What bull two use on my heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

black

Reaction score
Im 14 and currently I have 2 angus heifers, an angus X charloais heifer,two charloais heifers,and three red angus X simmental Heifers and I was wondering what kind of bull to use? I want to use a hereford but I need to know what would bring in the most money. any input?

there are plenty of breeds to choose from, its probably more a "type "than a breed you need to look for.
What sells well in your area, not just breed but weight and age and where do they go ie feed lot?
What breeds are in your area? Choose a good breeder and go from there.

For now I would look 4 an easy calfer . They'll b better 4 1st calfers ,if they are 1st timers. Most buyrs want 2 c a black toung 4 some reason up in this area . they have easy calfers in every breed .

Obviously I am going to say use a Limi bull.. but as OldManemu said.. see what is selling in your area, ask a relative, or whoever you got the heifers from.

Black are you going to buy a bull for those heifers or AI. If you are going to AI the semen sites tell you which bulls have high calving ease numbers. Look for those bulls who also are proven and have high accuracies.!

I personally wouldn't reccomend buying a bull to breed that few cows!

You have 9 heifers, I think you would be better off AI'ing if at all possible, will be cheaper for you.
Are you selling market calves, trying to get heifers, or show calves? If you are going for market or heifers calves just find a good calving ease Angus bull to breed them to the first time, live calves sell for more than dead. If your going for show calves look at I-80, he is calving ease and thows a nice calf you can market, Steer or heifer.

Go to www.buyhereford.com and look at the semen lots for sale.

Right now you can buy an established Hereford sire with a minus birth wt. on lot#35 for $10 a straw.

This sure beats buying a bull if you can get your vet to AI them.

Well I don't know I'm planning on building a herd of about 60 head and I was wanting to just buy a couple of bulls or would it be better to AI?

black":2ih9g7pd said:
Well I don't know I'm planning on building a herd of about 60 head and I was wanting to just buy a couple of bulls or would it be better to AI?

Just how fast were you planning to get from 9hd to 60?

I would just start with AI. It's a valuable skill to learn how it works and what's involved and later on down the track you might breed a bull you like.

There right u gotta 50/50 chance of having 4 or 5 bull calvs to choose from. study and shop for genetics and you'll know where your bull came from.Eventually you,ll have your 60 plus head.

Latest posts