We're really just grass farmers.

Help Support CattleToday:

redangus

Reaction score
Once you get your herd, and we're always trying to improve what we have. That's what we are though...grass farmers.

I'm on the upper end of the humid subtropical climate just west of Little Rock Arkansas. When you reach Fayetteville AR, you enter a continental climate which means you get a colder winter...signifigant snow and that mess.

I've thought a lot about seeding red clover in with my bermuda grass, but I like to spray more than I brush hog so the clover is dead. Is fescue & spraying or clover and brush hogging my best bet for pasture mixed with bermuda?

I live in a different world than you. But my extention agent said this would work nearly anywere. I overseed with rye grass in the winter and summers with my coastal I have hairy vetch growing. Works great. I don't like to brush hog either. The spraying is my thing. One just needs to select chemical and application times for what they have planted. I use alot of MSMA for summer and spring green up. Don't have problems in the winter.

Scotty

When I use it, I wait 20 days before hay is harvested or use it after last cutting. It does have arsenic in it though. An ext. agent said, "after 20 days you should be okay....but I didn't tell you that."

I thought MSMA was toxic to cattle?

If we're just grass farmers, then I'd say we all did a pretty good job this year, and in my case there was very little effort. I would take this kind of summer and rainfall every year.

Pharmer":20h0kwwf said:
If we're just grass farmers, then I'd say we all did a pretty good job this year, and in my case there was very little effort. I would take this kind of summer and rainfall every year.

Amen to that, Pharmer :D

george

It just amazes me being on both sides of the farming spectrum that I spend hald of my time making grass grow and the other half trying to kill it. Things that make you go hmmm.

JB

Latest posts