Westerns

Help Support CattleToday:

Lots of great movies mentioned already. Had almost forgotten about some of them. Besides Josie Wales, I have to agree with those who mentioned Goin' South, Jeremiah Johnson, Butch Cassidy, Unforgiven, and Blazing Saddles. Am going to try and get ahold of the ones mentioned that I haven't seen although I've seen most of them. So if you don't hear from me for a few days, I'll be watching movies.

Speaking of Unforgiven, it was the first western to get the Oscar for best picture since a movie called Cimmarron in 1931. Hard to believe with all the great ones out there.

Lonesome Dove, Tombstone, The Trinity movies, Cowboys and Saddle The Wind are some of my favorites. :)

Seems like Kurt Douglas had a movie named the Outlaw or something like that. Arnold was in it along with a bunch of comedians. The biggest comedian was the horse named Whiskey

dun

stocky":vh0sd14k said:
Conagher, as well as the other Louis L'amour stories were much better read as books, although the movies were very good.

You are right about the books being better, but the movies were good. Do you have a favorite Louis L'Amour book? Among my favorites (can't choose just one, he is much too good of a writer to just have one) are Guns of the Timberlands, The Sackett Brand, The Daybreakers, Ride the Dark Trail, Brionne, and the one about Rye and the gambler - can't think of the name of it, though. :oops:

MssCamp, I have alot of favorites from Louis L'amour. However, the number one would have to be To Tame a Land. Ryan Tyler was the youngster and he had a gambler friend, so that might be the one you are thinking about. One of my best friends named his son Ryan Tyler after that character. If you aren't thinking of that one, you must be thinking of the one with Val Durrant as the youngster and Will Reilly as the gambler who was in love with a Russian lady, Reilly's Luck was that book. I have all of his books and at least 50 could qualify as being "my favorite". I sure do miss not getting a new book from him 2 or 3 times per year. The last few that his kids finished are not the same, you can tell a difference in detail and description in the story and you dont become involved as much as when he wrote them. Each of the books you mentioned are favorites of mine also. I think I could discuss L'amour's books indefinitely---lol

Legends of the Fall is my all time favorite.
Still like to watch the old classics with The Duke, Roy and Gene. Rember sitting on Saturday and watching Hoppalong Cassity, Cisco and Pancho, Kimosabe and Tonto(were friends until the lone ranger found out what Kimosabe really ment). Nice to take a stroll back to times when the only worry was, will I get in trouble for letting the chickens out. DMc

Ryan Tyler

Coincidence, certainly...my daughter has never read a Louis Lamour book...I've read a lot of them.

Anyway, back to the coincidence. Her first son, my first precious grandson, is named Tyler. Her second son, my second precious grandson, is named Ryan.

Too cool!

Alice

Susie David":pc9t8ewk said:
Rember sitting on Saturday and watching Hoppalong Cassity, Cisco and Pancho, Kimosabe and Tonto(were friends until the lone ranger found out what Kimosabe really ment). Nice to take a stroll back to times when the only worry was, will I get in trouble for letting the chickens out. DMc

We must be about the same age. Roy Rogers and Dale Evans came to our town once when I was around 6 or so and my folks took me to see them. What a thrill that was!

Still have an old Hopalong Cassidy record that I used to listen to over and over when I was a kid.

msscamp":ex2n1r1o said:
stocky":ex2n1r1o said:
Conagher, as well as the other Louis L'amour stories were much better read as books, although the movies were very good.

You are right about the books being better, :

They are way better than the movies in my opinon.How does one pick a favorite book never mind characters Kilkenny, Ryan Tyler , Chancy, Orlando,Jubal , Logan ,Tye ,Orrin Sackett, Milo Talon,

stocky":3mc5qf7g said:
MssCamp, I have alot of favorites from Louis L'amour. However, the number one would have to be To Tame a Land. Ryan Tyler was the youngster and he had a gambler friend, so that might be the one you are thinking about. One of my best friends named his son Ryan Tyler after that character. If you aren't thinking of that one, you must be thinking of the one with Val Durrant as the youngster and Will Reilly as the gambler who was in love with a Russian lady, Reilly's Luck was that book. I have all of his books and at least 50 could qualify as being "my favorite". I sure do miss not getting a new book from him 2 or 3 times per year. The last few that his kids finished are not the same, you can tell a difference in detail and description in the story and you dont become involved as much as when he wrote them. Each of the books you mentioned are favorites of mine also. I think I could discuss L'amour's books indefinitely---lol

I was thinking of "Reilly's Luck" and got Val's name wrong - for some reason I always get that book mixed up with "To Tame a Land". :oops: "To Tame a Land" was excellent, too. I'm not sure I have all of Louis L'Amour's books, but I think I come pretty close. I didn't realize his kids had finished some of his books - maybe that explains why I had trouble getting into a couple of his newer books that I bought. As you stated, there was just something missing. I don't remember what the titles were, and I didn't keep them, but I was disappointed with them. He was one helluva writer! ;-)

twodogpointer":u8zs03fd said:
I've got to mention Support Your Local Sheriff & Support Your Local Gunfighter. Those two are absolutely classic!

I've never seen "Support Your Local Sheriff", but I have seen "Support your Local Gunfighter", and it was good!

frenchie":fywr3old said:
msscamp":fywr3old said:
stocky":fywr3old said:

You are right about the books being better, :

How does one pick a favorite book never mind characters Kilkenny, Ryan Tyler , Chancy, Orlando,Jubal , Logan ,Tye ,Orrin Sackett, Milo Talon,

I don't know - I just go by the ones that stay in my memory and I can easily recall the titles to. :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol: In truth, every book Louis L'Amour ever wrote is one of my favorites! I've wore out more than one with repeat readings and now have to be very careful with them. Speaking of characters, how about Nita Riordan, Em Sackett, I don't remember her name - but the wife in "Brionne" was one helluva woman! How about the lady in "The Burning Hills"? The young gypsy lady that the Sackett brothers were employed to rescue and return to her family was no fainting heart, either - can't remember the name of that book and too darned tired to go look. :oops: :lol: :lol:

msscamp ..you know what I like best about his books . I could hand a book to one of my daughters and have no worries about what they read inside.

frenchie":3oa6i06y said:
msscamp ..you know what I like best about his books . I could hand a book to one of my daughters and have no worries about what they read inside.

Yep! :D

Anyone have some Clarence Mulford books on Hopalong and Bar 20 gang? I read one called Hopalong Cassidy and it was good! Kind of interested in getting my hands on some more books of Mulford's, looked in the bookstores for them but found they were out of print.

All the Sackett books I have, and the four books of Hoppy's adventures that L'amour wrote. All a great read.

Also, there's some books of Richard Hobson Jr. (Nothing Too Good For A Cowboy) that I've read. They've got some real dry cowboy humor in them, and really good stories of the northern interoir BC, of trailing a herd of cattle to the Cariboo mountains (I think...) in a bitter snowstorm in the mountains... with a touch of humor, of course...

Karin

Can sort of guess the vintage of our posters by the taste in movies...me, born in '46 just in case y'all were wondering
Nice thing about the Louis L'amour settings they are accurate. Used to read him years ago when living in southern Arizona and took to traveling the same areas where the stories were supposed to take place...by God, when he described a rock formation it was there. DMc

Latest posts