What are the odds?

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Rough week for my best friend. Stillborn calf Tues. 2 day old calf missing & presumed dead Wed. Found a 7 year old cow Fri morning that had prolapsed, both the cow & calf were dead. Checked cattle last night and found a 12 year old cow had prolapsed & died. Searched for an hour in the dark & finally found the calf, thankfully alive & was able to graft it on the cow that lost hers Tues.

We've only had cattle since 2009 & had our first uterine prolapse last year (she's fine, just had her 2nd calf). She's had 2 this year within 48 hours, 1 last year & 1 in 2013 - all died and none were heifers. What are the odds? I feel so bad for her.

Some cows are more prone to it than others it seems.. We haven't had a uterine prolapse here in a long time (cross fingers). Sure sounds like a rough year for your friend. I don't want to throw stones, but with more regular checks of the cattle I think the cows could at least have been saved. We've had our rough years too

Point taken. I have the luxury of calving out only 43 cows this year, 10 of which are heifers that I bring to the barn & we have moved all of them to the central pasture so they're somewhat confined (appx 320 acres) & we can/do check multiple times a day & night (night for the heifers & any cow that causes concern). My friend, on the other hand, is dealing with 146 Spring calvers in multiple pastures so I'm not qualified to judge - and wouldn't want to be in her position. That said, I just never considered uterine prolapse a significant "threat"/problem with seasoned cows. Clearly I was wrong.

Tell him it could be a lot tougher they hit a speed bump.
A dose of bangs or neospora is rough have had the good fortune to have had both through the years.