What Breed is he???

Help Support CattleToday:

-XBAR-":b1707yz1 said:
Youre thinking way too much (its ok, I do constantly). IF you plan to eat him, you need to feed him a high energy diet just like you would dairy cattle. High protein diet will cause him to grow frame. High energy diet will cause him to fill out. Protein and energy are not mutually exclusive. Initially I would feed him a high energy diet that is also high protein and as he gets adequate frame, reduce the protein will still maintaining a high energy ration.

That's it!!! That I understand!! Now I have a better understanding of what to give him! And a better understanding of the grain!
Thanks sooo much XBar!

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
I don't think this animal looks excessively bellied down. I think you are not used to seeing a well muscled, big ribbed beef animal.
K.I.S. All he needs is shell corn & good quality hay. I think you are over-complicating things - along with everyone else. If I remember correctly, he's 9 months old. He needs max - 12% protein - that's all. He does not need calf manna. He's feedlot age - not a calf.quote]

OMGosh! That looks just like my Chunk! ... with less hair :p
Ok, I guess I can stop worrying about his girth! l :lol:
Thanks for the picture!!!!

chippie":1ggx8jpk said:
Seems like everyone agrees that a 12% protein beef feed and grass hay should be fine.

Thanks Chippie... I see you're right.
You've been tons of help :heart:
I can save my alfalfa for my milk animals and give him the grass hay and suppliment with 12% protein beef feed.. :banana:
Thank you soo much! :nod:

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2aug93zz said:
lilfarmangel - I believe you also said you would be turning him out. Did you mean on grass?

I have some acreage that can support about 3-4 head. (This part of Wyoming sucks as far as acre/head.) Right now I have 1 Jersey X steer (Gunner) grazing it. When I feel Chunk's big enough... and tall enough, I'd like to "turn him out" with Gunner to graze. It's what I did with Gunner and his older brother (Dingbat). I had Dingbat butchered this past spring, so now Gunner's alone. I can't put the steer out with my milk cows... they're little suckers and will steal milk! :lol:

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2ho3ccqr said:
A picture is worth a thousand words!!! Glad I could help - besides I got to "show off" my baby!
Since yours look so much like what I have, how tall should I expect him to get. My older steer is at least a foot to a foot & a half taller than "Chunk", and the way steer are, they'll play "mate" each other... will Chunk be able to handle the older steer's weight?

Latest posts