What a night

Help Support CattleToday:

JMJ Farms":s001xtcb said:
[.......This (and deer) is one of the main reasons I don't drive motorcycles.

Amen. My son 23 yo survived a bad one last fall. Teenager ran stop sign and plowed into him. He, and we, were extremely lucky. (He had on full Kevlar riding gear or ER doc said he'd have been killed).
My dad was almost killed on one when I was little (by a 15 yo unlicensed driver). Took a few years for him to recoup. We grew up on them, and dirt bikes, but think we are all done now.

When our son got hurt, people we knew told us all the people in their families who had been killed on them. It was a real eye-opener.

My thoughts go out to the people who hit the bull. Very tragic. Gotta feel for the farmer too, assuming he wasn't derelict.

Glad they're back safe & sound! There's something inherently creepy, knowing someone's been on your property, especially when you don't know the intent. We've found open gates, beer cans/bottles, tire tracks, gloves, footprints in the snow & mud . . . you name it.

Little over a year ago one of our neighbors hit a deer going 75 on his motorcycle - no helmet. Amazingly he didn't suffer any serious injuries. First thing he did was buy a new bike.

We kept having gates by the road wind up mysteriously open. After running cows back in about three times we put locks on all gates around the exterior. I'd just like to know why somebody would think it's funny to do crap like that.

CCCowman":2064bs9y said:
Kingfisher":2064bs9y said:
CCCowman":2064bs9y said:
! Plus I like to throw them some feed out and sit on my bucket and talk to them.
What do ya'll talk about? ;)

Whatever is on their mind. Once a month I give them a chance to let me know how I can improve things for them. I must be doing pretty good. .......haven't had any complaints! !! :D
mount a suggestion box to the gate post :idea:

I don't know what to say...we all here voices. It's our choice which ones we listen to. :)
We all talk to them cows! Most of em will talk back. Some not so much. Don't you think?

Mine, despite being rather spoiled, are ALWAYS complaining.. especially if supper is a half hour late, or the menu wasn't as good as it was the day before. It's especially bad now that there's green grass on the other side of the fence.. Oh well. they'll be out there soon enough.
I do have some cows that 'talk' though.. On a couple occasions I called one of my heifers by name and she'd perk her head up and give me a punctuated Moo!

I can feel your pain a little today! Picked up 10 calves at the barn last night. 2 700 pound butcher steers and 8 500 pound just weaned heifers that were balling for mamma. I locked them up in the corrals, double checked the gates before heading to bed. One of the 6 gates in the corrals was a power river panel gate with a L shaped push bar. It also has a safety latch that flips over so the bar can't slip out and I must of forgot to flip that sucker over!?!? I woke up this morning and not one of them were in the corrals, they had split in 5 different directions! About 7 hours later I finally got the last one home and got the neighbors fences fixed. I felt horrible about the neighbors fences and I'm sure there's some fences I didn't get fixed, them heifers went everywhere. I am just glad I got them all home, them heifers could have gone 10 miles away looking for mom! I think I'll head out one more time tonight and check my gates lol.

yakker":cs4juj3h said:
I can feel your pain a little today! Picked up 10 calves at the barn last night. 2 700 pound butcher steers and 8 500 pound just weaned heifers that were balling for mamma. I locked them up in the corrals, double checked the gates before heading to bed. One of the 6 gates in the corrals was a power river panel gate with a L shaped push bar. It also has a safety latch that flips over so the bar can't slip out and I must of forgot to flip that sucker over!?!? I woke up this morning and not one of them were in the corrals, they had split in 5 different directions! About 7 hours later I finally got the last one home and got the neighbors fences fixed. I felt horrible about the neighbors fences and I'm sure there's some fences I didn't get fixed, them heifers went everywhere. I am just glad I got them all home, them heifers could have gone 10 miles away looking for mom! I think I'll head out one more time tonight and check my gates lol.

Wow, now that's a bad night (and day)! But glad you got them all back! Ours had the benefit of having mamas nearby so they luckily didn't go too far (although how they got to the area they ended up in, we still can't figure out!)

Latest posts