What 3 way cross would you do?

Help Support CattleToday:

Starting with a clean slate I would do GV RA cows terminal Char if I was certain I could reliably source type and management preference bred heifers.

If raising my own replacements I would stick with RA X Char. Use RA on my heifers and 2 yr olds and solid terminal Char on matures.

"If raising my own replacements I would stick with RA X Char. Use RA on my heifers and 2 yr olds and solid terminal Char on matures."

We love our gert x chars, but we sometimes get all white calves when we go back with char bull. Do you experience the same with your crossess.

One day I'm gonna do tigers and throw a char bull on them. Some of the best calves I've ever saw were those crosses.

midtncattle":mi0sf1ir said:
"If raising my own replacements I would stick with RA X Char. Use RA on my heifers and 2 yr olds and solid terminal Char on matures."

We love our gert x chars, but we sometimes get all white calves when we go back with char bull. Do you experience the same with your crossess.

The original question was "if you could start with a clean slate", our slate is not clean, far from it. My neighbors herd is pretty well a straight Red Angus bunch of cows and he breeds them Char and the vast majority of his calves are buckskins.

We get the bucksin as well. Our gert x char are great mommas, but they kick out white cows many times. I was wondering if you got the same when you took your RA x Char back with Char bull. I am thinking gert x herford then to a char bull to keep my buckskin terminal calves

Well I was hoping my hubby would answer differently, but he's stuck on
holstein x angus x hereford OR holstein x hereford x angus

yeah, yeah, yeah I know........

My choice would be: red poll x char x (angus or hereford)

Pity I couldn't dye the hair on a char bull to solid black so I could have some char x calves.... oh well!

expensive hobby":24v6v7hr said:
ABrauny":24v6v7hr said:
Red or Black Angus X Hereford females with a Gelbvieh bull for a terminal sire.

Would this give different results than going with Gelbvieh/Hereford females and terminal with an angus bull?

Theoretically you would have less marbling. But like Dylan says so much of it depends on the individual animals that you start with

Using the Glbvieh as the terminal the probability of higher yeild grade is better but the quality grade lower. Also using the Gelbvieh as the first cross you're going to most likely get more milk so that those terminal sired calves can better express their genetic ability

Thanks everyone. Dun, I do like the idea of the Gelbvieh/Hereford cross with a BA bull for terminal, but I can't seem to find any Gelbvieh in this area. I need to keep looking. I would like to get a few to try out before I go "all in."

expensive hobby":2w5bzcvl said:
Thanks everyone. Dun, I do like the idea of the Gelbvieh/Hereford cross with a BA bull for terminal, but I can't seem to find any Gelbvieh in this area. I need to keep looking. I would like to get a few to try out before I go "all in."
Just do AI on the Hereford cows, that's how we did it.

Just do AI on the Hereford cows, that's how we did it.[/quote]

I never got into the AI thing. Would be quicker and cheaper than starting from scratch. How do you go about finding am AI tech? Just a local vet or is it something more than that? Where did you get your straws? And what do you do with them when you get them?

expensive hobby":4qrs58a4 said:
Just do AI on the Hereford cows, that's how we did it.

I never got into the AI thing. Would be quicker and cheaper than starting from scratch. How do you go about finding am AI tech? Just a local vet or is it something more than that? Where did you get your straws? And what do you do with them when you get them?[/quote]
I started doing AI myself years ago. There are some good schools that will teach you. You need a nitrogen tank to store the semen. Some vets do it, most likely there will be someone that either works ata dairy or does their AI work for them.

expensive hobby":impi9cvr said:
How do you go about finding am AI tech?
Doug Baker is your areas ABS manager according to my latest information. He can be reached at 570-568-0920 or [email protected]. He should be able to get you in contact with someone in your area. If that doesn't work please feel free to send me a PM and I'll try to get you in touch with someone in your area.

Latest posts