What disease ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Popa Cosmin

Reaction score
Hi!
I should like to ask you to help me if it is possible.
I have 4 Charolais cows with some hypodermic bulges. There are situated near navel but the navel is not infected. After 20-30 days these bulges (like a tennis ball or bigger) breaks with some discharges (pus). In general after that, all is normal, but I have 2 of them with persistent bulges.
I have also another cow with 2 bulges on her neck.
There aren't others visible signs of the disease.

Can you tell me what is about? Infections? Parasites?

Ours vets aren't/t very prepared or skill…

Thank you!

I hope someone with more knowledge will respond to this...'cause I'm curious about it.

It's a no brainer that puss being secreted from the lumps indicates an infection of some sort. Like Popa, I'm curious if there some known sort of infection/disease/whatever that travels thru the cow's body and causes these lumps...or could these lumps be caused by some weird insect sting or maybe a thorn indigenous to Romania that can cause something like this.

When I see lumps like that I think of grubs, but grubs pop out, not pus.

Sorry, Popa...wish I could help, but this one is way beyond my level of expertise...that being baby calves.

Alice

I have no idea. My thinking would be some type of biting insect but, that is a wild guess. Sorry, not much help.

Larry

Not knowing anything of the parasites and diseases in Romania will restrict most of us from being of any real value, ticks often cause abscesses, or possibly an awn grass or thorn bush setting up localised infections. There are a number of diagnostic and disease identification sites on the internet which may be of value; http://www.thebeefsite.com/diseaseinfo/ this one is a little basic, other forum members may know of sites with a wider range of diseases.

Sounds almost like grubs or warbles, but they are in the back. Otherwise kind of fits the profile.

Warbles are the larvae of a bot fly that lays eggs on the animals fur, nose or legs. The larvae travel around and end up as pupae in the skin of the back (in the case of cattle grubs) where they make a hole in the hide to breath through. eventually the hole enlarges and the pupae drops out onto the ground to finish it's life cycle. If you damage the grub when it is in the back you can cause a bad reaction, even shock. I have seen people squeeze them out - ugh

Here is some info http://www.uvm.edu/extension/publications/el/el100.htm

Latest posts