What Breed is he???

Help Support CattleToday:

lilfarmangel

Reaction score
Hey, I bought a steer calf and was told he's an angus... the guy I bought him from got the calf from the sale barn. The calf's a rollie-pollie little guy, always has been. Very healthy - NO HEALTH PROBLEMS. I would just like a second opinion on what breed you think he could be.
I took this picture this afternoon, he is about 9 months old. What gets me is that his head is so small, compaired to his body.
He stands four foot tall at the shoulders...
So? what'cha think?
DSC03541.JPG

Here's a pic of him laying down, you can really see how small his head is compaired to his body in this one!
DSC03539.JPG

Yes, he does have long hair... has since I bought him back in June...

3waycross":2mk59ek6 said:
He probably is mostly Angus.
Looks Angus to me. May be a little Galloway in there somewhere to account for all the hair in summer.

Ok, thanks. Guess I'm so use to seeing the long noses of Jerseys that his tiny little head makes him look odd to me.
Thanks for your input! I reallllly appreciate it!
Should I worry that he looks like a pot-bellied pig? Or is that normal for him? I swear he's as round as he is tall!

lilfarmangel":1eg8hszz said:
Ok, thanks. Guess I'm so use to seeing the long noses of Jerseys that his tiny little head makes him look odd to me.
Thanks for your input! I reallllly appreciate it!
Should I worry that he looks like a pot-bellied pig? Or is that normal for him? I swear he's as round as he is tall!

Most likely grass belly. Do you grain him much, or at all.

He's been pot-bellied since I got him. I've wormed him, given him baking soda hidden in his grain. He started rejecting his grain because he didn't want the baking soda.
He gets 1-2 flakes of each grass hay and alfalfa twice a day. In addition, he gets 2 coffee cups (yes, CUPS, not cans) of each, rolled grain and alfalfa pellets, plus 1/2 lb calf manna per day.
So I thought I was giving him too much alfalfa, cut that back... nope, still a butterball... I still feel like I'm not feeding him enough. I swear I fed my angus/jersey steer calf more than that when he was 9 months old!
He's happy, plays with the goats in his pen, does all the things my other calved did when they were his age...
Like I said before, maybe I'm so use to looking at dairy cows that I see him as malformed...

lilfarmangel":2kucps1o said:
He's been pot-bellied since I got him. I've wormed him, given him baking soda hidden in his grain. He started rejecting his grain because he didn't want the baking soda.
He gets 1-2 flakes of each grass hay and alfalfa twice a day. In addition, he gets 2 coffee cups (yes, CUPS, not cans) of each, rolled grain and alfalfa pellets, plus 1/2 lb calf manna per day.
So I thought I was giving him too much alfalfa, cut that back... nope, still a butterball... I still feel like I'm not feeding him enough. I swear I fed my angus/jersey steer calf more than that when he was 9 months old!
He's happy, plays with the goats in his pen, does all the things my other calved did when they were his age...
Like I said before, maybe I'm so use to looking at dairy cows that I see him as malformed...

I am guessing that your plan is to eat him. If that is the case he will need a lot more grain than that.

I'm afraid to feed him more grain... good god, don't think his knees will take anymore weight!!! He already waddles!!! (lol)
Yes, we do plan on eating him, and I am concerned that putting more weight on him will make him more round. Besides, we're a ways out from butchering him...

lilfarmangel":12hkuabh said:
I'm afraid to feed him more grain... good god, don't think his knees will take anymore weight!!! He already waddles!!! (lol)
Yes, we do plan on eating him, and I am concerned that putting more weight on him will make him more round. Besides, we're a ways out from butchering him...

Lack of nutrition is what made him look like a doggie (orphan). Read the definition of insanity. You want burger?

He isn't that heavy yet. No where near ready to eat. I'd say he is weighing in the 5 to 600 lb range hard to say on a picture but thats my guess. That is on the light side for a calf of that age. If you get him on a propper diet and nutrition and you slaughter him at the 1200 to 1300+ pound range which would be right for an angus steer and he gains 2.5 pounds a day you are looking at around 300 days till slaughter give or take due to me estimating current weight and average daily weight gain. Talk to a nutrisionist at a feed store and get him on a propper diet cause you are not feeding him enough.

Will he let you get your hands on him? If so, what does he feel like under all that hair? Can you feel his ribs or spine?
What did you worm him with? When an animal is loaded, it needs to be wormed more than once. He could still have a worm load.

Oh... and a pound of chaffhaye a day too... forgot to say that earlier.
Yes I can scratch on him. Nope, no ribs or spine. His fur is soft and he is very muscular.
I could worm him again, it's been a few months.. What do you suggest I use, Chippie?

Ok... so... what should I be feeding him?
You're right, Backhoeboogie. The guy I bought him from said he was an orphan. He also said the calf got the scours when he was feeding it calf replacer. He switched it over to goat's milk and the scours cleared up. He told me the calf was only about a month old, maybe a month & a half. I brought him home and continued the goats milk but also allowed him free access to hay. By the end of the day, the little guy is chewing his cud! So, yes I think there was a lack of nutrition from before I got him...
Now what? How do I reverse the piggy look on him?
I'd love to feed him more!! I WANT to feed him more. I don't want his short little legs giving out from under him!!!

That's good that he is in good shape. What did you deworm him with? I would use Ivermectin injectable.
It's hard to tell much about his conformation from the angle of your pics, but Angus used to have short legs and big bodies. Maybe he is a bit of a throwback.
The short legs shouldn't be a problem unless they are structurally unsound.

I used Cydectin pour on. I don't (yet) have a chute to contain him, so pour-on is the only option I know of.
But lets go back to what to feed him, please...

What should I give to him to get rid of that roundness?

He needs to be dewormed. There was a discussion here that had a link to an article about how ineffective pour on's are.
Can you rope him, tie him up to a post and drench or paste worm him? You should repeat it to kill the worms that hatch after the adults are killed.

Latest posts