What AI bulls are you using this breeding season?

Help Support CattleToday:

Nice young bulls, SPH!

This is the first polled Hereford cow I've owned, although I have been an admirer for years. I bought her from Fauquier Farm here in Virginia, and she has Rib Eye in her sire line. After owning several Tarentaise she has been quite a change - she is very laid back and gentle, and I literally have to push her out of the feeding stall after she has finished her ration. I have a very small place and I can only keep a couple of mommas, and I appreciate having a gentle cow when I am with them in the stall twice a day. I'm very happy to have her.

I've looked at a number of polled Herfs and many of them do need a better hind end. I might have more options with Genex after her first calf is born and I don't have to focus on bulls with high CED values. My AI guy will (understandably) only service Genex bulls, but it reduces the sires I have access to and is the reason I only produce Tarentaise crosses as they do not carry Tarentaise semen. A Tarentaise/polled Hereford does make a nice cross, by the way, and is a good outcross on Angus for baldies.

Michael

Thanks, we're pretty happy with this calf crop. First year we used 936 and really like the 3 calves we got, probably have 2 or 3 calves coming out of him this Feb including a full sib to that good looking bull I shared. We had a 2:1 bull to heifer ratio calf crop so probably we cut a couple bulls year that some years might have made the sale pen. Disposition and efficiency are definitely 2 positives of raising Herefords. They are easy on the fences and gates, easy to work, and are pretty efficient on pasture and feed. Our bull market has really picked up in the past 5 years, lot of commercial breeders looking for Hereford bulls to breed their black cows too as black baldies are bringing good money in the Midwest right now.

Ribeye is a good Hereford bull, of all the sires Genex has Revolution is the one we like the best. Heard mixed things on 719T, some people love him and some don't think he's anything special. I know of some breeders that are using Masterpiece and Worldwide too but haven't used him personally. Maybe look at the Strategy bull Genex has. He's a cross of On Target 22S (that is the sire of the 936 bull we use) and Revolution and he's out of the KCF program in your region. He has good calving ease too, only 76lb actual BW and good CE and BW EPDs. He's a pretty young bull but he's out of 2 good proven bloodlines.

Till-Hill":1j40v8vb said:
Short list if calves seem to be doing good.

For sure list
Simmental: Substance on PB's http://www.selectsiresbeef.com/index.ph ... d=SimAngus
If I may ask without causing offense....
What is the attraction of producing 1/8 angus calves?

My choice would be a purebred bull, either angus or simmental.
I would think F1 sim-angus calves would be the obvious choice if you don't want to produce pure simmentals.

Angus I have two cows at trans ova that are being bred tomorrow one to Sitz Upward the other to Sitz Investment
have been breeding heifers to Mohnen Long Haul have not got anything to settle if one more comes back in an dumping his semen bred 5 to him last year none settled
Purchased 10 units of R B Tour of Duty 177 to flush with chicken out its for sale at reduced rate

HughesFamilyCattle":1a4gq1e2 said:
How about Express Ranch bull's? Isn't anybody using them?

Lots birth weight on several of them. Out of great cows. They always have something to promote all the time
one never knows which are going to boom or bust. Just plenty other herds out there to choose from.

Saw sale report from Las Vegas national finals sale. $23,000 for two units of semen :clap: a Exar herd deceased herd bull

Son of Butch":mcrhfhnw said:
Till-Hill":mcrhfhnw said:
Short list if calves seem to be doing good.

For sure list
Simmental: Substance on PB's http://www.selectsiresbeef.com/index.ph ... d=SimAngus
If I may ask without causing offense....

My choice would be a purebred bull, either angus or simmental.
I would think F1 sim-angus calves would be the obvious choice if you don't want to produce pure simmentals.
If 3/4 bull is used on a PB Simmental association calls them a PB......Simmentals and every other breed turned black somehow. Simmental still has an open herdbull so I will continue to use them. We make some 1/4 bloods and use a 3/4 back on them for 1/2 blood calves. Using the % cattle on PB's helps an inbreeding problem I see coming in the Simmental breed to with that 1/8 Angus or whatever is in there.......works for me. SimAngus deal is really hot right now. Just had a guy call for a bull after seeing my calves across then fence all year. He will never use a PB Angus bull again.....

