What are land prices in your area like?

Help Support CattleToday:

MistyMorning

Reaction score
A neighbor south of us a few miles just put their place up for sale. It's 30 acres, house(1 1/2 story good shape), 6 stall horse barn, high land half pasture/hay, half wooded, with 1200feet on the Mississippi. They are asking 350,000.00. Just curious what something like that would go for in other areas.

other than being on the river, that price sounds fairly reasonable. we were looking at 20 acres fenced pasture, double wide home, shop, and 22 stall horse barn with automatic feeders for 330,000

Lake front lots here with no house water or sewer is bringing 16,000 to 200,000. Saw a sign today 38a 2.450,000.00. South of my house 80a sold in spring for 325,000.00 just brush, rocks and hills.

Land is too high to raise cattle on here after clearing fencing and planting no way to pay out.

we have places on the water with less than 1/2 acre go for that price.The best type of farming around here is house farming. but I think things are going to change,seeing more and more for sale sign's all over the place. Interest rates were to low for to long. If you saved your pennies, you could find a nice place cheap.

If they wonder why farmers are declineing, I think this is the main reason, if it wasn't for my folks letting me get a foot in the door I wouldn't be able to afford any cows. But I do agree that things are changing, they have just about built themselves outs.

anywhere from $2,000 at the lowest to $4500 if not more an acre. its kinda sad cuz the big guys are buying out the little guys. :(

cattleluvr18":wrnjomta said:
anywhere from $2,000 at the lowest to $4500 if not more an acre. its kinda sad cuz the big guys are buying out the little guys. :(

Become a big guy! ;-)

96 acres of premium coastal pastures, fenced and cross fenced, no climb horse wire, new Morton 7 stall horse barn with living quarters.. all the bells a whistles in the barn, plus an older 3 bed 1 bath farm house that was gutted to be remodeled. I put it under contract for $275,000.00

wow, i thought it was bad here when land prices doubled to 32-40 thousand a quarter. But in Alberta it's much much much higher.
Then again so is southern manitoba much higher than us. but it is slowly climbing.

40 acres with a refurbished house and a 2 acre pond, no decent pasture and very little timber listed for $240k. 73 actes with a house about like the other, 50 in decent hay/pasture the rest poor timber listed for $400k. 80 acres of timber with a 21 foot camp trailer, well, electric and septic for $190k

City folks are looking for a place to get away from it all. Can't say I really blame them. The big ranches are being broken up into 20 and 30 acre plots for weekenders that want to raise miniture donkies, horses, etc. All this helps the economy in the local area. I can't help but wonder what is going to happen to the beef industry in the long run? Where are those young kids going to find there start in ranching? It seems like it is no longer buying a ranch to make a living on but a real estate investment, and cattle are going to be a sideline.

Too high. Once you start talking about sections, then the price comes down somewhat, but it is commomly 2500 and acre and up. Around Hubbard, where we were looking before Steve got transferred, it started at 2500 and went up to 4000. We were looking around Oklahoma/Texas border, in OK, in fact, thinking that land would be cheaper, and it is to a degree. You have to get it faster than some housing developer can, though. It is depressing. Seems like if you did not inherit it or buy it years ago, the average person can't afford it.

novatech":9eemjpbu said:
City folks are looking for a place to get away from it all. Can't say I really blame them. The big ranches are being broken up into 20 and 30 acre plots for weekenders that want to raise miniture donkies, horses, etc. All this helps the economy in the local area. I can't help but wonder what is going to happen to the beef industry in the long run? Where are those young kids going to find there start in ranching? It seems like it is no longer buying a ranch to make a living on but a real estate investment, and cattle are going to be a sideline.

On a similar but slightly different note: High priced subdivisions were built close to the Charlotte Motor Speedway and now people are complaining about the noise. Urban sprawl rearing it's ugly head for more then just livestock producers.

Down here depending on what it was near would be between $650,000 and $1.5M. Near the beaches probably 10x that. :shock:

around here land is going for $2000 to $5000 an ac.but now thats a guy trying to sell peices of a 1500ac ranch off.but most land is $2000 an ac or better depending on the location.

Land prices around me are out of sight. $4000/acre and up. Don't know what the heck is driving it but I suspect it's the tax people.

I live in central Colorado @7000feet. In our valley the place you described would be worth 1.5 million or more to a developer. After it was subdivided 3 to 5 times that. Especially if there was a water right.

The only people who can afford to run cattle here are the bilionaires who want to keep the ag status on their little slice of heaven.

Latest posts