Went bull shopping.

Help Support CattleToday:

LimiMan

Reaction score
Well I went looking today for another bull so I went to Express since their sale is coming up. They sure have a nice selection of anugs and percentage bull and also their limousin groups looked very nice, I found a couple that I might try and bring home. :D

I just recieved the express catolog and thought that it had a couple of good bulls. What worries me is how small the REA are on all of there bulls. When I chose a bull he had better have at least a 15 REA at a year. It takes at least that to have enough muscle to make up for the generic black cow that everybody and there brother seems to think is the answer to the beef business.

They are rather small. Smaller than I would have expected. By the way,since you have your catolog, there is an Angus bull expected to bring $90-100 thousand, can you pick him out?

LimiMan":wm3r8zqx said:
They are rather small. Smaller than I would have expected. By the way,since you have your catolog, there is an Angus bull expected to bring $90-100 thousand, can you pick him out?
It's PAYBACK time for some sucker huh. :lol: :lol:

I have a feeling that it will be on that has a huge MARB. Which makes no scence to me. I am a firm believer in the fact that if the packers are saying there are to many yeild grade 4's that it is time to change you program. A $100,000 and a $20,000 bull have always looked a lot a like to me.

It must be the pwr up bull, number 1. He looks like a good bull.
I was at the EX a couple different times and watch a bull or two sell for over $80,000. It is fun to watch. I went on a Wagon ride and had the option of going on a helocopter ride over the ranch but was to busy looking at bulls, stupid. Last year my wife and I saw the Oak Ridge Boys play there on Bob Funks indoor tennis court. Cool place, nicest and one of the smartest men you will ever meet.

LimiMan":2lixlq3i said:
This one really stands out from the others.
LimiMan-I have been sitting here for several minutes attempting to phrase my post in such a way so as to not sound too critical - because Express Ranches obviously is a BIG operation with BIG BUCKS poured into the development of their product(s) - - but - -

Okay - here goes. LimiMan, WHICH bull ". . . .stands out from the others"??? And in what particular way or manner does your choice stand out from the others??

Frankly - - with the 'crowd' of excellent looking females pictured in the catalog - I am surprised to say the absolute least by the lack of BEEF quality displayed by the pictures of the bulls for sale. The EPD's obviously are showing the trend toward lower BW, lower YW, higher %IMF, and reduced Milk EPD's which has been generally accepted as desirable the past few years for those breeders geared toward a Rotational-type system, and I don't have a quarrel with that premise. However, In MY Opinion, the Phenotype of the majority of the bulls offered (as shown in THESE pictures only) is a classic example of- - -are you ready for this? "FUNNEL BUTTS"! The rear halves of these bulls look as if they don't even belong to the front halves! There are a few exceptions, but overall I think that the offering they have this year is a grave disappointment. . . . .and . . .anyone who pays anywhere near $100,000 for one of these bulls is NOT doing so because of the QUALITY of the individual animal. Public Relations, Advertisement and PAYBACK, as la4Angus suggested has more to do with it than legitimacy.

I am not talking about the Limousin display at all. The above opinion is in regard to the Angus Bulls ONLY!

DOC HARRIS

I agree with everything that Doc says. I am a breeder of both Limousin, angus, and Limi-flex cattle. Our ranch is very conserned with the lack of attention payed to the actual product we are producing. BEEF. I have a lot of kill sheets and have seen all that I want to from costomers. That makes us feel good. The problem I have is that most of the buyers of these "funnel bulls" sell there calves in the fall and forget about them. No past history or even a care to get one. The feeder is the guy that is left with the offspring and the eventual 4's. This is the first time I have been in any Q and A. You guys make it at least interesting.

LimiMan":1xf0e7vy said:
Well I went looking today for another bull so I went to Express since their sale is coming up. They sure have a nice selection of anugs and percentage bull and also their limousin groups looked very nice, I found a couple that I might try and bring home. :D

If you don't get anything bought, the OBI sale is March 30th at Stillwater. There'll be lots of Angus bulls; don't know about Limousin.

DOC HARRIS":22d4m4oq said:
LimiMan":22d4m4oq said:
This one really stands out from the others.
LimiMan-I have been sitting here for several minutes attempting to phrase my post in such a way so as to not sound too critical - because Express Ranches obviously is a BIG operation with BIG BUCKS poured into the development of their product(s) - - but - -

Okay - here goes. LimiMan, WHICH bull ". . . .stands out from the others"??? And in what particular way or manner does your choice stand out from the others??

Frankly - - with the 'crowd' of excellent looking females pictured in the catalog - I am surprised to say the absolute least by the lack of BEEF quality displayed by the pictures of the bulls for sale. The EPD's obviously are showing the trend toward lower BW, lower YW, higher %IMF, and reduced Milk EPD's which has been generally accepted as desirable the past few years for those breeders geared toward a Rotational-type system, and I don't have a quarrel with that premise. However, In MY Opinion, the Phenotype of the majority of the bulls offered (as shown in THESE pictures only) is a classic example of- - -are you ready for this? "FUNNEL BUTTS"! The rear halves of these bulls look as if they don't even belong to the front halves! There are a few exceptions, but overall I think that the offering they have this year is a grave disappointment. . . . .and . . .anyone who pays anywhere near $100,000 for one of these bulls is NOT doing so because of the QUALITY of the individual animal. Public Relations, Advertisement and PAYBACK, as la4Angus suggested has more to do with it than legitimacy.

I am not talking about the Limousin display at all. The above opinion is in regard to the Angus Bulls ONLY!

DOC HARRIS

I agree, But this bulls pic is not in the sale book, and the bulls look alot better in person than they do in the book.

LimiMan":3tbo8f2a said:
THe bull I was talking about at the express sale just brought 263,000. ;-)

That is a lot of money for a bull, even a good bull. In the 80's I saw two 1 million dollar bulls sell at Brinks in Sisterdale, TX. During the sale the wifes went shopping. Just as the high dollar bulls started to sell they returned. Seeing we guys on the other side of the room, one of the wifes, not reallizing what was happening, started waving at us and the auctioneer took her bid thinking she was biding. She reallized he had and she just started screeming and shaking her head and the auctineer reversted his bid. It was up to about 850,000 when that happen. Everybody at the sale laughed. It sure did east the tension. LOL

I watched the sale off and on, prices held up pretty good while it was on RFD. I'm no pro but I thought good bunch of bulls. Maybe not best rear legs on some.

FYI... THE angus bulls avg. $5,755.17 and netted a total of $1.89 million. THe whole sale with females,limousin cattle and the angus netted 2.38 million.

Latest posts