What are you paying for cattle land?

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
I found a farm about 50 minutes from me that the owner wants $75 an acre to rent, it's a nice 128 acre cattle farm. Fencing, cross fencing and year round water is all in place but working facilities would need to be updated. I told him too much and I'd be interested at $40-$50 an acre.

I just have one rented. It's at $40. That's a little high, but it joins me, so I save a few dollars in time and fuel.

Either you rent a place, or you don't. If it sits, prices will come down.

Market calves are averaging $900. I could make $75 work if I needed the land. Maybe I can't find anything else and need it. If I don't, I pass.

Kid's went up on a place I had leased. I let the lease go. Its been sitting ever since.

That's an interesting situation, the $75 an acre seems high but doable if you had or were looking to increase your herd size and needed the ground. My biggest hold up on that deal would be the 50 mile drive to check the cows. That seems like a lot of road time, but if cows are all you do maybe that isn't that big of issue, I couldn't do that as I have a full time job and wouldn't have the time to check it as much as I would want to.

Latest posts