What’s the best way to wean?!

Help Support CattleToday:

I use the Quiet Wean, too, but I have to leave them in for 7-10 days, which is what I think they recommend. Then when I pull the QW out, I fence line wean. Invariably I have a few that figure out the flap and hold their noses up until they reach the udder and then use the udder to hold it up while they nurse. Then after a 3-5 days, I move the cows away. The stress is dramatically less on the cows and the calves. I use to have cows that would run through fences looking for their calves when I trailer weaned.

Quietwean says 4-7 days. I've had to leave them in longer but have found they do irritate the inside of the nose. Some of the other styles really hurt the inside of their nose.

I have the yellow quiet wean tabs and the orange ones with a spikey side. The yellow ones don't irritate their noses too bad, but the orange ones have the seam from the mold that causes quite a bit of irritation. I smoothed them off with pocket knife and sand paper and they were a lot better. Leave them in a week. This year was quiet. No bellowing even though 4 or 5 lost theirs.

We usually wean and move the calves and leave the cows in the pasture. It has worked for years but if I have 1-2 pairs around the house I put the calves in an adjoining pen for 3-4 days then move them. Did one last week. No issues either way.

Latest posts