wet distillers grain

Help Support CattleToday:

tomlin

Reaction score
I'm feeding 500# charolais steers wet distillers grain and free choice hay. What can I mix with the distillers to increase gain?

tomlin":3guku7ev said:
I'm feeding 500# charolais steers wet distillers grain and free choice hay. What can I mix with the distillers to increase gain?
Probably something more slowly fermented and digestable like whole shelled corn and or whole oats. The wet distillers grain is supposed to be only 30% of the diet, can cause a lot of problems if fed more than that. It has concentrated sulpher, protien, and toxins after the starch is taken out.

I agree, a lot depends on your hay. I would mix the WDG with grain, whatever is cheapest most available. Like about 2 parts grain to 1 part WDG.

I do have corn that is available. It is ear corn. The hay is okay but not the best. I'm picking up the WDG pretty cheap. I thinking along the lines of buying some good alfalfa hay, ear corn and grind it in the WDG. Still offering the free choice hay.
Does that sound like a good mix? How long will this mix keep in the grinder-or will I have to grind and mix it everyday?
Also I do have acess to some corn silage!

Preston- there is a small local brewery that I get the wdg from. It amounts to about 4 -6 tons a week.
Local price is around $45-$55 per ton/bagged.

Thanks for all the info. I think I'm going to try the wdg, ear corn, and small amount of silage.

tomlin":2awi3yaa said:
Preston- there is a small local brewery that I get the wdg from. It amounts to about 4 -6 tons a week.
Local price is around $45-$55 per ton/bagged.

Thanks for all the info. I think I'm going to try the wdg, ear corn, and small amount of silage.
What do you meen when you say bagged? I've never seen wet distillers grain bagged. I'm curious to hear how they do that and at what moisture the wdg is.

I do not bag mine. A near-by farm buys a large trailer load and they bag it into a large silage style bag. They bag fits over a steel frame that is mounted on the rear of the trailer. As they dump into the bag and move foward the bag fills and unravels(sp).
I don't know what their moisture is.
We don't use the same supplier. Mine comes straight out of the hooper(steamer) onto the truck. No rolling or pressing. Very wet.

Thanks for thre explanation. I understand now. The farmer bags it with a silage bagger after he hauls it to the farm.

Well not really- The supplier hauls and bags/long tube it for the farmer at the farm for $45-$55 ton.

I would search the additives to WDG very carefully.

It is my understanding that the starch is removed and that allows some of the remaining ingredients to be overly concentrated and requires fixing. Have read about it but, we don't have any nearby.At that price wish we did. But, with the ethanol expansion, prospects for a local plant are very good.

The best grain to compliment wet distillers is probably corn. We have also found rolled or cracked corn to be better than whole kernel. With the price of corn, corn silage would be a nice choice. The best way to do it if you have a tmr mixer wagon would be to grind your hay, and add the other ingredients with it. You can feed the distillers up to 30% to 40% of the total dry matter intake. This is not by weight. By weight you can go higher. Wet distillers usually runs around 60% moisture where we get it.

Tomlin

Can you get me a name and number for the outfit that bags on farm??

Goodbef

Thanks, that was the info. I was looking for.

Howdyjabo,
A NEAR-BY FARMER BUYS FROM THESE GUYS
MINIMUM OF 23 TONS
Wayne Spady 1 877-893-9655 Out of Wiiliamsburg, VA.

Analysis-
DM....32% FAT... 8% Ca..\.27
CP.....34% TDN...76% P...\ .57
ADF....24% NEL...83MCAL/LB Mg...\.18
NDF....49% NSC..4% K...\.08

Latest posts