What can we do to improve the hereford breed

Help Support CattleToday:

BLACKPOWER":3vz7w5rz said:
Straight Hereford COWS will never be popular again and they shouldn't be. There are many problems with a hereford cow and i understand that they have been culling against these defects for a few years now. Cancer eye, sunburned tits, pinkeye, turbo tits, poor milking ability. There are simply other breeds of cows that have less problems, seems to be in two areas for the Herefords, UDDERS AND EYES. The herefords carcass merit and it's forageability make it the logical choice for crossbreeding. Hereford BULLS are where it's at. HEREFORD BULLS ANGUS COWS, even the Hereford Association admits this is where their market is headed in their ad marketing campaign.

but you don't get hereford bulls without hereford cows. & you need the traits i mentioned in the hereford cows so their sons can pass some of the same traits on to his daughters.

txag":4pvd6ox6 said:
BLACKPOWER":4pvd6ox6 said:
Straight Hereford COWS will never be popular again and they shouldn't be. There are many problems with a hereford cow and i understand that they have been culling against these defects for a few years now. Cancer eye, sunburned tits, pinkeye, turbo tits, poor milking ability. There are simply other breeds of cows that have less problems, seems to be in two areas for the Herefords, UDDERS AND EYES. The herefords carcass merit and it's forageability make it the logical choice for crossbreeding. Hereford BULLS are where it's at. HEREFORD BULLS ANGUS COWS, even the Hereford Association admits this is where their market is headed in their ad marketing campaign.

but you don't get hereford bulls without hereford cows. & you need the traits i mentioned in the hereford cows so their sons can pass some of the same traits on to his daughters.

I have never had a case of turbo tits , one case of cancer eye.

Blackpower,
I don't see anything in the general population of hereford bulls that makes me think you know what your talking about when it comes to hereford bull carcass merit. Secondly if your generalizing about hereford cows being poor quality, you have never been exposed to Victor bred cows. They are heavy milking , good teated, pigmented cows which I would much rather have than some blacks. If your generalizing that angus cows as a whole are better cows I agree. Why would you rather use a hereford as a terminal sire than a well made exotic bull?Is there a specific blood line of herefords that excell in carcass traits?

I do not have much expericence with Hereford cattle, except the use of Hereford bulls on my Black Angus cows. Several years ago when I was getting start with cattle I went to a Reg. Hereford(polled) breeder to look at and think about buying some of his heifers. The hereford breeder was get ready to take some of his steers/heifers to a big state sale(25 plus head), and as he ran them through the chute , I was stand there talking about buying a few head. I watched him and his help give about half of the calves shot right into their eye(several had milkly eyes) , I do not know if this is common but I KNEW RIGHT THEN I DO NOT WANT TO OWN ANY PURE BLOODED HEREFORD ANAMILS .........Just to much trouble. Now I know several of you are going to take offence to this, but since this man is a very well know Hereford breeder and I myself saw this , hereford cattle are not my choice....ALF..........

Ollie":or14x2j9 said:
Blackpower,
I don't see anything in the general population of hereford bulls that makes me think you know what your talking about when it comes to hereford bull carcass merit. Secondly if your generalizing about hereford cows being poor quality, you have never been exposed to Victor bred cows. They are heavy milking , good teated, pigmented cows which I would much rather have than some blacks. If your generalizing that angus cows as a whole are better cows I agree. Why would you rather use a hereford as a terminal sire than a well made exotic bull?Is there a specific blood line of herefords that excell in carcass traits?

totally agree on the victor cows, vindicator and braxton giant1 aint to shabby either

In my personal experience I will never raise purebreds Herefords again, I had done it and in the enviroment I have them the bulls really won't make it through a tough summer, but it does not mean I don't like Herefords, just last year I A.I. several F1's Simmental-Brahman and some Romagnola with Polled Hereford semen and I will A.I. several Charolais-Romagnola cows next month.

Latest posts