weird lumps on cow

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Has anyone out there ever had a cow develop large lumpy looking knots all over there body ? We recently had to giver her tetracyline for what we thought was lumpy jaw but as we soon realized the wounds looked that of a bullet wound with a smaller opening and then a larger one...we really still don't know for sure what happened but the wound itself looks a lot better but now she has broke out with these large lumps all over its so weird...My husbands nephew was shooting his 22 one day at some newtrius...Spelling ? and we rememberd seeing the cows take off running and freaking out but he was quite a ways away from the herd but we are not to sure he didn't graze the old girl in the jaw area under her neck...So is there some idea maybe someone has as what it could be ? She looks healthy otherwise..Her coat is very shiny and doesn't seem to be bothered anymore with the wound..At first she had been weazing a bit before we did the antibiotics but I haven't been around her the last 2 wks with little league going on and my life on hold until ball season is over...Thanks for your help

most likely he shot her. they will either stay there or get rubbed off. give that young'n a talkn to about being careful where hes shooting. get any nutrias?

are you sure its not stings from like hornets or something?

Large lumps all over the body or just where the original wound was? All over wouldnt be a result of getting hit with a 22 slug. You could have more than one thing going on if your pretty sure the first wound was a gunshot

if she grazed close to a hornet nest (maybe in the ground) this would explain the stinging and swelling under the neck and jaw area. the swelling could also complicate breathing. also this would explain the cows freaking out and running away. how big are the lumps and where?

fishermanswoman":3agzkred said:
Has anyone out there ever had a cow develop large lumpy looking knots all over there body ? We recently had to giver her tetracyline for what we thought was lumpy jaw but as we soon realized the wounds looked that of a bullet wound with a smaller opening and then a larger one...we really still don't know for sure what happened but the wound itself looks a lot better but now she has broke out with these large lumps all over its so weird...My husbands nephew was shooting his 22 one day at some newtrius...Spelling ? and we rememberd seeing the cows take off running and freaking out but he was quite a ways away from the herd but we are not to sure he didn't graze the old girl in the jaw area under her neck...So is there some idea maybe someone has as what it could be ? She looks healthy otherwise..Her coat is very shiny and doesn't seem to be bothered anymore with the wound..At first she had been weazing a bit before we did the antibiotics but I haven't been around her the last 2 wks with little league going on and my life on hold until ball season is over...Thanks for your help

The northern cattle grub also lays eggs on the legs and belly region, however, only single eggs are deposited on individual hairs. Although there is no pain at the time of oviposition, the cattle become terrified when the northern cattle grub adult fly is flying about. The cattle react to the sound produced by the bee-like fly. Usually the adult fly is found from February through May when they cause the cattle to run across pastures (gadding).

The eggs will hatch within a week and the maggots burrow through the skin. The young maggots migrate through the connective tissue of the animal for much of the summer. In late summer, the first stage maggots move to the mucous membrane of the esophagus (common cattle grub) or to the spinal column (northern cattle grub). In Florida, the migrating first stage larvae reach the backs by early fall (October). Once there, they cut or digest a hole in the skin for air.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/IG126

Sound familiar?

Latest posts