Wet and Warm!

Help Support CattleToday:

branguscowgirl

Reaction score
Northern California has been getting a much needed drink of water these past couple of weeks! Rain followed by sunshine and warm weather is making my pastures shoot up. I have been able to reduce my hay bill by 50%. :banana:
The cattle and horses started actually walking away at feeding time to go and graze. So they are definitely getting plenty of new grass. I do not envy those of you dealing with all that snow and cold weather, :) except for the fact that you do not live in California!! If it was not for the weather and family here, I wouldn't either! :lol: But I do love our weather, (and my family!)

Glad to hear you are getting some much needed moisture! Droughts suck! Hope the moisture keeps coming your way!

branguscowgirl":1f7pxxlx said:
Are any of you having good feed coming on yet in your areas?

No, but soon... I think, 3 or 4 weeks. Glad you have rain.

Was nice and warm here too for nearly a week, then woke up this morning to 25* F.

Mainly cloudy this evening. Then a mix of wintry precipitation expected overnight. Low 33F. Winds light and variable. Chance of precip 50%. Snow and ice accumulations less than one inch.

greybeard":1yj9fwan said:
Was nice and warm here too for nearly a week, then woke up this morning to 25* F.

Mainly cloudy this evening. Then a mix of wintry precipitation expected overnight. Low 33F. Winds light and variable. Chance of precip 50%. Snow and ice accumulations less than one inch.
.....Do you have feed coming on yet?

we're not that cold, but the mountains could sure use more snow... up until 2 weeks ago it looked like we're going to have a late summer water shortage... we have gotten a little but more wouldn't hurt

Nesikep":3w1vjpi0 said:
we're not that cold, but the mountains could sure use more snow... up until 2 weeks ago it looked like we're going to have a late summer water shortage... we have gotten a little but more wouldn't hurt
Where I lived in southern Oregon, we got very little snow and it was almost always green......but very muddy!

It's too dry to be green around here unless you actively work at it... we get about 8 inches of rain on a dry year.. 12 on a wet one, and most of it is in the winter... I'd say from may-october we rarely get 2 inches... and it can be 100F from end of may to beginning of september, though it's no common to have that heat for the whole time

Nesikep":zc3ktbu9 said:
It's too dry to be green around here unless you actively work at it... we get about 8 inches of rain on a dry year.. 12 on a wet one, and most of it is in the winter... I'd say from may-october we rarely get 2 inches... and it can be 100F from end of may to beginning of september, though it's no common to have that heat for the whole time
I guess I don't know much about Canada. For some reason, I thought it was much wetter than that. :mrgreen:

If you just go 100 miles south you get 100 inches of rain a year... we're just in the rainshadow of some big mountains and in a canyon that reflects the heat well

melking":2faah7f6 said:
Cabo":2faah7f6 said:
Dang, I opened this thread thinking she was talking about something else.

I must confess that I also opened it up not knowing what to expect. :lol:
:lol2: Gotcha!! :mrgreen: So how is your grass growing?

backhoeboogie":16qjwblg said:
melking":16qjwblg said:
Cabo":16qjwblg said:
Dang, I opened this thread thinking she was talking about something else.

I must confess that I also opened it up not knowing what to expect. :lol:

Uh huh.
Sorry about all the disappointment, it was not intentional. :hide:
Subject change: Wet and Warm weather, has been perfect for growing grass! :D

We didn't get anywhere near as much as you did but we got enough to help quite a bit. I had quite a bit of fileria that got started earlier that was just about done that shot out and took off growing within a day of the storm.

branguscowgirl":xu09cqbg said:
Sorry about all the disappointment, it was not intentional. :hide:
Subject change: Wet and Warm weather, has been perfect for growing grass! :D

I'm glad it is warm and wet there. Most anyplace in my hay feeding area is so muddy that when I step in a cow track, muddy water squirts up to my crotch and it certainly is not warm. Come on spring.

Latest posts