What 3 way cross would you do?

Help Support CattleToday:

expensive hobby

Reaction score
If you could start with a clean slate, which breeds would you choose in a 3 way cross? What would you start with and what would you go terminal with? I like the hereford/black angus cross but not really sure what to throw into the mix. I would like to hear what some others are doing.

Just like VanC, but may consider using a black Angus as a terminal sire instead of a Charolais. Just ad much growth and everybody in the world seems to have them. If in the south I'd go with Red Angus x Beefmaster females.

Black Angus cow x Hereford, then go Charolais for terminal or back to Angus for replacements.

Julian":u74fhgtx said:
Just like VanC, but may consider using a black Angus as a terminal sire instead of a Charolais.

Is that really a 3 way cross?

dun":37ejdpda said:
Gelbvieh X Hereford with Red or black Angus as the terminal

Why that order? Why not a hereford X angus then Gelvieh? Something genetic or just easier to find an angus bull for terminal?

angus9259":27sbb7jw said:
dun":27sbb7jw said:

Why that order? Why not a hereford X angus then Gelvieh? Something genetic or just easier to find an angus bull for terminal?
The angus as terminal to increase the odds of higher quality grade.

dun":2e6vxayp said:

Ditto that!

The best reason I can find to do it in that order is you only have to have one Angus on the place........ :mrgreen:

Just kiddin but for sure those GV/Herf cows should be real good to handle and great momma's. I totally agree with Dun you would get a lot of carcass traits(marbling) out of the RIGHT angus bull on those cows.

What we're doing currently is AngusxShorthorn cows with a black Simmental bull.
Have a few Simmental cows that we're also breeding Shorthorn, and will either do an Angus bull on them or let the black Simmental bull have 'em.

balancer[gelbvieh/angus]+herford
i,ve got some and i am completly satisfied.
i bred reg. herford bull to my comm. black balancers. got 1 bwf bull 430# at 4 months and 2 rwf heifers 360# to 380# at 4 months

u4411clb":2240mpts said:
Gert x Hereford mommas with a terminal Black Angus bull.

Actually I am just getting started with this cross. A family friend runs Gerts and I just loaded a few heifers. So far, I'm not so impressed with them. They have not calved for me yet, but I have been picking up on some of the Gerts negative publicity. They seem to have an "attitude." May just be me but I'm not looking forward to calving season with them. They will probably calm down with hereford thrown on them, and they seem to be impressive in growth. I kind of like Duns suggestion with the Gelbvieh. From what I have been reading, they seem to be a good maternal breed, and quiet....which is a plus.

expensive hobby":2d0hk7wd said:
u4411clb":2d0hk7wd said:
Gert x Hereford mommas with a terminal Black Angus bull.

Actually I am just getting started with this cross. A family friend runs Gerts and I just loaded a few heifers. So far, I'm not so impressed with them. They have not calved for me yet, but I have been picking up on some of the Gerts negative publicity. They seem to have an "attitude." May just be me but I'm not looking forward to calving season with them. They will probably calm down with hereford thrown on them, and they seem to be impressive in growth. I kind of like Duns suggestion with the Gelbvieh. From what I have been reading, they seem to be a good maternal breed, and quiet....which is a plus.
Gerts or for that matter any of the Brahman influenced breeds/cattle take different handling then the usual british or continentals. SLOOOOOOOOOW and easy and they're fine, hoorah them once and you're screwed.

right now i do Charolais X Hereford X "Red" Charolais but for a three way i would have to say Hereford X Red Angus or depending preference a black bull...BA, GV, SM, etc then X Charolais.

Latest posts