 and 800 pounds average costing me $1,372.

That's a pretty good average price for bred cows and ready to breed heifers. What kind have you been buying? What color?

The heifers are black and black whiteface with one red angus. The cows are sale barn run, about one of everything. Good legs, decent udders, bred to calf in May and June.

That's really good. You did a good job getting those for that price. They should turn out really good for you. Stuff like that is selling here for over $1500 and some even over $1800-$2000. BWF heifers are expensive around these parts. What are you breeding the heifers too...Black Angus?

I have a fella here with 4 hereford breds on their second calf. WAnts $1600 per. Nice animals.

Big Cheese":3d9qp5kn said:
[
That's really good. You did a good job getting those for that price. They should turn out really good for you. Stuff like that is selling here for over $1500 and some even over $1800-$2000. BWF heifers are expensive around these parts. What are you breeding the heifers too...Black Angus?

I was running them up to $1,600-1,700 and getting out. It just wasn't penciling out for me at that price. I don't seem able to get the big bunches so I have just been picking off singles. I am way off on the numbers I need but I am not raising them for the fun of it so there is a limit to how much I will spend. That is why I went to buying bred cows. I will sync the heifers and AI to a calving ease Angus bull. Them I clean up with a Angus bull ( the one who beat me up last Saturday :mad: . I hope the AI works 100% so he doesn't get to breed any of them.).

I would be getting rid of bull that came at me! Had one of those before but he would go at everyone else but me lol cuz I was the one that fed him

Big Cheese":1zz3el8n said:
I would be getting rid of bull that came at me! Had one of those before but he would go at everyone else but me lol cuz I was the one that fed him
I have a cow like that... My dad calls her "Crazy" :lol: She will attack anyone who tries to move her into the corral or into our lean-to for shots/breeding/etc. But I am able to walk up to her, halter her, and lead her anywhere :D

Big Cheese":b2a1kwym said:

It was as much my fault for the way I was handling him as it was him. That said I will be watching him pretty darn closely. And he rotates out after breeding season so come July he was scheduled for ride to town.

I bought some red AI bred commercial hfrs right before the first of the year and gave $2700/hd. They were bred for beginning of April. Bought some bull bred red hfrs that will calf may and gave $2500 for them. Personally I probably wouldn't have paid that if I had to borrow the money but after all of my hfrs coming up open I had cash to replace females with. And I needed tax deductions.

strihafarms":sm1x4v0z said:
I bought some red AI bred commercial hfrs right before the first of the year and gave $2700/hd. They were bred for beginning of April. Bought some bull bred red hfrs that will calf may and gave $2500 for them. Personally I probably wouldn't have paid that if I had to borrow the money but after all of my hfrs coming up open I had cash to replace females with. And I needed tax deductions.
You're staying you open heifers sold for enough to replace them with heavy bred heifers??

No. My open, coming 2yr olds brought $1800 average so I was able to sell three and buy two breds back. Less numbers than I might have been able to replace with older cows but I have been burned buying older cows in the past so I went this route.

Latest posts