What are some ways to plant sprigs?

Help Support CattleToday:

clem

Reaction score
My pastures are bahia, but I want to plant a small hayfield in a good quality horse hay. I would like an alfalfa/bermuda mix. Can anyone suggest varieties that would do well in east central Mississippi, and how to plant sprigs on a limited budget? Thanks, Clem

Last year Caustic suggested I just disc over the spriggs. I tried that and it worked.

backhoeboogie":15cc81f3 said:
Last year Caustic suggested I just disc over the spriggs. I tried that and it worked.
If you catch the rain right it is the most economical for large areas.
I do know an elderly man that goes out every time it rains and pulls some up and plants it with a hoe. You would be suprised at how many acers he has planted over the years. Says it keeps his back from gitting stiff.
We planted some with a plow one time. Put in a furrow, the kids dropped in sprig. Others following covered with foot. The tractor wheel packed it on return row.
I like Caustic's idea best.

backhoeboggie wrote:
Last year Caustic suggested I just disc over the spriggs. I tried that and it worked

Yea, but don't you still have to fertilize after you disk to get the best results?

Dick

Packing is the most important part of planting spriggs. Or a good 2 in. rain right after planting might work.

Latest posts