What color?

Help Support CattleToday:

Three more today. Ten calves, in 12 days, all black baldy's. The Hereford was a 20 month old "rookie" when we put him in with the cows last Jan. He must have been paying close attetion to the birds and bees while he was growing up, cause with 10 calves in the first 12 days, he didn't have time for any on the job training.

Good kind to have around.

Here you go Jake. I can't get a good pic of ol' Fred, but these are the best ones I have. I can't get him to stand with his head up, and his feet set right too. So, I will post two shots of him. I got my sis in law to hold her Diet Coke up in the air to get the one shot, she was down by the fence in both shots, and I think the bull was happy to see her. :lol: He's got a little pot gut now since he hasn't been running with the cows.

Picture479.jpg
[/img]

Picture478.jpg
[/img]

:lol: I think he's gonna be a pretty nice bull when he gets grown. He's not as "clean" as some I've seen, but I think he'll do.

About 28 months. He's a little taller than he looks compared to my sis in law. They are standing on a hill, her higher up than him. He's about 62 inches at the shoulder. The pic really doesn't do him justice, about all you can tell from the pic is that he is a Polled Hereford.

I think he looks pretty good. Hope his calves do well for you.

He's not picture perfect by any means, but he seems to be doing a good job for us. He sure is a friendly rascal.

Brad B":32bn43sx said:
Thanks for the fast replies. I'm hoping to get some white faced heifers to keep. I guess the color doesn't matter so much, since they will all be the same cross, but the "black baldy" color always comes in handy at the stockyard.

Brad

I'm new to the cattle business. Do black baldy's bring more than all black Angus (not pure-bred)?

kathy_horses":1w3ynrml said:
Brad B":1w3ynrml said:
Thanks for the fast replies. I'm hoping to get some white faced heifers to keep. I guess the color doesn't matter so much, since they will all be the same cross, but the "black baldy" color always comes in handy at the stockyard.

Brad

I'm new to the cattle business. Do black baldy's bring more than all black Angus (not pure-bred)?

Sometimes. Good cattle of any color will usually sell for more than sorry cattle of any color. I have been to several replacement heifer sales lately and the solid black heifers outsold the baldies. In fact at one sale the acutioneer offered to split a baldy out of a pen of five otherwise black cattle. In another sale, they sold probably 70-75 black heifers in groups of 20 or so. After they sold all the solid black ones, they ran in a group of 12 baldies that they had sorted out of the solid black ones. So apparently here in OK, some sale managers think solid black heifers are more valuable than the baldies.

Brad B":11txzki2 said:
:lol: I think he's gonna be a pretty nice bull when he gets grown. He's not as "clean" as some I've seen, but I think he'll do.

I've seen a lot of bulls in a lot of breeds that didn't look that good.

Thanks. I think for his age he's a nice bull. I've had him since he was 9 months old, and he hasn't had any supplemental feed in that time, so he's got everything you see from Bermuda grass. He's longer than he looks in the pic, but he could still use a couple more inches between the front and rear end.

Brad B":2qpb90mj said:
Thanks. I think for his age he's a nice bull. I've had him since he was 9 months old, and he hasn't had any supplemental feed in that time, so he's got everything you see from Bermuda grass. He's longer than he looks in the pic, but he could still use a couple more inches between the front and rear end.

Most importantly, his calves are good. I like length too, but I'd rather have a structurally sound bull with adequate length than a bull long as a freight train that went sway-backed early. :)

Latest posts