What’s the best way to wean?!

Help Support CattleToday:

ksmit454

Reaction score
I have two cow calf pairs, the calves are 6 and 7 months old. I will not be keeping the cows and will be taking them to the local livestock auction. What is the best way to wean? Is it reasonable to just take the cows to the auction and use that as weaning? Or would you suggest weaning between a fence for about a week before taking the cows to the auction?

Fenceline weaning works for us. Calves don't fight fences as bad when they see the cow occasionally. They only bawl for a couple days.

Taking the cows to the auction at weaning is better than taking the calves but both will benefit if you fenceline wean them for a week or so. The calves will stay healthier and the cows can put on a few lbs if they have something to eat.

I would put out some decent hay for both on each side of the divider fence and let them get the walking and bawling out of their system.

I never have much luck with the fence line weaning deal. The place I wean calves at has a small herd of cattle and the calves that are born on that place and weaned on that place are always the slowest to get with the program. The ones I load up and haul from other properties take to feed and every thing else in a day or two.

I have been doing the one and done program for years. Always wean by loading the cows up and shipping them. Put the calves in a pretty solid corral for about 4 days and them letting them out on pasture. As I said I have done it that way for years on 100's of pairs never had an issue doing it that way.

We usually fence line wean and let the cows have access into the pen next to the calves for a couple of days. Then after those couple of days we close the pen so the cows can see the calves but can't get next to them.

We usually take the cull cows about a week or two after we wean their calves. Like others said, it helps them add a couple of pounds and helps make sure the weaning goes smoothly.

I've tried fence line weaning because all the magazines say I should. I can honestly say it doesn't work for me. The calves bawl for forever. This year I penned the calves in my normal weaning pen and penned the cows out of sight in a nice pasture with shade and the calves hardly made a peep.

So from now on thats how I will be weaning.Your mileage may vary.

My thought is if you are planning on shipping the cows anyway, why take the shrink that comes along with weaning? And kill cow prices are dropping so why wait and get less money?

If you only have two I'd use the nose flaps, they work awesome on calves that age.
I always like to feed my cull cows for 30 days or so after weaning. Cows that stand around and bawl tend to loose weight, and cows with full udders don't bring as much as dry cull cows.
I'm going to try fence line weaning again. I'm not a big fan, but I had cows travel 1/2 a mile last fall to get back in with there calves.
Another thing, (I didn't believe it til I tried it. Now I'm a firm believer) wean by the dark of the moon. The calves bawl less and get over weaning sooner.

SBMF 2015 said:
If you only have two I'd use the nose flaps, they work awesome on calves that age.
I always like to feed my cull cows for 30 days or so after weaning. Cows that stand around and bawl tend to loose weight, and cows with full udders don't bring as much as dry cull cows.
I'm going to try fence line weaning again. I'm not a big fan, but I had cows travel 1/2 a mile last fall to get back in with there calves.
Another thing, (I didn't believe it til I tried it. Now I'm a firm believer) wean by the dark of the moon. The calves bawl less and get over weaning sooner.

Farmers Almanac, best days to wean. Looks like 10/7 is my target date this year.

If you have the facilities, creep feed the calves a couple of weeks before weaning.
Wean during dark of the moon. They may bawl but they don't wander or push fence so much.
Avoid and cull cows with a high milking capacity. They will be your hardest keepers.
Develop a plan before the fact and follow it. Good Luck.....

Thank you all for the good feedback! It seems as if everyone's about 50/50. Some prefer fence line, some prefer total separation. I do have weaning flaps. With my set up, I think the best thing is to throw the weaning flaps on, and take the two cows to the auction the morning of. The two calves are already eating really good as far as hay goes. Thanks again! Some really good advice. Sounds like trial and error is the best idea here to see what works best for each person.

Dave said:
My thought is if you are planning on shipping the cows anyway, why take the shrink that comes along with weaning? And kill cow prices are dropping so why wait and get less money?

That was my thought too Dave. I might as well take cows to the sake the morning of so there's less of shrink.

ksmit454 said:
Thank you all for the good feedback! It seems as if everyone's about 50/50. Some prefer fence line, some prefer total separation. I do have weaning flaps. With my set up, I think the best thing is to throw the weaning flaps on, and take the two cows to the auction the morning of. The two calves are already eating really good as far as hay goes. Thanks again! Some really good advice. Sounds like trial and error is the best idea here to see what works best for each person.

Not really any point to putting nose flaps in if you take away the cows.

SBMF 2015 said:
ksmit454 said:

Sorry I worded that wrong. I meant put on the nose flaps a week before taking the cows to the sale. Maybe make it a little easier for the calves...?

ksmit454 said:
SBMF 2015 said:
ksmit454 said:

Sorry I worded that wrong. I meant put on the nose flaps a week before taking the cows to the sale. Maybe make it a little easier for the calves...?

Definitely makes it easier on the calves. The cows won't go through the sale with swollen udders either.

I just put the weaning flaps in. The calves seem a little uncomfortable with them in. Will they get used to the flaps? And how long should I leave them in? The sale is in 6 days and I planned on taking them out once I take cows to the sale.

Latest posts