• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

What’s the best way to wean?!

Help Support CattleToday:

Dusty Britches

Reaction score
I use the Quiet Wean, too, but I have to leave them in for 7-10 days, which is what I think they recommend. Then when I pull the QW out, I fence line wean. Invariably I have a few that figure out the flap and hold their noses up until they reach the udder and then use the udder to hold it up while they nurse. Then after a 3-5 days, I move the cows away. The stress is dramatically less on the cows and the calves. I use to have cows that would run through fences looking for their calves when I trailer weaned.

Double R Ranch

Reaction score
Quietwean says 4-7 days. I’ve had to leave them in longer but have found they do irritate the inside of the nose. Some of the other styles really hurt the inside of their nose.

GoWyo

Reaction score
I have the yellow quiet wean tabs and the orange ones with a spikey side. The yellow ones don't irritate their noses too bad, but the orange ones have the seam from the mold that causes quite a bit of irritation. I smoothed them off with pocket knife and sand paper and they were a lot better. Leave them in a week. This year was quiet. No bellowing even though 4 or 5 lost theirs.

elkwc

Reaction score
We usually wean and move the calves and leave the cows in the pasture. It has worked for years but if I have 1-2 pairs around the house I put the calves in an adjoining pen for 3-4 days then move them. Did one last week. No issues either way.

Latest posts