What are the odds?

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
Was slopping through a swamp today and my boots felt like they weighed 30 lbs each weighted down by a thick sticky mud. I stopped by a tree for a breather and since there was no sitting for the water I just grabbed a limb to steady myself. About that time I felt something with a familiar cold scaly feel to it on my arm. I looked at my arm and found myself staring at the beady eyes of a snake that had wrapped itself around my arm and was crawling toward my face! I'm pretty sure the snake was one of those flying screamster snakes. I got quite the chuckle after I startled it and it flew off my arm into the distance screaming like a young'un caught in a yellow jacket nest. Might not be totally accurate because it all happened so fast but I assure you there was screaming and the snake did fly but my memory is blurred somewhat because it all happened so fast.

But what are the odds of this happening twice in a lifetime? Its twice for me.

Guess it would depend on the feller. If said feller liked holding onto branches that contained snakes, I'd bet you the odds drastically increase.

My legs used to get longer when I'd reach into a chicken nest to gather eggs without looking and grab a chicken snake. I'd take one step back and be 8' away.

MO_cows":1v83w503 said:
I'm sure the screaming noise was just the wind whistling because the snake flew so fast....

I suspect it was. :lol:

Deepsouth":1v83w503 said:
Layne, you would think that a fellow that had grabbed hold of a snake on a limb once would learn to look at limbs a little closer before grabbing another. And I'm pretty sure snakes don't scream.

One of the luxuries of riding the short bus. (Take not of my sig line) :lol:

Deepsouth":2xs45zxn said:
Layne, you would think that a fellow that had grabbed hold of a snake on a limb once would learn to look at limbs a little closer before grabbing another. And I'm pretty sure snakes don't scream.

With my healthy respect for snakes, I might not of touched another limb in my life. I look twice when opening a chicken house door that hadn't housed chickens in over 2 decades.

To busy looking where your feet are instead of overhead. You'll be stepping on one next. I've been seeing lots of box turtles crawling the last few days.

Drawers were fine. Maybe a little damp.

Ran across a snake every day from Monday thru Wednesday. None Thursday. None today but today is not over yet.

TexasBred":1r52n7sg said:
greybeard":1r52n7sg said:
Were it a shiny serpent or a dull serpent?
It do make a difference.

Beady eyes and wings is about all I remember. Oh and a set of strong lungs. Possibly a healthy bladder too because I think it pizzed all down my pants when it flew off.....but I might be mistaken. It all happened so fast.

Sure would of been a good moment to have a video camera pointed at Jo. Then take that video and post it on youtube and watch it go viral lol.

There are some things better left to the imagination ....this being one of them. Might turn out the snake didn't have large wings and a healthy bladder and then where would I be. :oops:

This is what I am imagining poor lil snake was hang out in a tree minding its own business. When along comes big bad Jo and scares the poor snake so bad that the snake wet its scales and rushed off.

Latest posts