What a long day

Help Support CattleToday:

denvermartinfarms

Reaction score
Today me and dad spent 14 hours on a 8 hour job and have most of a day tommorow finishing it, so I will miss most of the sale :cry2: . We are putting in a new lateral field for a friend if dads a little over an hour from home, today we get there and start digging and find out the line from his tank to his current field so deep it won't ever work good, then we get a little further and find that the power line going to his house is exactly the same depth as what our pipe needs to be in that spot, so we have expose more of the old line to hook into it in a higher spot. Next he has failed to mention that one of his yard sprinklers runs through where we are digging and a dog fence wire, then a abandoned cable and phone line, none of witch were a big deal but required stopping and calling the owner to make sure they were all dead. Next is the real booger, we think we are past any and all utilities and I scrape a 2" gas line with the backhoe, didn't open it any just scuffed it a little, so dad calls the locate company to report it and have someone come out and tell us what it is since they hadn't located it when we had them out marking the power, well by federal law anytime you accidentally expose a gas line you have to call 911, then we have 4 fireman a giant fire truck, 2 different gas companies, the city, and the locate company on the job, they all tell us that it is a old abandoned line and is on none of there maps, they tell us to keep digging and cut it we are good to go on. 10 minutes later we dig through it and now I am in the ditch and dad is digging, and I here gas, oops it wasn't dead! Everyone that showed up the first time had to come back, but this time there is even more of them, I taped it up and stopped the gas, but still know one knows what it is or where it goes? Then the owner remembers his swimming pool company buried it to his pool heater :idea: 8" deep with no tracer wire! Once that was learned we got the line shut off and plugged, and after getting everyone the paperwork they needed we got back to digging at 5pm this evening. Oh and his system is in green clay so it's like a pond and every ditch we dig fills with a foot of sewer water. I'm not one to complain about anything, I just thought this might make someone else's bad day seem a little better.

Denver sorry your day was rough last week my guys ripped a few fiber optic cables that go to an atm up at a local college...lol I was so relieved the marking company messed up the lines and they were responsible to pay for the lines.

tater74":1ullwnkz said:
I feel bad for you, but it made my day appear to be pretty good. I hope tommorow is better for you.
No need to feel bad it could have been even worse, of course this is a free job to repay the guy for something he once did for us, so the whole time were there I'm thinking about the paying work we are putting off.

skyhightree1":2t455ybk said:
Denver sorry your day was rough last week my guys ripped a few fiber optic cables that go to an atm up at a local college...lol I was so relieved the marking company messed up the lines and they were responsible to pay for the lines.
Always good when it's the marking company that has messed up. We really aren't out anything for this deal, the home owner will have a gas plumber fix it and pay for it, and he is probably going to have some pretty good bills from the fire department and gas company, none of witch did anything other than show up but that's how it works.

denvermartinfarms":2eh0tvca said:
skyhightree1":2eh0tvca said:
Always good when it's the marking company that has messed up. We really aren't out anything for this deal, the home owner will have a gas plumber fix it and pay for it, and he is probably going to have some pretty good bills from the fire department and gas company, none of witch did anything other than show up but that's how it works.

No matter if someone does something or not... Their hands are ALWAYS out wanting you to fill them. Its crazy.

Kingfisher":2w3ut0vh said:
Y'all got swimming pools? :) Suck it up Princess. :)
Hey I ain't got one. That's pretty much what mom said about the deal. And the guy that own's the place told us he made 80k last week in the stock market. I'm pretty sure he won't have any trouble paying to have his gas line fixed.

Sounds like all of you had a real fun time.
If you would break your posts into paragraphs, or if you don't know how to do paragraphs just skip a line ever now and then to break it up. :roll:

Hard to read everything all running together. At least it is hard for me. :help:

That's a rough day. Hope it gets better for you.
Line breaks do make reading easier btw

Is the law about calling just a mo thing? Ive never heard that before and we cut plenty of them when i used to bury telephone lines. Usually just the service lines but i did cut a few 2" lines. That sounds pretty big just for a heater. Sounds like a rough day. Hope today was better

Craig Miller":1xoz1pfp said:
Is the law about calling just a mo thing? Ive never heard that before and we cut plenty of them when i used to bury telephone lines. Usually just the service lines but i did cut a few 2" lines. That sounds pretty big just for a heater. Sounds like a rough day. Hope today was better
It's a federal law they tell us, but it's a newer I think. Yes the line was borderline over kill, it runs that pool heater and a wall heater in a small shop, but they only run a 7 ounces pressure so it takes a little more Volume than one might think.

Ryder":39f9m155 said:
Sounds like all of you had a real fun time.
If you would break your posts into paragraphs, or if you don't know how to do paragraphs just skip a line ever now and then to break it up. :roll:

Hard to read everything all running together. At least it is hard for me. :help:
Well.
I.
Is.
Very.
Sorry.
:lol2: .
:mrgreen: .
This week I am learning how to tell time and spell, next week is paragraphs. :lol2:

Latest posts