Vast majority of mature cows in the Fall herd were AIed to PRS Blazin' Hot (pb SM).
A few high% Angus cows that have nicked well with SH bulls were AIed to Waukaru Coppertop 464(SH), 'til the semen in the tank was gone.
Virgin heifers - mostly ANxSH - were AIed to Triple C Bettis (pb SM); Had a cane of WS All In W111(pb SM) in the tank to use after the Bettis semen was used up - don't think I used but one straw.
Had one straw of Hooks Pharoah 16P(pb SM) left to use on an 18-mo virgin Singletary daughter, but she's never cycled, so will probably be taking a ride to town here pretty soon...

Till-Hill":1oar9ghs said:
Son of Butch":1oar9ghs said:
If 3/4 bull is used on a PB Simmental association calls them a PB.
Thanks Till,
O.K. now that makes sense.
Guess I was wrong in thinking the Simmental association had higher standards than to call a 87.5% Simmental pure.
I was thinking 1/16 or less.

I decided to try some Hereford on my Angus.
LOEWEN C&L 33N APOLLO A42 (43373567) with good EPDs and proven calves.
Also might try VICTOR 719T (42800895).

etmountianman71":264k2b3w said:
I decided to try some Hereford on my Angus.
LOEWEN C&L 33N APOLLO A42 (43373567) with good EPDs and proven calves.
Also might try VICTOR 719T (42800895).

719T is not a bad choice, lot of people using him these days. Just curious as to why you chose the Loewen bull over his sire X51 or even his grandsire Revolution as both those bulls are very proven bulls. His EPDs sure look good but I don't see anything that stands out over those 2 in the pictures I find of him. We have used Revolution 4R several years now and someone would have to knock our socks off with a great offer for us to sell some of the females we've retained of his so far. Not sure why more people aren't trying out the On Target 936 bull I mentioned earlier in this thread, his progeny are proving to be really thick and have been high sellers on sales. We plan to keep a son we bred out of him to use as our next herd sire as he might be the thickest bull we've ever bred. His dam is bred back to 936 along with another cow we have that has always had some of our best bull calves so we could even have more possibilities if we get an even better bull calf this year.

My AI program for 2015 is mostly on hold since I have this proven sire walking in my pasture for the next year:

TH 75J 243R BAILOUT 144U ET

Bailout-Edited.jpg

Herefords.US":27s9wd9u said:
My AI program for 2015 is mostly on hold since I have this proven sire walking in my pasture for the next year:

Bailout-Edited.jpg

Come on George, how about a current pic not the pretty one :)

AllForage":2g8sow3j said:
Herefords.US":2g8sow3j said:

Bailout-Edited.jpg

Come on George, how about a current pic not the pretty one :)

How about my first attempt of making a video from my phone? And don't let all that grass that I have distract you! Yes, the drought in Texas was still alive and well in 2014!

[youtube]http://youtu.be/BHhaB8BKx3Y[/youtube]

George is he one of the pre-approved frame 6-7 Bulls needed for the breeds future? Of course deemed by the herftalk carcass mafia.

VAAngus":242lnvob said:
Heifers:
SAV Bismark
SOO Line Motive

Cows:
SAV Beacon
Dameron C-5 American Classic
B C Eagle Eye
Hoover Dam

VAAngus, Where did you get your Eagle Eye semen or did you already have it? My Genex man told me it was all gone. I really like his daugters a lot. B&G

AllForage":2ovp1iun said:
George is he one of the pre-approved frame 6-7 Bulls needed for the breeds future? Of course deemed by the herftalk carcass mafia.

His progeny that have been measured average a FS of 5.8. I'd bet the bull himself is a mid 5 FS bull.

And I don't understand what you mean by "pre-approved". I bought Bailout based on his daughters that I saw in production. The ones I saw were correct, thick, and moderate in frame with good udders and adequate milk.

Herefords.US":anqz631k said:
AllForage":anqz631k said:

His progeny that have been measured average a FS of 5.8. I'd bet the bull himself is a mid 5 FS bull.

And I don't understand what you mean by "pre-approved". I bought Bailout based on his daughters that I saw in production. The ones I saw were correct, thick, and moderate in frame with good udders and adequate milk.

Has he been on fescue somewhere? That would explain it if he was

Latest posts