What AI bulls are you using this breeding season?

Help Support CattleToday:

Herefords.US":39zezgyb said:
AllForage":39zezgyb said:
George is he one of the pre-approved frame 6-7 Bulls needed for the breeds future? Of course deemed by the herftalk carcass mafia.

His progeny that have been measured average a FS of 5.8. I'd bet the bull himself is a mid 5 FS bull.

And I don't understand what you mean by "pre-approved". I bought Bailout based on his daughters that I saw in production. The ones I saw were correct, thick, and moderate in frame with good udders and adequate milk.

George that was a joke in regards to the opinions over on the herefordtalk.

AllForage":3gjkgj3q said:
Herefords.US":3gjkgj3q said:
AllForage":3gjkgj3q said:
George is he one of the pre-approved frame 6-7 Bulls needed for the breeds future? Of course deemed by the herftalk carcass mafia.

His progeny that have been measured average a FS of 5.8. I'd bet the bull himself is a mid 5 FS bull.

And I don't understand what you mean by "pre-approved". I bought Bailout based on his daughters that I saw in production. The ones I saw were correct, thick, and moderate in frame with good udders and adequate milk.

George that was a joke in regards to the opinions over on the herefordtalk.

Gotcha! I don't think Bailout is a "toad"...although I never could get an absolute definition of what a "toad" was from the posts there. Apparently "toadness" is largely in the eyes of the beholder...and everyone's definition is a little different.

I did have someone contact me about Bailout on FB and, when I told them about the progeny FS of 5.8, they said they could only sell bulls that were FS 6 and higher. :help:

Toad, thats the term I forgot. Funny how the ones yelling toad, seem to have the tall meatless corn crib cattle. I need to condense that down to one word. Well if they push you out there is plenty of room in the maternal grass based low input crowd. :)

Congratulations George, he looks great in your video.

When are you expecting your first calf crop? There is nothing even remotely "toadish" about him. Haha

Black and Good":1mj5ktvg said:
VAAngus":1mj5ktvg said:
Heifers:
SAV Bismark
SOO Line Motive

Cows:
SAV Beacon
Dameron C-5 American Classic
B C Eagle Eye
Hoover Dam

VAAngus, Where did you get your Eagle Eye semen or did you already have it? My Genex man told me it was all gone. I really like his daugters a lot. B&G

I got it from Genex last year, think I have 1 straw left.

gizmom":68d6m0m6 said:
I like his pretty picture and I like him in working clothes just a nice rip.

Gizmom
JWBrahman":68d6m0m6 said:
Congratulations George, he looks great in your video.

When are you expecting your first calf crop? There is nothing even remotely "toadish" about him. Haha

Thanks for the comments! I will get my first calf from him around September 1st.

SPH":1q14h3hb said:
etmountianman71":1q14h3hb said:
I decided to try some Hereford on my Angus.
LOEWEN C&L 33N APOLLO A42 (43373567) with good EPDs and proven calves.
Also might try VICTOR 719T (42800895).

719T is not a bad choice, lot of people using him these days. Just curious as to why you chose the Loewen bull over his sire X51 or even his grandsire Revolution as both those bulls are very proven bulls. His EPDs sure look good but I don't see anything that stands out over those 2 in the pictures I find of him. We have used Revolution 4R several years now and someone would have to knock our socks off with a great offer for us to sell some of the females we've retained of his so far. Not sure why more people aren't trying out the On Target 936 bull I mentioned earlier in this thread, his progeny are proving to be really thick and have been high sellers on sales. We plan to keep a son we bred out of him to use as our next herd sire as he might be the thickest bull we've ever bred. His dam is bred back to 936 along with another cow we have that has always had some of our best bull calves so we could even have more possibilities if we get an even better bull calf this year.

I chose the Loewen Apollo Bull by seeing his calves in person, and his EPDs. Still learning about some of the Hereford features over the Angus. Talked to the owner and seen the bull in the field in person as well.
The Revolution does have some of the best heifers from what I have been told.

Still a hard decision.

Herefords.US":1wi8q38j said:
My AI program for 2015 is mostly on hold since I have this proven sire walking in my pasture for the next year:

TH 75J 243R BAILOUT 144U ET

Bailout-Edited.jpg

Nice Bull

Lucky_P":lypgewxk said:
Had a cane of WS All In W111(pb SM) in the tank to use after the Bettis semen was used up - don't think I used but one straw.

I have some interest in this bull - why are you holding back on him?

Katpau":2q4u8x7q said:
gizmom":2q4u8x7q said:
BSE

The XXP bull has been on my radar for awhile I really like him and will probably get some in the tank for next year. I would this year but my husband has put me on restriction as far as semen and embryo purchases. I was going to use Really Windy but am afraid he puts more hair on them than our climate can stand, but I really like everything about the bull.

Gizmom
I thought XXP was no longer readily available? I believe Sinclair pulled him off the market. I have seen some semen selling from private parties, but the price is $100 per straw. He is a bull, I was interested in, but his docility EPD fluctuated wildly. He started out good and his owners claimed he had excellent docility. In January 2013, after he began getting some heavy use, his EPD for docility dropped to -16 with a .50 accuracy. As of today he has a +26 with an accuracy of .71. Talk about a wild ride. Most of it seemed to occur after he was no longer available through Genex. I considered using him last spring, but was no longer able to find semen in my price range. That is one of the risks of waiting for accuracy, but it may have been for the best.

We have two calves on the ground right now out of the dam of XXP from embryos that we purchased through the Sinclair Dispersal. There were only two eggs in the lot and both stuck and resulted in bull calves. The mating was N Bar Primrose Y3051 reg# 11553390 X Finks 5522-6148 reg# 11060295 The dam of these two young bulls is a stud maker. Maternal brothers include Sinclair Executive 9XU2 Reg# 16365949, Sinclair Emulation 5522 XP Reg# 15696693, Sinclair Emulation XXP Reg# 15355048 and Sinclair Grass Master Reg#16027094. To say I am a bit excited to see how these two calves develop would be a huge understatement!

gizmom

Congrats on the bull calves, they will be in good company. I like the XXP bull about as good as anything, Ive used a Grass Master son to clean up with, this year used some Boss a Grass Master son that im looking forward to getting some calves out of.

I am thinking I will use Top Hand again on the heifers. He is a Bismark son out of an In Focus cow. Great calving ease numbers. The heifers all get sold and having great calving ease is a good selling point.

Latest posts