Weird horse treats

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
While posting on beet pulp I thought about different types of treats I have handed to horse, not the regular piece of apple, carrot, sugar, ect. I have 3 horses that love red licorce whips, I have some them like hard pepperment candy any others out there that I can have fun with?

Alan

Alan":12xx59fu said:
While posting on beet pulp I thought about different types of treats I have handed to horse, not the regular piece of apple, carrot, sugar, ect. I have 3 horses that love red licorce whips, I have some them like hard pepperment candy any others out there that I can have fun with?

Alan

Ours love black licorice. Had a boarder whose horses loved ginger snaps, too.

msscamp":2vk2df4s said:
Alan":2vk2df4s said:

Alan

Ours love black licorice. Had a boarder whose horses loved ginger snaps, too.

You reminded me about different cookies we fed in the past.

Alan

warpaint":2wsqddvb said:
Old Dog/New Tricks":2wsqddvb said:
You best keep track of your Beer when you around my friend's Hubie's horse.

Had an Appy once that could down a six pack in no time. :lol:

You can't be serious! :eek: :eek: :eek: :shock: Are you?

ground apricots ...

be careful ... any "stone" fruit including the tree leaves and bark are poisonous to horses. (Peach, Cherry, Apricots, etc.)

Large elbow macaroni (good for horses who have ulcers and can't have sugary treats), my horse loves beer - dark beer better than regular, fruit loop cereal, frosted mini-wheats. :)

I'll have to give the MD a try lol. My horses are pretty average...they even refuse peppermints. Carrots and apples, or the "Manna Pro" version of those treats. Only thing they acquired a taste for was acorns when they were pastured around one.

born2run":2n3ff8zk said:
I'll have to give the MD a try lol. My horses are pretty average...they even refuse peppermints. Carrots and apples, or the "Manna Pro" version of those treats. Only thing they acquired a taste for was acorns when they were pastured around one.

Acorns can be very toxic. At least for donkeys. I had a wind storm last year that blew a whole bunch off a tree and one of our jennies got ahold of a bunch before we could rake them up. She was foaming and staggering, black hard stools, falling down, off her feed. Lasted a couple of days before she came out of it. I learned my lesson about acorns.

Mine only like treats out of the bag. Peppermint flavored. They don't like apples or carrots, except for my herdsire, who will eat anything. I give him an apple every other day. That's how we bond.

With the summer produce season in full swing my horses really love me. The favorite of the week is WATERMELON! I cut it into wedges or strips about an inch wide. They eat the whole thing rind and all. What a juicy mess! They also get a few corn husks, stalks of celery or slice or two of stale bread. Equus says that pumpkins (NOT gourds-they can be poisonous) are a favorite, seeds and all. Bon Apetit. K, :D