Well water

Help Support CattleToday:

jj216

Reaction score
Got a new well dug when I built my new house.400 foot drilled.Anyway we got in the house about 2 weeks ago and the water is horrible.Stinks to high heaven and I wouldnt even think about drinking it.I could almost deal with that but the worst is it stains our clothes redish brown.I sent a sample to UGA and it came back sky high in iron 2.02 ppg.I called the well co. and they said I need some kind of ariating??? system that theyll gladly put in for 2400 dollars.I was wondering if any of yall know any other options I may have or is that my only choice and is that price about right.That old bored well and single wide are looking pretty good right now. Thanks

That's about right for those systems. In fact, my brother just installed one and his was over $4,000.00.

He put his in himself and it works great!

aerator system will only make the smell go away. it wont help the iron content. a softener might or a carbon (charcoal)type filter but its all gonna set ya back a few dollars. closer to 3000 probly. it might smell but its still probly better fer ya than the city water you buy.

had you not lived in this area before? im wondering how this came as a surprise to you. not to bust on ya but im always in a wonder how things like this creep up on people.

somethin else to keep in mind most people dont is that the smell you dont like is probly sulphur. sulphur vapor will go from your water as you shower to become fumes that when mixed with the condensation on your a/c coils will eat them up as well over time.. along with all your fixtures in your house. the above system will remedy all these issues....goood luck

Actually ,I lived in this area all my life and never had it this bad.Ive had two different wells that were fine,one on this same property but it was a shallow bored well.the smell aint sulfur its the metallic iron smell.This is hill country and maybye the water is different at different depths.I dont know Im not a well expert like you.And this aint Florida.

None taken.Id love to have county water but its about 15 miles away.Maybye one day theyll get this far.I probably should have stuck to the cheaper bored well but pressure and volume can be an issue.They promise you the world with these deap drilled wells as far as gallons per minute.Now it looks like I get to spend some more money along with my 5000 dollar well.Just pi77es me off a little.Thanks

I know this is hindsight but usually if you get a driller who has experience in your area he will know some of the problems at different depths. The guy who drilled ours said at 400 ft. too much salt and 600 too much sulfur and that he would probably have to go to almost 1000 ft. Sure enough he hit heavy salt around 650 and had to go on further down to 990. Of course, every foot deeper runs up the cost.

He probably has alot expierience and knew hed get to sale me his 2400 dollar filtering system.My plumber put a three stage filtering system on it at the well and that dont put a dent in it.Ive checked around and the well man is the only one who will gurantee his system will take care of the problem so hes probably sold quite a few.

I agree with what dieselbeef said. If it smells like rotten eggs then it is probably sulphur. I have a well that is off the scale in iron content and it smells too but a different smell. Aeration will not take iron out. I bought a $600 unit to take the iron out but it needed to be replaced about every 4 years. I did some investigation and found out there is a depth down here that is iron/sulphur free. I had another well put down and got rid of the iron.

On the farm I have 6 inch and 4 inch well both over 400 feet deep. Full of sulphur but the cows don't seem to mind.

If your clothes are turning orange it is a good bet it is an iron problem. That is what mine did. Take a sample of your water to a reliable treatment center or get kit and do it yourself. Most just want to sell you something.

Whole house filter, with 5 micron filter. $30 from Home Depot. R/O system for drinking and ice maker, $150 from Sears. Iron is a smaller particle. You need an iron filter system. Last I checked, Sears has them for around $900. Easy to install.

the 2400 deal doesnt sound totally outrageuos. if hes guaranteeing results tell him youll pay him when its proven. id got with that deal its fair

Thanks for the replies.Keep em comin if ya got anymore advice.I guess for now I wont wear any white clothes.Good thing Ive got some colored underwear .Its a little cool out.Ill let yall know what I end up doin.Thanks

dieselbeef":l1immmms said:
aerator system will only make the smell go away. it wont help the iron content. a softener might or a carbon (charcoal)type filter but its all gonna set ya back a few dollars. closer to 3000 probly. it might smell but its still probly better fer ya than the city water you buy.

had you not lived in this area before? im wondering how this came as a surprise to you. not to bust on ya but im always in a wonder how things like this creep up on people.

:roll: I had two wells drilled on the same place not 1/4 mile apart on the same ridge, one is just as sweet and good as you would want, the other has very high iron and stinks like he!!.

somethin else to keep in mind most people dont is that the smell you dont like is probly sulphur. sulphur vapor will go from your water as you shower to become fumes that when mixed with the condensation on your a/c coils will eat them up as well over time.. along with all your fixtures in your house. the above system will remedy all these issues....goood luck

I have a well that has about the same charactoristics as yours. I don't use it indoors. Mine is also high in iron, and has a strong rotten egg smell. It is a high magnesiun content in my case. On my sample it also showed this as well. I have drank it but it aint very good. I can let it sit and it will settle out in the bottom. The settlement looks like white sand but once you disturb it it disolves back into the water. Cows drink it with no problem, so far none of them have turned orange. :D They will walk past a pond and across a creek to get to a tub of well water. I have been reluctant to try getting by without feeding a high mag. mineral in the spring. I just don't want to take the risk. Maybe someone smarter than me can answer that.

I've been in what sounds like the same situation.
New house, 300 ft well, high iron, and stink from ground sulphurs.

After passing on all of the kind $2500 offers we had, we started our own program.

We have four filters total, but bear with me.
Using standard whole house filter canisters, from Lowes or Home Depot, maybe $30 each.
1st filter--rope or paper filter- 10 micron, traps iron and
sediment that will clog faucet screens and screw up your
hot water tank after time.
2nd filter-- charcoal cartridge filter 5 micron- will take out
most of the smell, enough you'll enjoy taking showers
again! We still had a problem with taste. Bought all our
drinking and cooking water at store.
3rd and 4rth filter--I bought as one unit for under sink mount
for drinking water. Came with faucet for about $60
In it I use another 5 micron charcoal, and then a .5 micron
charcoal filter.
Now even my wife says "Thank You"
No bad taste, no after taste, even the hard water stains in the toilet bowls have all but gone.

We change filters every 90 days for a cost of about $30

Hope this helps. Good luck.

The sulpher smell is probably hydrogen sulfide gas which is a by product of sulpher bacteria. If the concentration is 10 ppm or less, aeration or air injection is somewhat effective. If the concentration is higher than 10 ppm, the most effective way to treat hydrogen sulphide is to inject chlorine and then run it through a green sand filter. A simple solution of clorox and water is used as the source for chlorine Higher levels of chlorine are required for higher concentrations of hydrogen sulfide. Charts are provided with these systems to obtain the proper mixture of clorox and water to make sure that there is little residual chlorine for drinking purposes. A similar system is used to treat iron bacteria. These systems are very effective!

Latest posts