What are you huntin with this year ?

Help Support CattleToday:

I've been using a junky old Savage .222, with an old cheap Tasco 4-16X scope since I started hunting over 25 years ago. Shot most of my deer with it. All dropped where they were hit. I have much nicer, more expensive guns and scopes but I go back to this one because of the light recoil on my old, post surgical shoulders. :cowboy:

HAY MAKER":228guroc said:
dun":228guroc said:
M70 Carbine in 250 Savage. Just as effective yestersay as it has always been, one shot one deer.
Yup,lot'sa venison harvested with the old 250's,bout the best gun savage made in my opinion.
good luck
I have an old Savage Model 99 saddle carbine in 250 Savage caliber-- and its about all I use anymore for a deer gun...

I used my Savage 210 slug gun w/ Leupold scope deer hunting Illinois this past weekend. Here at home I usually use my trusty early 60's Mod 700 in 6mm Rem or my Mod 7 in 7mm-08. I am tempted to use my AR-15 since I have not killed anything but paper and a few snapping turtles with it so far.

I've got other rifles but 90% of the time I use my Marlin 30/30 with K4 Weaver that was my Dad's.Took my son's Mossberg ( Howa 1500) out Sat.Nice rifle in 308.He loves his Rem 700 Mtn. in 7mm/08.Deadly as is the Marlin.

PSE Bowmadness in 60# 29 1/2" DL. Archery only in my area :( but it lasts three solid months so i can't complain :D

dun":36tps8l1 said:
Dave":36tps8l1 said:
My daughter missed an elk so we took her gun (270) to the range. Shot a bunch through it and couldn't get it right. I think it is the cheap old scope she has. So she took my 30-06. She killed her first elk with it two days later. That gun has killed a lot of elk. Me I packed my 300 Win Mag but I never saw a legal bull. A three point or better area all I could find was spikes and cows. All three guns are Ruger M77. My two have Leopold scopes, hers has an old Bushnell Banner scope. Next year hers will have a Leopold.
The strange concept of checking zero and function before going hunting never occured to you/her?

She had just ran a couple shots through it. They were right on so she left alone. We are talking about a 23 year old here. I invited her out to shoot but she was always busy and .... well after all she had checked it. When we checked it after she missed the elk it was all over the place. It might put two in the same hole and then the next two not even hit the paper. The next time it might miss the paper with a couple and then put a couple right on. I cleaned the barrel real good but had the same results. It could be a lot of things but I am going with the old cheap scope first. I can guarantee next year she will take time to shoot it more. Kids...... sometimes they just have to learn the hard way. Of course dear old dad got to track an elk about a mile in some nasty contry to make sure that she had missed.

Caustic Burno":19gls5eu said:
Still using a 16 gauge with single ought buck, what I use every year, two in the freezer so far.

Good choice, a lot better than a silly 45-70 or any of those other single projectile gun thingys, especially with failing eyesight.

Latest posts