What breed for Commercial Pen of 3

Help Support CattleToday:

You want the cattle to be as uniform as possible. If you are going to show and sell at your fair, talk to your Extension Agent about what type is popular with the cattlemen in your area.

The tiger stripe and black crosses do well here. You want the cattle to be as uniform as possible in age, size and body type.

Uniformity is a big part of the equation. But if I remember correctly the carcass is also judged. If so I would be looking for something like a chi angus herf composite.

Maybe some f1 crosses. I find crosses tend to excel in carcass comps as well as hoof carcass animal shows but if you go to maybe a 3 way you'll probably lose uniformity.

Probably an f1 brahman x british breed would be suitable for TX? A brahman x euro would be too late maturing and probably not lay the fat down early enough.

Just ideas

I just realized that the original poster did not specify the type of pen. We have commercial heifer pens at out fair. I was referring to heifers.

Why Chi?

Why Brahman influence? Don't mean to ruffle the feathers of the American influence breeders, but wouldn't introducing American into the cross increase the length of time for the carcass to grade Choice.

farmwife":k2z2feff said:
Why Chi?

Why Brahman influence? Don't mean to ruffle the feathers of the American influence breeders, but wouldn't introducing American into the cross increase the length of time for the carcass to grade Choice.

Depends what you cross it with. If they can handle the weather by all means go with a continental x british. I was just trying to factor your climate into it.

Super baldy (Brangus x Hereford), Red Motleys (Santa Gertrudis x Hereford), Angus + (Angus x Brangus). The cattle only make 25% to 33% of pen score. Feed efficency and your records are worth more points than the visual appraisal of the cattle.

If I'm right the steer pens are judged on the hoof and the hook. If so my reasoning is that a 3/4 angus 1/4 chi or maybe even semi gives you a few things ; Looks, quality carcass, heavy muscling and feed efficiency. Wich show are you targeting? Houston?

Avalon":3a8oivw3 said:
Found this, Seems at Houston its all about carcass http://www.hlsr.com/livestock-show/down ... _Rules.pdf
You need to read gain:
19. Scoring Systems: The official scoring system is based on 100 points, allocated as follows:
a. Quiz ...................................... 25 pts.
b. Oral Interview ....................... 25 pts.
c. Record Book ........................ 25 pts.
d. Steer Grade .......................... 15 pts.
e. Cost/lb. gain ........................... 4 pts.
f. Avg. Daily gain ....................... 3 pts.
g. Feed Conversion .................... 3 pts.

Steer grade was worth 15 pts.

BC":3ukec19h said:
Avalon":3ukec19h said:
Found this, Seems at Houston its all about carcass http://www.hlsr.com/livestock-show/down ... _Rules.pdf
You need to read gain:
19. Scoring Systems: The official scoring system is based on 100 points, allocated as follows:
a. Quiz ...................................... 25 pts.
b. Oral Interview ....................... 25 pts.
c. Record Book ........................ 25 pts.
d. Steer Grade .......................... 15 pts.
e. Cost/lb. gain ........................... 4 pts.
f. Avg. Daily gain ....................... 3 pts.
g. Feed Conversion .................... 3 pts.

Steer grade was worth 15 pts.

Your right BC. My mind was to focused on the type cattle to use. I lost perspective.

aussie_cowgirl":3p7ltfwi said:
farmwife":3p7ltfwi said:
Why Chi?

Depends what you cross it with. If they can handle the weather by all means go with a continental x british. I was just trying to factor your climate into it.

Thanks for the input, but you need to check out the climate in Texas. It's not all desert and sagebrush. Granted we have our share of hot temps in the summer, but it's been rather cold late fall and winter this time around. We got 7 inches of snow last week; not very typical. Temps in the upper 20s is not at all uncommon. The steers will be fed September to March.

Avalon":8vj9xhlb said:
Uniformity is a big part of the equation. But if I remember correctly the carcass is also judged. If so I would be looking for something like a chi angus herf composite.

Why Chi?

farmwife":2a11l6b3 said:
Avalon":2a11l6b3 said:

Why Chi?

This is only my OPINION not even scientific. What I'm reccomending only a low percentage of Chi. 1. It is my recollection that Chi Angus have won a large number of the carcass contests in Denver each year. 2. I Love the look of a good chiangus. 3. I know I will take a bruiser on this statement but 75% of the time you will get a better carcass out of angus. 4. When I've raised Chiangus I get hybrid vigor that appears to give me superior muscling, better weight gains all in a pretty package. BUT as someone else pointed out, remember that a lot of this contest is around record keeping, knowledge etc.. I think it stated that only 15% of the contest relies on the carcass so dont get too carried away with my opinion. Focus on the big picture. BC made an excellent point and I had missed it.

I agree with Avalon, Chi composite cattle will do what you need them do to for you in this type of contest. I'm not talking about the recreational Chi cattle ie. terminal clubby genetics but real world Chis genetics. No there not crazy, fence jumping man killers as most of you want to belive. Chiangus sired cales have done very, very well in the NWSS fed beef contests. You can not beat the cost of gain or the feed conversion of these cattle. As a Chianina breeder my vewis may be one sided but, there is no reason to include any American cross calves in any contest that includes the points you have posted for this contest. There is room for quality continental x british calves though. The sugestion of limi would work but if I were you I would be looking for Chiangus sired calves out of Simangus dams.

You can have the best calves in the world with world class carcass characteristics and still not place well in the commercial steer show. It is about efficiency of gain, cost of gain and how cheaply you can get them to an acceptable carcass weight

Latest posts